What did you use your flashlight for today?

mhpreston

Enlightened
Oh and this week we are on puppy watch - my wife and I take turns staying up with a new litter of pups from our lovely French Bulldog. At a week old we are making sure they are kept safe and fed. Our trusty Petzl Zipka is again to the fore. Probably my most used torch.
10176b00bb4c0ce98f08e29f66ba9372.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Very cute!!:) Going to have your hands full for sure!

Used my k60vn/tn35vn/tn36vn/pd35vn Quad/skyway king out front for fun with my little one:)

Noticeable differences between the k60vn and tn35vn in throw, against trees around 450ft away, lot more defined leaves with the k60vn. xhp70 shaved dome is very impressive!

Flashy808

Enlightened
Used the flashlight mode on my smartphone to check on a nest hole in our lawn that was recently dug by a bunny. The nest was empty.

Anybody ever Modded their smartphone's LED to something brighter or better?

Btw: I use my little keychain light to check the laundry rack for my socks when the room light was turned off. :)

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Only just gotten dark here,used the M11R Ti Dream to get some dog biscuits from the laundry,and to feed the cat out the back carport.I carry that in my pocket every night and use it for heaps of things.I don't really need to,but because I want to.Also...the kids new M23 Javelots arrived today.We just went out to the verandah and I had the M2X and SRT7,(Dream in my pocket.).First I lit up the paddock with the SRT7 and then I let them play with their new toys.The throw on those little M23's was pretty impressive and more than I was expecting.The kids love them and were "stoked" with how good they work.I lit the M2X on high and used it to direct them to aim the beams and then got the SRT7 and pointed out the difference between the tint.

We sat down and put all of them shining on the ceiling...on strobe! Including the Dream.5 torches going in strobe and there were times when it seemed there was no strobe happening at all but not for long.The girls are still out the front now playing around.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight: Will present the girlfriend with a mint condition converted AAx2 minimag with diffuser boot and pocket clip over tuna and drinks by candlelight..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, some jerk in a garbage truck decided to block one side of the sidewalk and the entire street tonight.... as I was walking back to work from getting a very early (3am) breakfast at a 24 hour Dunkin Donuts near work. So I decided to walk up the street before walking across on a different block. Yup! You guessed it. I chose the wrong one and a good half of the long block was dark as Hell. Out came my Photon Freedom that I keep tethered to a rat-tail lanyard that hangs from a gate-clip on a belt loop, and down into the right side-pocket of my pants.

Pulled out the light, lit up the sidewalk with its angry blue beam, and kept walking without losing a beat. I like that I can work the lanyard and the light one-handed. About a year ago, I bought a single-AAA titanium light to replace the Photon Freedom. But never got around to doing that. It's just such a handy light. Plus, the Ti model I bought is a twist action, pretty much requiring two hands. Oh well.... I doubt if my Freedom will be moving off my main keychain anytime soon.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight: Will present the girlfriend with a mint condition converted AAx2 minimag with diffuser boot and pocket clip over tuna and drinks by candlelight..

Such a romantic..... over candles right? :nana:

EDIT: AHAHAHAHA, I didn't even see you beat me to the candles.

"TUNA" :crackup:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my ProTac 1 AAA nightly for fighting Black Widows. ( AWESOME LIGHT )

Just an FYI - Hairspray does NOT work, they shrug it off by next night.

WD-40 & a lighter IS NOT a sound call in regards to getting them off Palm trees. Those suckers go up like Vaseline and cotton balls.

This has been a week long eradication process, at one point I was 1 foot away taking aim and was gripping my light so tight I guess the I turned the tail cap... pitch black... not fun in shorts and sandals.

I've got about 12 killed with spider spray, younger ones seem to move into the recently deceased webs. If I knock those down the little ones come out a rebuild them.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such a romantic..... over candles right? :nana:
EDIT: AHAHAHAHA, I didn't even see you beat me to the candles.
"TUNA" :crackup:
Hey, she loves my avodaco/black olive/jutney paleo dressing. :) We will be using flashlights to inspect fish! :)

Last edited:

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
I use my ProTac 1 AAA nightly for fighting Black Widows. ( AWESOME LIGHT )

Just an FYI - Hairspray does NOT work, they shrug it off by next night.

WD-40 & a lighter IS NOT a sound call in regards to getting them off Palm trees. Those suckers go up like Vaseline and cotton balls.

This has been a week long eradication process, at one point I was 1 foot away taking aim and was gripping my light so tight I guess the I turned the tail cap... pitch black... not fun in shorts and sandals.

I've got about 12 killed with spider spray, younger ones seem to move into the recently deceased webs. If I knock those down the little ones come out a rebuild them.

Aussie pro tip....get a good surface spray and hit the spiders and the webs.Next day/night hit the webs again.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did beamshot comparisons with my girlfriend. We compared original incan minimag and the niteize dropin versus a candle.

Later on in the evening, we went fully night adapted vision. I hacked a Pak-lite 9v on to her ponytail with a hair tie for ceiling bounce lighting.

...then, when the moment was right...

...she turned on the room lights and spoiled it. :(

Oh well, she's learning.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Eldest (8 yrs) daughter wanted to take her M23 to school for show and tell,so of course the 7 yr old wnted to as well.Took them to their respective teachers and instructed them that the lights were to be shone on the whiteboards,be careful of other kids eyes,and I would be back around 10 am to collect the lights.(They are expensive after all and don't want other kids getting their hands on them)

Eldest hadn't done her presentation when I got there but teacher asked me to wait.She went through the show part without the light on then did the display of the modes.All of the kids "oohed and ahhed" at the brightness,especially the strobe.She answered all their questions,how far,can you drop it,is it waterproof,how old do you have to be to have one.Did a great job.(Also had the i3s with her as well.)Of course,her teacher had a look at it and when I warned him not to shine it in his eyes,he did.He told me later,that he was seeing stars for half an hour after.I did warn him.

Younger one's teacher was very impressed with her presentation.Also asked me where she could get one,as she lives in the bush as well and "I need a good torch and I like that one".

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Used the Fenix HL55 last weekend working on a lighting project for a new shed my parents are building. Since there was no power in the shed until I ran it at the end of the project and the roof was incomplete ... in the middle of a steady rain ... using a mains-powered trouble light was apt to cause problems. I saw ~12 hours of low/medium use (in addition to however at least and hours it previously in its other job as a bike helmet light) and the 2600mAH cell was only ~3.85V when I put it on the charger this evening after another 30 minutes of shade tree mechanic work troubleshooting an old truck.

Hotspot could be a little broader for what I do with it, but the neutral tint is better for task work (and cycling) than the cool tint that Fenix seems to prefer for their handheld lights. For my purposes, the HL55 has been a fantastic light thus far.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Upgraded my old friend the pewter 2 cell double a incan mag with a terra lux LED and reflector. Also added a $1 lanyard to it.

It's better than the nite ize mod imho.

Then used a Coast HP1 as a bounce light to take pix of said upgraded flashlight with my phone cam.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Just compared the Olight SR52-UT against the SR52vn. The Vn wins in throw but the SR52-UT has a great pure white tint :D

mellowhead

Enlightened
Power is out right now due to a big wind storm. It's daytime, but some parts of the apartment are quite dark if it's not near a window. Out comes the H600w to make some lunch, wash hands, etc... It'll be nice if the power comes on again soon so I don't have to make a trip in to work to borrow an inverter and some batteries to run my fridge. Then again - if the power stays off, I get to use my lights all night! [emoji2]