What did you use your flashlight for today?

tex.proud

Enlightened
I pulled into the work center at the end of the day to see my old supervisor looking under his work truck. Asked what he was up to, and long story short, I had my trusty HDS out to crawl under the front end to locate a radiator leak. Taking it to get repaired in the morning. Simple use, but the old fella didn't have to crawl under the truck.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had the honor of interviewing an urban combat Marine who was fishing by the shore near my location. It all started out when I was shining a flashlight to take some beam pix.
I heard "what flashlight is that?" in the distance. I retorted "stand by"... then the voice was close by repeating the question.

When I mentioned PK he said "what?"... when I said "SureFire designer" he said "oh, that PK" lol.

I was shining the FL-2 for some beam pix. He had noted how tight it was and decided to investigate the light. Soon after we were discussing the PR-1 and it's potential for urban combat uses.

The more I learned what would suit his situation the more questions I asked. The more questions I asked the more forthcoming he was with ideas since some random civilian actually gave a flip about how a little flashlight could help him stay alive in the real deal.
He pointed it at various objects noting how it was not "lighting him", or how a shiney finish is a bad thing, and in general taught me what it was like to be kicking in doors of places he and his comrads had been while hunting out members of Osama Bin Ladens fan club.

Awe man, it was fun. My only regret other than parting company was not giving him that PR-1.
At some point I will make sure he has one.

Oh, almost forgot... not long before that I used the PR-1 for a headlight for a stranded golf cart driver.
I was staying at a place over looking the mouth of a river near the ocean (hence people fishing nearby). It is at the top of a hill known as "the golf cart killer".

See, people ride around on their battery powered golf carts at this campground and at some point drive to the bottom of the hill to take in the view I had from my easy chair. But at least a half dozen a week cannot muster up enough ooomph to make it back to the top of "golf cart killer". This lady had 2 little kids who began to panic when they got stuck.

I advised her to turn off her lights while I pushed. Being the area is very dark, again the little kids were freaking out. Twin girls about 4 years old.
When I turned it to medium it was plenty bright to see better than the golf cart. I'm doing the teeth hold thing while pushing. One little girl is asking "mr, why you have that flashlight in your teeth?" while other is saying "I like your shiney bracelt, thank you for helping our mom" while the other one is still fascinated I'm holding the flashlight with my teeth and is saying "when we get back I'm going to tell daddy he can hold a flashlight in his teeth too". lol.

Things worked out for those little girls and I could still hear a chorus of "thank mr flashlight man" way off in the distance.

This is what they go to see.

Golf cart killer.
Nothing special. But to a weakened golf cart battery that needs a jolt of turbo... well it's about a 10:1 ratio of carts that make is vs those that don't.

Last edited:
I was going to post about having two different reps come to give me bids on installing some additional fresh air ducting and two new furnaces. And rant about both of them not having a flashlight when we explored the attic cuz they both used their cellphones .... :hairpull: But who the hell wants to post after bykfixer's two most excellent stories?!! :bow: He's a tough act to follow.

~ C.G.

sgt253

Enlightened
Wow. My story of cleaning up after my 9 yr old, after getting sick to his stomach all over his bedroom and upstairs hall way, pales in comparison. I was a sight, me with a headlamp on and two flashlights, looking for stains on the carpet.

DK Demand Lab

Newly Enlightened
This did not happen exactly today but I thought it was interesting of a flashlight use I had.

Recently I had to meet up with my friends at a restaurant in Los Angeles with valet-only parking lot (typical of busier parts in LA).
I had to make a left turn in order to directly get into the parking lot from the busy street and the lot was full, valet attendant was not in my sight.
Due to the angle, I was not able to high beam to grab attention from the valet guy(s) or restaurant employee(s).
(I did not want to obnoxiously block the little and busy street either)

I immediately took out my PKDL's PK-PR1 and flashed toward the parking lot in high output mode.
In a few seconds, this one valet guy popped out probably thought it was a car's headlight.
It was hell of use of a flashlight that night. Perfect use of a non-verbal no noise communication with a stranger.

I always EDC my PK PR-1 even when I am expected to drive most of the day/night.

RunnersLunge

Newly Enlightened
I have completed a fair bit of actual mechanical maintenance to the car lately but this task may be one of the most fruitful. I finally got around to removing that pesky door chime when the door is ajar/open. I always hated that stupid feature and now that fuse is no more.

28254219973_9e6d153284.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was going to post about having two different reps come to give me bids on installing some additional fresh air ducting and two new furnaces. And rant about both of them not having a flashlight when we explored the attic cuz they both used their cellphones .... :hairpull: But who the hell wants to post after bykfixer's two most excellent stories?!! :bow: He's a tough act to follow.

Indeed! I'm horribly jealous of both his encounters. :(

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used my PD35 on medium to trace some messed up wiring behind my hotel room's TV set last night.

That is what being a flashaholic is all about.
Some days we hope for shadows that could use some lighting.

Tonight I started working a night shift along a busy roadway. There was a safety meeting before things got started. Things like safety glasses, ear plugs and reflective clothing were discussed.
When the topic turned to reflectors there was a bald guy who jokingly asked if his skull was shiney enough.
I whipped out my PR-1 and shone it on his noggin.

Laughter erupted at his question then when the flashlight glared off his really shiney scalp we all agreed his skull is pretty shiney... but the book says he has to cover it with a hard hat.
Stupid rulebook. lol

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have a new assignment at work in a new office, which means that the cube invariably needs to be re-arranged. The SF Sidekick I received as a Christmas gift was more than up to the challenge (new workstation set up, cables routed sanely, power cords under the desk unplugged and replugged, cube accessories repositioned). I'm now looking forward to this opportunity - getting into the network management and application maintenance side of things.

Aries256

Newly Enlightened
Used my P12gt to find out what was making a racket at work, turns out we have owls here, and one caught a smaller bird. Huge owl too, dont know what kind of owl it was though.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took my Fenix TK09 out to the beach and walked around a bit. Then my wife and I lay down on some towels for about an hour and watched the meteor shower. It was cloudy but luckily the one patch in the whole sky seemed to be above us the whole time! We managed to see quite a few, and some were really large and left a trail behind that we could see for a bit. Awesome fun.

On another note my wife thought she saw something moving toward us and shined the light. It ended up scaring the crap out of someone walking with no lights haha. Oh well. He scared the crap out of her to begin with too! Seemed like a nice person.