What did you use your flashlight for today?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Reason for flashlight in daytime.

A contractor was to add a section of pipe onto an existing line of pipe. At the same slope of existing pipe. At the end water spills out of.

The last few feet of existing pipe had the top exposed. A 4' level showed those few feet were falling backwards. That meant the existing pipe had to be corrected before new pipe added. But how much is backwards?

I pulled out my Coast HP1 and slid it to spot mode. Now a flashlight competing with sunshine is like Mike Tyson vs Pee Wee Herman... sunshine wins.
The pipe had a stain inside where water flowing leaves a trail. With reverse grade the stain gets wider upstream inside of the pipe until proper grade occurs.

In this case I stuck a rain coat over the end, shined the HP1 upstream and saw only 1 section was backwards.

The irony is this crew scoffed at me a few days ago when I showed them the not 1 but 2 flashlights in my pockets in daytime.

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my Malkoff MDC HA TAC to check the back yard at night for critters, before letting the dog out. I wanted to make sure that they weren't any bunnies or possums, or turkeys in our fenced yard.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Broken waterpipe under the kitchen sink had me scampering on my crutches to fix it. Had the MH20 in my pocket, made it stand in .3 inch of water while I fixed the leak.

Richub

Enlightened
Didn't post in a long while, but used a lot of flashlights a lot of times in those months. :)

One of the best uses was last december in a hospital: I got a bad case of erysipelas on both legs which ended me up in hospital for two weeks.

In the last days I walked along the corridors quite a lot to get some stamina back, and I saw a couple of constructors working on some wiring in a dark part of the corridor. I heard one of them cuss out the other for not bringing a flashlight with him, and the second man returned the favor. ;)

I just walked by, returned to my room, picked up my trusty Fenix PD31 out of my coat pocket, and walked back with that PD31 in my pocket. They were still muttering about not having enough light to work in, and I just turned that PD31 on on medium.
Next thing, I saw two totally surprised faces. ;)

Here were two constructors not carrying any flashlight at all when they definitively needed one, and in comes a patient, still on IV antibiotics, and handed them a decent flashlight so they could finish the job with decent lighting.
That really made my day. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Used my Bushnell penlight to show an older co-worker where the horribly annoying, loud buzzing sound from the front desk comes from. A pair of stacked monitor boxes have a fan built into the back of the desk that sometimes acts up. (Some idiot constructed the fan around the desk over 20 years ago, if not longer. With no way to access the small fan for cleaning.)

Because of the position of the fan in relation to the two boxes, it does sound as though the annoying sound comes from the boxes. It really does. Even the oldest security officer there (just under 20 years on the job) thinks the sound is coming from the boxes. Awhile back, I discovered the real culprit. I also discovered that if you jam the wooden stick that the main work-keys are attached to into the blades of the little fan, the insanity driving noise; stops!

This particular co-worker usually rushes out the door when I relieve him. Yesterday, he stayed awhile because the noise was driving him crazy and he wanted to know exactly where that fan was along with how to stop the noise. He knew I had both of that info. He was very grateful for the help.

Ishango

Enlightened
Today was a shameful day, but also had a proud moment. I Sas at my girlfriends place. She needed something from the room where her daughter was sleeping, it was dark, so she needed a light. She came to me and asked me for mine. I did not carry one at the time (was in my coat pocket). I wanted to go grab it, but she beat me and grabbed her Nitecore Tube which I gave her a while back. Been a while that I got caught without a light on me.

low

Enlightened
Used it to make a phone call! Come on, this may well be the next wave of using light. You will be able to download any app you want to for just about any settings that you want, multiple sub lumen levels all the way to multiple low levels, I feel that is it until they come up something with a little throw, thus adding medium levels.

ven

Flashaholic
Used my convoy m2 with a 4c tint too many times over the last week!! Coolant leak from the upper coolant header tank. Then after replacing said hose(fubar), daily checks or whenever used to make sure the smell of coolant(all in the gearbox castings) is not fresh and just from the original split hose leak.

Used the 6p with nichia triple to inspect/touch up some skirting boards the other night as the front room is dimly lit(great).

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used the Armytek Wizard Pro Warm to work on my new bike. I'm still waiting for a front derailleur to come in the mail (the tracking info hasn't updated since Tuesday but hopefully it will be here soon), so all I did was route the cable, but at least it's a start. I can't wait for the derailleur to arrive and finish the job with the same headlamp (and then to ride it later on too)!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Used it to make a phone call! Come on, this may well be the next wave of using light. You will be able to download any app you want to for just about any settings that you want, multiple sub lumen levels all the way to multiple low levels, I feel that is it until they come up something with a little throw, thus adding medium levels.

This notion produces a thread every couple of weeks where a common conclusion is that you will break your phone, drain its battery, be owned by h4X0rs, suffer some malady because of the former, and as an ersatz flashlight it will never work for your situation anyway.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think I have a problem. I literally couldn't wait for the derailleur haha. Found a shop 30 minutes away that had one in stock so I bought it and installed it tonight with the headlamp. Really looking forward to riding tomorrow! Now to return the other one when it arrives!!!

ven

Flashaholic
Well I think I have a problem. I literally couldn't wait for the derailleur haha. Found a shop 30 minutes away that had one in stock so I bought it and installed it tonight with the headlamp. Really looking forward to riding tomorrow! Now to return the other one when it arrives!!!

You are like me blah, get something in the head and need it, now can not be soon enough :laughing: ............did you cycle there:whistle: derailleur-less!

Used the 6p and SOYCD triple nichia to navigate and use generally at night. Its actually no very good for finding HD's as i could not find it!!( i know my fault and not the lights:p )Going to try and use a different light a day! C2 with the N drop in today/tonight uses:) Kind of a round the house light rotation thing ............any excuse!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha nope, I drove so the place didn't close on me! Now I'm about to go out on a ride with the Fenix BC30 turned on to help with visibility even though it's the daytime.

SAMongoose

Enlightened
Walking in a dark park together with my 4y old son carrying a K60 and K70.A guy came from the road and put his brights on us. It was not standard and hurt my eyes. Told my son to close his eyes. I replied with both flashlights on his face. (50meters away). He dimmed his lights in a second...lol. I took to the heavens with my lights. He came to me and asked what that was. He could not believe what I showed him. We put his brights on a wall of a vacant building and then both of the flashlights independantly outshined his custom spots. He had 80W (10x8W) LED in one spot. So 160W Total. He will be buying from me soon....Im sure.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Reason for flashlight in daytime.

A contractor was to add a section of pipe onto an existing line of pipe. At the same slope of existing pipe. At the end water spills out of.

The last few feet of existing pipe had the top exposed. A 4' level showed those few feet were falling backwards. That meant the existing pipe had to be corrected before new pipe added. But how much is backwards?

I pulled out my Coast HP1 and slid it to spot mode. Now a flashlight competing with sunshine is like Mike Tyson vs Pee Wee Herman... sunshine wins.
The pipe had a stain inside where water flowing leaves a trail. With reverse grade the stain gets wider upstream inside of the pipe until proper grade occurs.

In this case I stuck a rain coat over the end, shined the HP1 upstream and saw only 1 section was backwards.

The irony is this crew scoffed at me a few days ago when I showed them the not 1 but 2 flashlights in my pockets in daytime.
That's a pretty clever observation :thumbsup:

The irony is this crew scoffed at me a few days ago

hopefully now, they'll have found a new level of respect for you. :)