What did you use your flashlight for today?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Respect them all is my motto.
Just smaller life forms, they may have relatives in space that come back one day, best to be thought of as friend then food/foe.☺
There are two locations on my house where paper wasps like to nest. Against the strident advice of friends and family, I ignore them. Since they're relatively docile paper wasps, I've yet to get stung. Even when one day I forgot all about the nest over the garage door and stood there changing the spool on a weedeater and one or two took to buzzing me after about 5 minutes - I brushed them away, walked several steps, and resumed futzing with the weedeater in peace.

One of the nests has endured for 2 years now and is sort of an eyesore (even if I'm the only one that notices it), so I think I'll remove it this winter although I suspect it will be rebuilt next spring.

H-Man

Enlightened
I used a lowes lux pro 2AA light modded with a TIR lens (boosted output drastically because of reflector centering ring eating a chunk of output) to try to find my 4sevens MiNi ML. Currently MIA for over a month.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
M2X to check out the front paddock to see what the dog was barking at.Nothing.Probably heard the dog from the property next door but that is 3km away so couldn't see that far.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pictures, ven! Those lights look great for that park. And wow regarding the output!

I used the Fenix BC30 to ride my bike home from the gym the other night. Nice ride, and the lights (including a nice bright rear blinking light) worked great again. I also just got some clipless pedals which have improved the riding experience in my opinion as well.

Dex Robinson

Newly Enlightened
I was doing some extreme macro-photography with the camera lens about 3" away from the subject. I used my Fenix PD32 to throw some concentrated light on the subject. This fossilized shell inclusion in a piece of limestone is only about 3/16" across.

Stream

Enlightened
M2X to check out the front paddock to see what the dog was barking at.Nothing.Probably heard the dog from the property next door but that is 3km away so couldn't see that far.

Yeah, probably nothing. Or was it... ?

GearHunter

Enlightened
Up at my usual 0500 for a quiet cup of coffee while my family is still asleep, notice that it's very dark in the kitchen as the over sink light ( our family's night light) has failed during the night. Now as an electrician for more the 20 years I knew exactly how to handle this situation....yep, tail stand the HDS and enjoy the peace!

UnderPar

Enlightened
I recommended to a friend the new Olight S1 since he wants to give his son a flashlight using CR123 primaries. Since he was curious about the mode changing, I used my Olight S15 Baton to demonstrate how the S1 will somehow function. Immediately after the demo, he went on to do the ordering.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Had some unexpected fun with my 2AA LED Enercell light. I go out to get a snack at Dunkin Donuts. I come back. Have to walk through the huge parking lot. I spot a compact Lexus that definitely wasn't there at the start of my foot-patrol. Pointed my light, set for throw, at the car. Lit up the passenger's side front seat. Judging by the panicked reaction I saw, it was clear they realized Security caught them. (Driver and passenger.)

Blatantly obvious I busted a couple of stoners trying to enjoy some weed. Light went down by my side. The driver started the car, and drove off. I said nothing to them. Just waited for them to leave. They got the message. Pick a different empty lot to smoke at. I just found the whole thing very amusing. The way they panicked at the light hitting them, clearly they desperately tried to put out their weed. Just a classic reaction to getting busted smoking weed. LOL !

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Just a classic reaction to getting busted smoking weed. LOL !

LOL yeah! Last summer I was kayaking on the lake and I smelled it a good 100 yards away. As I paddled closer, they panicked a bit. Yeah...I'm the sheriff coming after you in a blue kayak wearing a camo hat with a fishing pole.

kj2

Flashaholic
Currently on vacation, and as flashaholic, I had to check out the local lighthouse. Used my HDS EDC Rotary to navigate on a dark trail, which leads to a high dune. Man, 3.5 million candela looks so good! :D Could also see two other lighthouses on nearby islands. One is 'only' 1million cd, and the other one is 4.4 million cd.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Shined a Fenix TK15 on high at a young teenage and drunk miscreant who was attempting to climb a 14 foot gate at the back of my local supermarket in order to grab some booze for him and his mates who were hiding at the back.

The gate is at the back of the supermarket and through that is a fairy large outside storage area where we keep the recycling, empty cages and dollies and the loading bay with another roofed storage area which in turn leads to the main warehouse. At the time this happened (about 8:30pm) I was working on the Produce department when my mate Dave who's at the moment the sole man responsible for all this came up to me and asked me what flashlight I had with me (I'm generally known as the flashlight guy which was the Fenix in a locker and a Armytek Prime C1 Pro clipped in my right front pocket.

Told him what I had, he told me what he thought was happening so I grabbed the lights and a duty manager and we went out to the back. The lighting out the back is adequate but it is possible to get fairly close to the gate without being seen. I showed and then gave Dave the C1 Pro and I sneaked around the back to where the gate is.

Whacked on the light on High and focused it on the climbing teenager (he hadn't made it very far and was stuck), Dave then did the same in the warehouse, then checked the area around me. Heard the lads moving, one legged it straight away, another one moved closer so I whacked the strobe on (first time ever used, worked this time) he ran then shined it on the lad who surprisingly didn't run.

Duty manager called the police two of whom who were actually there shopping at the time (quickest response so far) took the lad away, debrief and then finished my shift.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
LOL yeah! Last summer I was kayaking on the lake and I smelled it a good 100 yards away. As I paddled closer, they panicked a bit. Yeah...I'm the sheriff coming after you in a blue kayak wearing a camo hat with a fishing pole.

I guess weed does make folks paranoid. :D

kevin008

Newly Enlightened
lots of things. walking the dog, looking for my little turtle, he likes crawling around. and showing my friends the flowers blooming at night...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Dealt with the borderline code-violating maze of cables under my desk - installed some cable anchors, hung power strips, tie-wrapped cables to anchors, and used some of those ingenious velcro wraps here and there to supplement. Net result: cables by and large off the floor, attracting far fewer dust rhinos. As with most task work not conducted at a table or under the sun, the Fenix HL55 was an invaluable tool.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Kids armed with their M23's,me with M2X ,( and 700d body with Sigma 150-500 on high ISO),looking for the ever elusive Boobook Owl in the tree in the house yard.Nope.Tiny Raptor is hard to find. S1 and M11R Ti Dream both on high trying to find the difference in brightness/lumens/lux and buggered if I could tell,but beams differ greatly.SRT7 on high to compare against M23's...that was fun as Nitecore has crenelated bezel which changes the spill quite a bit.Kids reckon it looks like a Cyberman,so it it has been dubbed "Cybertorch".M23 are great little thrower,SRT7 is a different style torch after all.Played with the colours a bit too.And 3xD M@g with Malkoff dropin and new dimpled reflector,still comparable to M23, beam is cleaner than the smooth reflector I had in.

Saw my elderly neighbour today. He asked "Have you got a new flashlight?" Usually they are called "torches" here.He lives 3km away and has noticed the bright lights.

:cool: