What bulb for my new 2 x 18650?

bagman

Enlightened
I've got a Leaf C-M 2 x 18650 body on the way from classifieds here plus some 18650's from AW.

I was plannnig to use this set up with my M3T bezel and MN16 LA's

Any other options please?

Rommul

Enlightened
I have the MN16 in T62 turbohead attached to a 12ZM and I love it.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW cells you mentioned might, if they're the newest ones, but will require a double click if they work at all. They'll work with a double click on the ROP Hi, but I believe the MN21 draws even more current.
Unprotected 18650s like the LG 2600mAh would probably be your best bet.

edit: I've thought of doing that very thing with one of Leef's C-C 2x18650 bodies and a KT2 turbohead(I can't afford a dedicated C-M body and KT4), but it would probably be a waste for me, even then. I already know that I'm not going to carry a turbohead, and it would just sit in my truck.
I imagine the MN20 would work fine with the AW cells, but don't know if it would be worth it, since you already have MN16s.
Might take a look here, and see what you think:
beamshot database

Last edited:

bagman

Enlightened
Thanks Owen, I think I will stick to the MN16's I should get a good run time with the 2 x 18650's

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the M3/M3T and just purchased one of these bodies as well. I tend to prefer LOLA's for use with Li-ions, so I will be using the MN10, MN15/N2, and MN20 with this setup. I'm really looking forward to the extended runtimes on my M3/M3T lamps! For $60, this body will be an incredible performance enhancement for any M3/M3T owner.

bagman

Enlightened
leukos said:
I tend to prefer LOLA's for use with Li-ions, so I will be using the MN10, MN15/N2, and MN20 with this setup.

Leukos - why do you prefer the LOLA's with Li-Ion's please?

I've been running the MN16 on 2 x 17500's for several months now without any problems.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bagman,

There is probably nothing to worry about with your current setup, but the power of 2x 18650 may be too much for the MN16. Years ago several CPFers reported HOLAs exploding in their turbo heads when used with Li-ions, but I haven't read of it much lately. As you know, SF lamps are engineered to work with the characteristics of primary lithium batteries which tend to sag more under load than Li-ions, especially at high amp draws. So SF is counting on the voltage sag of the batteries for the lamp not to be over driven. Due to different internal chemistry (less internal resistance), Li-ions tend to overdrive HOLAs, and the more powerful the Li-ion the greater the chance for an HOLA failure. Conversely, LOLAs are rated for a higher voltage because there is less voltage sag from primaries due to the lamp's lower amp draw. This higher resistance of the LOLA better matches the characteristics of Li-ions, a battery configuration for which SF lamps are not designed. So you are probably safe with the MN16 and a pair of 17500's, but 2x 18650 might be too much.

bagman

Enlightened
leukos said:
bagman,

There is probably nothing to worry about with your current setup, but the power of 2x 18650 may be too much for the MN16. Years ago several CPFers reported HOLAs exploding in their turbo heads when used with Li-ions, but I haven't read of it much lately. As you know, SF lamps are engineered to work with the characteristics of primary lithium batteries which tend to sag more under load than Li-ions, especially at high amp draws. So SF is counting on the voltage sag of the batteries for the lamp not to be over driven. Due to different internal chemistry (less internal resistance), Li-ions tend to overdrive HOLAs, and the more powerful the Li-ion the greater the chance for an HOLA failure. Conversely, LOLAs are rated for a higher voltage because there is less voltage sag from primaries due to the lamp's lower amp draw. This higher resistance of the LOLA better matches the characteristics of Li-ions, a battery configuration for which SF lamps are not designed. So you are probably safe with the MN16 and a pair of 17500's, but 2x 18650 might be too much.

O begger, still I've got a spare MN16 :D