What did you use your flashlight for today?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was playing with my Predator Pro last night, shining out of a roof window. Spotted a rabbit walking along the road, and followed it until it hopped out of sight.

OMG must have thoroughly nuked that poor creature's night vision for a while... :devil: :laughing:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was in ma parking lot when I pulled my keys out of my pocket and a couple of them flew off the ring and disappeared into the night. Used my PD32UE on high to find them.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Used my D40A on high with a defuser to light up under my desk as I was rewireing my PC up, and of course had to unplug my main light (my ceiling lights are worse than useless)

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I use my light for just getting around the house so I don't use the lights very much from outside it probably looks like I'm robbing the place but so far no cops have showed up. I have a crazy cat that likes to put here toys under things and Im always looking for them. When I was in the hospital a few weeks ago I used my light all the time the lights in there were just to bright and the switch was hard to reach for me so most of the time I used my Lenslight KO in candle mode and just bounced the beam off the ceiling to see what I needed. The doctors and the nurse were cool about it and just let me have some fun, I had a private room so that helped. I use it for those night time trips to the bathroom so I don't step on the cat or disturb anyone else. I would be lost without my light it's the most useful tool I own.
f55ee1f81c51470487a3d0afc4da85eb_zpscf6a6a56.jpg

Last edited:

tallow

Newly Enlightened
Cat threw up in an ill-lit space; used my old X5 to make sure I didn't miss any spots cleaning up.

Superdave

Enlightened
Um... I cooked some lightly freezer burnt corndogs for dinner and... well... they tasted beond terrible. So I tossed them out into the woods instead of the trash.

After it got dark I used my xml modded L6 to see if any animals had enjoyed them. Not yet... cant say i blame them. Haha

buds224

Enlightened
Had to re-work some of my USB wiring behind the computer. Used my DQG aaa Titanium in my mouth to illuminate the mess. Handy little sucker. I was too lazy to get my headlamp out and the DQG was just too handy on my neck lanyard. :D

Mag liter

Newly Enlightened
M@g light 6d with malkoff 3-6d drop in used to pound nails back in on my deck

malkoff md2 used to spot and chase away a raccoon from my trash can- probably killed his night vision :devil:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Used the olight m20vn all over the house looking for the misses kindle.............the light was just not up to the job in anyway:confused:

tbh no matter what light i would have used it would have not been up to the job..........as she left it in her car:shakehead

ChrispyCritter

Newly Enlightened
Used it so my dog could see the stairs in the dark, to find a treat that he "threw" under something and of course to play with it a little as I just bought my 1st lithium 18650 light :D

Have a lead-acid battery spotlight that I've been using close to a decade though..battery getting a bit weak on that though and it never was good to use more than 20 mins anyways..got my money's worth out of that..probably will convert it to a 12v "cigarette lighter" plug eventually. Edit: Just had an idea of converting the spot into a lithium powered LED light..possibly just lithium if I could reduce the voltage with a regulator :D

The "budget" light I bought (WF-502B CREE XM-L T6) is way brighter and as far as I can tell would last hours on low (probably almost as bright on low as my spot)..probably would last over a hour on high but I wouldn't run it there more than 5-10mins because of heat..at least without putting in some kind of heatsink :)

Last edited:

Goldwrap

Newly Enlightened
My beagle ran something up a tree in the backyard last night, so used my LD41 to check it out. Found a pair of yellow eyes reflecting in the branches and went in for a closer look...twas a big ol' possum and he wasn't very happy.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to bbq. Technically, I like to smoke (180 or less), bbq (around 250) and grill (direct heat and hot). You don't need a light to smoke - if you're lookin, you ain't cookin. I have an agreement with my wife - some cuts of meat don't go in the oven. Ever. Grilled some rib eye steaks this weekend. It was dark and cold, but no discussion about putting these steaks in the oven. I needed a light to check the steaks. The lump charcoal glows red from the bottom and you can't really tell how the steaks are doing. The light must be hi cri and floody. I used a Zebralight H502D. Clipped it to the top front of my apron and it did a wonderful job. The steaks were great: 2 steaks rare, 1 medium rare and 1 medium well done. Sorry, no pictures. The pooch got the leftovers. After dinner, we were one happy family.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got ~7" of snow last night and shoveled my driveway with my Malkoff MDC AA on my camping neck cord. @ 10F degrees, the moonlight mode is ~0.8 lumen and plenty bright for me in the reflective snow and with ~200+ hrs runtime on a single Eneloop.

I understand this is Gene's first attempt at sub-lumen, and (at least in the cold) it just blows away my entire AA sub-lumen collection on efficiency (lm-hrs)....by a factor of 2x (side-by-side tested).

Poppy

Flashaholic
Got ~7" of snow last night and shoveled my driveway with my Malkoff MDC AA on my camping neck cord. @ 10F degrees, the moonlight mode is ~0.8 lumen and plenty bright for me in the reflective snow and with ~200+ hrs runtime on a single Eneloop.

I understand this is Gene's first attempt at sub-lumen, and (at least in the cold) it just blows away my entire AA sub-lumen collection on efficiency (lm-hrs)....by a factor of 2x (side-by-side tested).

Does that mean that you'll be recommending this light more than the Quarks?

Superdave

Enlightened
My work light lego (e2dl body with a kx2c head and regular tailcap) to find a leak in a high pressure Vodka line. Little too bright actually but i still found the leak and fixed it.

a6u5yhub.jpg

You can see the puddle of Vodka on the floor... lol

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ ...to find a leak in a high-pressure vodka line? Now you're talking!

Use my Quark 123 tactical twice today to find engine block heater plugs:

This morning a neighbour's car wouldn't start due to a frozen battery. While we waited for my car to warm up a bit, he asked me (he's an immigrant from a hot country) if he had "one of those wires to warm up his car"... nope and I don't think Honda's ever had that.

Then I needed my Quark again to get my own block heater plug out from under the grille as I almost had to ask for a ride home from work. Crazy stupid cold weather this year, I tell ya! If Hell froze over I think we could take a vacation there to warm up!