What did you use your flashlight for today?

ven

Flashaholic
I need to meet up with mr fixer for an evening of classic and modern flashlight fun, talking lights and all stuff that illuminates, be it bic lighter to vinh beasts................that would be a great evening for me. The fixer museum of illumination .................:cool: tbh 40 days and 40 nights would not cover it all .............more of the latter of course! :laughing:

AndrwTNT

Newly Enlightened
Luming up my watch while I keep my sick wife company on the porch

066d4cfd21d5e5f4de51db4557b9d05e.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Hope for a speedy recovery!

Played with drivervn3 for a bit last night on the princeCvn, pretty amazing really and in depth yet user friendly. Set the turbo timer with a quick 10 presses to activate the modes, then 12 presses to activate turbo mode. Then let it run till it got toasty, switched off and job done. Even had a go at changing the driver temp in F. Really cool these days what tec has moved to drivers, not that long ago a button turned it just on or off, never mind modes!

Loving the 5000k tint from the triple

Also used the tn36vn on moonlight to illuminate the room softly

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Used my micro stream clipped to a hat to see what I was doing cutting up brush and tree limbs I was burning. About an hour and a half in the battery died (had previous use). Popped one out of my keychain light and kept right on going. Yet another battery through it. Keeps consolidating it's lead as most run light I own.

tex.proud

Enlightened
Very nice collection! I love the Kephart style blade in the first pic! Is that a Sagewood Gear sheath for the Becker? And those axes...and hunting knives...talking my language!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Went to my ma-n-laws for a few days. It is next to a big ole river mouth not far from the ocean.
Good chance to get my ROP 2C Mag out for some excersize. That and an FL-2.

Too bad the air is so dang filled with moisture this time of year.

This very dark picture is what life was like using a Bic lighter for any light at all.

The Roar of the Pelican

I brought about 20 lights with me.
Tomorrow night the 2200 lumen Streamlight comes out to play.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice collection! I love the Kephart style blade in the first pic! Is that a Sagewood Gear sheath for the Becker? And those axes...and hunting knives...talking my language!

Thanks tex. Yes sagewood gear scout carry sheath. The gransfors bruks axes sheath and glock sheath are from "R Grizzle Leather". He does great work you can check his website. He and his wife are a pleasure to deal with.

SteveAZ

Newly Enlightened
Rode electric bike Friday and got slammed in a major thunderstorm (3/4" in 45 min! :eek:). Had minor electrical issues and ended up turning off the electric assist and rode several miles home on pedal power only. Decided I needed to put dielectric grease in all the little connectors, silicone tape, reroute and tie wrap everything nicely. Light (MT10C) on hat for that job - indispensable!

i-HKsjtk3-XL.jpg

tex.proud

Enlightened
Rode electric bike Friday and got slammed in a major thunderstorm (3/4" in 45 min! :eek:). Had minor electrical issues and ended up turning off the electric assist and rode several miles home on pedal power only. Decided I needed to put dielectric grease in all the little connectors, silicone tape, reroute and tie wrap everything nicely. Light (MT10C) on hat for that job - indispensable!

Nice Bike! And perfect use for a torch. Fix something that gets you outdoors.:grin2:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

i-HKsjtk3-XL.jpg

Looks like a fun bike....even when you have to peddle.
Dielectric grease is your friend.

You mentioned a storm...
Where I was as sunset was near the wind began kicking up and thunderheads were building yet it all seemed to fizzle out. That lead to an awesome spectacle of a sunset. It also led to a lot less humidity after dark than the previous night. Stars could be seen for a change.

Well Mother Nature was not through with the evening storms.
Taking advantage of the cooler conditions I walked down to a river bank with 4 flashlights. A thrower (ROP'd Mag 2C), a flooder (ProTac HL-4) and 2 general purpose lights (PK FL-2 and PR-1).

The previous night was so stifling, it might as well been foggy. Humidity was like 93%. Last night the air was much less moist. However mother nature was brewing up a thunderstorm west of me and drawing energy from east of me.
I do not know which was more fun. Flashlight beaming at various objects while comparing the varying vitrues of each one down by a vast river side with (now) 12" high white cap waves, or holding my hat on, taking pictures with a cell phone, trying to light a cigarette and swapping flashlights in a gale force wind down by said vast river side. Both were a hoot to experience.

I could see the sky getting brighter to the east as if the strong winds were sucking up a sunrise and a darkening sky to my west with angry flashes of light on the horizon.

I gotta be honest here... the nature show was more enjoyable. I knew it was not fraut with peril thanks to a celphone app for cyclists that alerts me when mother nature is in a bad mood in a 30 mile radius of my whereabouts. So while my family was hunkered down indoors I knew the folks 45 miles west of me were in for an adventure.

It was also my first test of the ProTac HL-4 in an open area. And that frosted lens pumping out 2200 photons was bringing a smile to my face. I am still amazed at how bright that thing is, and yet does not reach back around and poke you in the eye. Now last night was the first time I got to see how far it will reach out and poke others in the eye though. Love, love, love the HL-4. The ROP was tossing a beam to way past what I can see, and the PK's.. well they still amaze me at how well they light up darkness.

Mother nature stole the show and the HL-4 presented a mighty fine encore.

ven

Flashaholic
Very cool bike, i knew mr fixer would like that!

Cool beam pic as well mr fixer, hope your having a fun time, nothing like stretching the LED on one of your beasts! Always puts a grin on your face, lighting all ahead up never grows old. Even when restricted locally, it is sometimes worth the effort to go where you have an open area.

Used the 219c triple mule to check flight carriers(lots of them) and repair(back to basic condition) ones that were bent/damaged...........deep joy! But lit under a nice flood, i would be happy polishing turds:thinking: oh hang on, maybe thats a little too far, the thought of the browns popping out...............nah take that back :laughing:

SteveAZ

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a fun bike....even when you have to peddle.
Dielectric grease is your friend....

Definitely fun, I ride the heck out of it even in the AZ heat - prolly 80+mi/wk. Running with power-assist gives a very superhuman feel to it. I'm an old guy with one leg (well the other one is made of graphite and titanium) so pedaling the tank on pedal power only is....... slow. But it will get me home, it just takes a whole lot longer.

I really shouldn't be out on a pedal bike in a storm even one without a huge battery - but put something that can deliver 1000+W at 48V (52x NCR18650's setup as 4p13s) and it makes you think twice! Sometimes you get caught in it and if it's all wet I'm going to keep the power off but I still want all the connections all greased up for once it dries out. There are plenty of connectors on it - ~10 or so. They're reasonably nice - definitely water resistant, but the grease will keep them nice...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ha, I thought it was "a dry heat" in ole AZ. lol.

Dox have been telling me for a while I need a fake knee, but I respond "until you make 'em replaceable with lifetimes warranties count me out". Sounds like todays technology has been a bionic boon for you sir.

I had a 4 seat electric bike for a minute... to prove to a point to some psuedo tree huggers in my hunt club who ride around on gasoline powered 4 wheelers while proffesing to be saving the planet.
Made my point then sold it. It sure was faster getting around on that thing than on foot, that's for sure.

If you carry a smartphone an app called "rain alarm" alerts you when a storm or rain event is within an area you define. It has changed my mind about venturing out a few times. Heaven knows riding a wet electric bike has potential to become... (wait for it....) a shocking experience. lol.

Tonight is incan night. The ROP will stay put too. It's all about finding out what kind of flashlights campers used to deal with 75 to 100 years ago.

Last edited:

SteveAZ

Newly Enlightened
We are heavy into the monsoon season. It's very humid for out here right now - dew point is 26C (79F) but we had another storm last night so the ground is saturated making it a lot higher than the ~20C (68F) it was most of the week and either way, it's still lower than most of the rest of the country is often this time of year. We do make up for it with just brute force heat though. I went riding in the morning last month when it was about 40C (104F) which I'm ok with when it's dry like it was, but I ended up riding home at about 3:30pm and it was right about 50C (122F) which was crazy hot, even for us old grizzled folks that are used to it.

For the most part all you have to do is look around and it's pretty easy to tell when the storms are heading your way. I just ignore it most of the time.... :shrug:

It is sort of a bionic bike though. You push on the pedal and it adds more power. I figure I'm good for 50-100W at the pedal. It goes and adds as much as 750W peak / 500W continuous so it's nearly an order of magnitude more power. It doesn't have a lot of torque so it's not going to thrill you with the acceleration but tooling around on a big bike like that on trails at 15-20mph is pretty darn exciting. The big fat tires can go places that I have real hard time walking on with my metal/plastic leg....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Very cool bike, i knew mr fixer would like that!

Cool beam pic as well mr fixer, hope your having a fun time, nothing like stretching the LED on one of your beasts! Always puts a grin on your face, lighting all ahead up never grows old. Even when restricted locally, it is sometimes worth the effort to go where you have an open area.

Used the 219c triple mule to check flight carriers(lots of them) and repair(back to basic condition) ones that were bent/damaged...........deep joy! But lit under a nice flood, i would be happy polishing turds:thinking: oh hang on, maybe thats a little too far, the thought of the browns popping out...............nah take that back :laughing:

Well it was nice to blast some photons without concern for bugging the neighbors. And last night the humidity was down to September/October levels so I wasn't being blinded by my own flashlight.

Having a pair of PK tools here was like the first time I took a (long since gone) Trans Am style 66 Mustang to the mountains. The HL-4 and ROP Mag are like a 435hp 77 Cutlass I had once... big ole fuel hog that passed everything but a gas station, yet sure was fun going 0-100mph in.

Anyway my wife just returned from the big AZ and said "boy is it hot there"... 109 in the shade and still 95 at 2am.
She also said the people there are great.

Edit:
Later on;
Night 3 of "playing flashlight" along the river bank with virtually no clouds, no moon and low humidity. Perfect.

The idea was to play the role of a campground cop in or about 1955. So along for the ride were a TL122B from the 40's, a couple of machine age 2C lights that were a typical flashlight from hardware stores or local dept stores of the time. A generic Brite Star style and an Olin with a safety ring. And lastly a Franco miner light from about 1915.

Lit by the miner light.
Also a Pelican 2320 went along for spotting snakes 50 yards+ away.

Walking along the shore was a treat while noting the different era PR2 bulbs in the 2C's and a PR7 in the TL122. It was surprising how bright those old lights are and a very enjoyable experience while pretending to be some maintenance guy who is just going around making sure nobody is out and up to no good.
The Olin stole the show with the generic nipping at its heels. Probably a great 75' thrower with a 100 to 125' ability to see something amiss. Spill was awesome and provided sure footing amounts of light.
The TL122 was pretty good, and I can see how a camper or soldier of the time would be glad to have one.

The Franco... well that one is an indoor light. Great for lighting up rooms, but not real useful beyond 35' or so due to the floody beam. But in 1915, it sure beat the stuffings out of darkness I'm sure.

That is about 3' from the bulb.
So once you get a car length away things get dim quickly.

Later was the incan war. Pelican M6 vs a Brinkmann MaxFire.
Man, it was easy to see how the P60 module was such a game changer. They don't necessarily throw so overwhelmingly well vs the vintage stuff. But the overall brightness of the total package with a throw that was easily seen as better... combined with a light that easily fits into the front (or back) pocket of a loosely fitting pair of ****ies work pants... Oh man! It was exciting to pretend to be that security guy using a P60 type light for the first time.

I won't declare a clear winner between the two as the MaxFire was better at lighting a wider area and suffers from virtually zero artifacts (just like the LX-6 light), yet the Pelican does a fine job at both while providing an overall more pleasing beam.

I took lots of pix through the last 3 nights, but to me, posting them here would be like when your nephew brings over a 200 page photo album of his first childs first 30 days on planet earth.... I'll spare you guys from that...

Last edited:

Latest posts