What did you use your flashlight for today?

nevrknow

Newly Enlightened
^^ Well at least the celphone light showed you the boo-gy-man won't lurking in the room.

Check this one out Ven:
At about 8:00 am a fellow at my work told me they had snagged a water service pipe while installing some storm drain pipe. No biggy... or so it seemed.

Due to "pressure zones" the water main could not be turned off. See this main helped lower pressure of the water system nearby. If they kill the water main here pressure will become to high nearby and burst peoples house services down the road a ways.

Gotta fix the leak while the water main was still turned on. Again no big deal... or so it seemed. The water main was made of some of Americas dumbest idea ever. Asbestos cement. Very fragile pipe. And it turned out there was a small crack in it. Little by little the what was a small leak was growing larger until.... the main waterline burst.
Shortly after sundown....
IMG_20171130_023437.jpg

I used my PR-1 on medium to take this photo.
The backhoe bucket over the water spewing stopped it from spraying 50 feet (16m) in the air over traffic during rush hour. Nobody crashed but holy crap, it won't pretty!!

What should have been fixed by lunch time kept me at work until 2:00am.
The car whizzing by... all that water was undercutting the roadway and eventually caused a giant cavern under the pavement. Waterline was fixed by 11 after the county folks finagled pressures to keep things stable while the main was turned off. Then the road had to be fixed.

Between the bill the contractor will get for cops, county workers and the cost of the damages... that little mistake of scraping a pin hole in a pipe could end up being well over $100,000.

Looks like a time when an old boss decided to take 1 more swipe with the bucket when i told him to wait and I would dig it out with a shovel. Idiot pulled a 3/4 service out of an 18" main across the street. He said that wont be to bad. I just laughed and said umm ok. 2 minutes later when the road started caving in...............You and I both know how THAT story ended LOL

Edit: This was on a Friday afternoon about 3pm. Funtimes. NOT.

nevrknow

Newly Enlightened
TY

And oh yea. I think we got out by midnight. Only thing saving us was there were 2 side roads that bypassed that area the cops could redirect traffic to. The other good thing that came out of it. After that my boss would ALWAYS ask me first what the plan of action was. On EVERYTHING. :)

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Participated in a team-building "escape room" exercise. It starts off with us getting locked in a dark room having to find clues.

They handed out "dollar store" flashlights to people.

I just politely declined and thought to myself "You think I need a light. That's cute."

ven

Flashaholic
Cold night last night, so used the single mode sportac 219b( 676 OTF) to help out Madison with the rabbits in the garage. Lots of hay/straw in their cages, the cooly lit up the garage nicely and the 20+ mins of use got it a little warm. Awesome host for handling heat!
4DkQSfsl.jpg

Having this little lumapower and its new 219c 4000k, its been my daily coat pocket light in work. Two reasons, small to not notice in the big hi viz coat, 2nd i wanted to use pretty much solely to really try it out. The 270lm high from 14500 fuel, really does kick out a super nice beam. Nice hot spot size without being too small/tight and enough lumens in the spill to be of use in poor artificial light. Down side is , the 14500 tank is just pretty much useless for any real duration at that output. So use has to be kind of sparingly, where the 6p and sportac would get left on for a min or so between actual use, the lumapower gets switched off to preserve fuel.
geBpZ60l.jpg

Flashlights are the main tools that keep me sane in day to day working!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a time when an old boss decided to take 1 more swipe with the bucket when i told him to wait and I would dig it out with a shovel. Idiot pulled a 3/4 service out of an 18" main across the street. He said that wont be to bad. I just laughed and said umm ok. 2 minutes later when the road started caving in...............You and I both know how THAT story ended LOL

Edit: This was on a Friday afternoon about 3pm. Funtimes. NOT.

Oh, bosses eh.

One time after assembling and PDIing a brand new hot rod cruiser, the customer came to pick it up and decided he wanted the handlebars adjusted to a different position then stock. Well, weeks earlier I had told the service manager we needed to order some of these little chrome plated plastic caps they use to cover the hex bolt holes on the handlebar clamps because they were a one use press fit type of deal and couldn't be removed without damage. Well he decided we didn't need to order any. So, my boss comes back after I told him we can't adjust the handlebars without wrecking those little caps so, he had better warn the customer and get those ordered. Well, my hot headed boss freaks out and says "I will do it then, they will be fine". I warn him again it can't be done but, he says "just give my a damn flat blade screw driver". So I shake me head and go get him one from my tool box while smiling a little. Well, he grabs the small flat blade Snap-on from me and proceeds to not only break the cap in half but put a huge scratch in the top of the handlebar clamps brushed aluminum top. Just then the customer walks into the shop and I shake my head while biting my tongue trying not to say I told you so. Lol, bosses are awesome some times.

I used my Zebralight H502c L2 last night to go and adjust the water heater. It wasn't hot enough for the misses.

Last edited:

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Peering into and cleaning up my ole 3D Maglight from some corroded batteries.

Once that was done I pulled the old light and installed the Malkoff upgrade. I did my own cut with a coping saw on the reflector and probably cut it too short since I have a big black spot in the center so will order the pre-cut reflector now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good score BRM

Yeah, there should not be a big hole in the beam of a Malkoff'd Maglite.

IMG_20171201_213718.jpg

Left is a pre-cut Malkoff. Should be about 1/8" lip remaining.

If you have a "pre-D" Maglite, as in no D in the serial number the Malkoff spacer will also be needed. It fills a slight gap in the head itself. That may be why you got a hole in the beam.

Last edited:

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Good score BRM

Yeah, there should not be a big hole in the beam of a Malkoff'd Maglite.

IMG_20171201_213718.jpg

Left is a pre-cut Malkoff. Should be about 1/8" lip remaining.

If you have a "pre-D" Maglite, as in no D in the serial number the Malkoff spacer will also be needed. It fills a slight gap in the head itself. That may be why you got a hole in the beam.

This is a D serial so it's spill from where I cut the reflector too short I think. I can get a pre-cut from Malkoff, just need to find something else I need there like a black bezel or cap once he has those back in stock. I don't want to pay $9 to ship a $9 item.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't blame you on that one.

An alternative (if you feel like attempt 2) is buy a new stock one from ZBattery, along with some repair parts like a new spring, gaskets and a lens perhaps to offset the shipping cost and cut another one yourself.

I played with a SureFire A2 trying to figure out how to twist the tailcap to "on" while only half press-ing the button for the low feature... with one handed operation. Folks say it can be done but dang if I can figure out how to. For those who aren't familiar, the A2 is a hi/lo momentary light with a tailcap you twist to stay on. Half press gets you a low output LED array and full press gets you the LED array and a bright light bulb. You can twist it to stay on whichever mode you are in. But doing it one handed and consistently on low is a daunting task for me at this point.
Edit: call it fatigue relief, but after sleeping like a rock last night, this morning I figured it out in like 22 seconds....
After the other night where I worked from 7:00am to 2:am the next day they called me back in at 8am and I worked another 12 hours. Last night I was like a flying flag after a cat 3 hurricane... worn out.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Peering into and cleaning up my ole 3D Maglight from some corroded batteries.

Once that was done I pulled the old light and installed the Malkoff upgrade. I did my own cut with a coping saw on the reflector and probably cut it too short since I have a big black spot in the center so will order the pre-cut reflector now.

Did you twist the head to change the beam pattern?

Bill

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had our first winter storm last night and it knocked out the power for a large part of the city including my Gym. When I got there I was scared I would be turned away but, nope I was free to work out in the dark. The main part of the gym was lit by outside light coming through the windows but, the back rooms were pitch black and the change rooms were only lit by a battery powered work light(just the sink area). Luckily of course I had a light on me albeit only a 200 lumen(on turbo) Eagletac D25C Nichia 219A 4500K High CRI. It's 129 lumen high mode was plenty enough to see in the back room so I could do my warmup though. I was the only one using this room as it was pitch black and no one else had a flashlight:D.

Here is a pic of it lighting the room via ceiling bounce...

pkMNdlK.jpg

Half way through my workout the power came back on but, I didn't need it anyway:).

Last edited:

MaxLumenzo

Newly Enlightened
My FIL has vision problems and can't see very well, so I had to pull out my MH27UV to help him move around outside this evening. He was surprised by how bright it was. Thinking of getting him one for Christmas

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! One time the power went out at the gym on me but unfortunately everyone was eventually kicked out despite being able to see from the sun shining through the windows. Glad you got to stay.

Last night my wife and I used my Emisar D4vn to look through some boxes for a couple items. We found one but didn't find the other. Oh well. :)

terjee

Enlightened
H600Fc to light the space above ceiling tiles, while picking locations for and mounting up some WiFi access points.

Nothing too exciting, but a good "how did I ever get by without this light?"-kinda thing.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! One time the power went out at the gym on me but unfortunately everyone was eventually kicked out despite being able to see from the sun shining through the windows. Glad you got to stay.

Last night my wife and I used my Emisar D4vn to look through some boxes for a couple items. We found one but didn't find the other. Oh well. :)

Oh, that sucks. Right in the middle of your workout? Thanks, yeah it would have been a bummer if I missed a workout and drove there for nothing.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that sucks. Right in the middle of your workout? Thanks, yeah it would have been a bummer if I missed a workout and drove there for nothing.

Yes, soon after I started. It was disappointing but at least I didn't get too sweaty since I planned on showering there before working that day and driving home would have taken way too much time.