What did you use your flashlight for today?

ven

Flashaholic

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Had to replace a broken wall switch for a hard-wired storage heater, so the mains AC had to be turned off at the meter cupboard. Some people just turn off the corresponding circuit breaker and leave everything else turned on, but I always shut down the entire house for this sort of thing. No chance of mistakes then.

I still test the circuit with a voltmeter immediately after opening it up, though.

One of my Nebo Big Larry lights did a nice job as an area light - low white mode was easily enough - and I used a BLF-348 clipped to my hat as a high-CRI headlamp for the wiring. I also had an Astrolux S41 handy for the odd bit of off-axis lighting.

While I was at it, I took the opportunity to swap out a plain fused wall plate supplying a different heater for one with a fuse and a switch. I like controllability :)

I don't like cowboy installers who leave insulation-destroying sharp edges on the back box, though. I swore mightily at that one. Fortunately, there was enough spare length in the cable to cut the damaged length off and redo it. I'd've been a really unhappy camper if I'd had to put in a new length of cable.

Still got an outright dead heater to replace; I'll be using the same set of lights for that job, too :)

Last edited:

mhpreston

Enlightened
5217c1ddc32bf8697a9697e61b7fc9b9.jpg

Well - I get the dumbest Guy in the village award. Visited the huge underground slate caverns in Ffestiniog, Wales... and left my SRT7 in the glove compartment of my car!! All I had was the tour hard hat with a very basic fitted LED to investigate all the nooks and crannies in the mine.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
About 2am was dispatched to a call of a horse on the loose.
Many equestrian jokes later, and I was out wandering fields with my ML300L.

Did do the job but had me longing for a better thrower. I just can't decide between getting an Ultralix Convoy L6 or one of the several Vinh offerings in that camp.

Yesterday's mail brought a Manker U21. It's been a long time since I was IMPRESSED by a flashlight. This baby has me impressed. The Convoy L6 will someday be on my desk, for its combination throw, with nice spill, but the Manker U21 will out-throw it by a bit, and it is quite a bit smaller. The L6 70,000 cd ~ 1 lux @ 264 meters. The U21 124,000 cd 1 lux @ 352 meters.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my solarforce with high CRI drop-in to take some stuff out to the shed at my parents' house last night. It was the first time I used that light outdoors and man it really does look good. I love how nice all the colors looked.

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
It's funny how much a building under construction can look like a creepy abandoned building at night when it's on an unlit street.

creepy%20building_zpsvrguhshq.jpg

I walk past this every night and go over it with whichever light I have on hand to see how far they've gotten. Unfortunately, they painted it so now it's starting to not look so creepy anymore. :(

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Used my new Astrolux S2 to walk the dog. This thing is amazing with the amount of throw. 60,000 lux out of this little light is exactly what I was looking for and for $28 and bistro firmware I could not beat it.

I ran a battery voltage check before taking it out 4.22 volts. 30 minutes of using it on and off max down to about 100 lumen most of the time. Checked the voltage in the morning even with the glowing tail cap still at 4.22 volts.

http://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-S2-XPL-HI-1400LM-EDC-LED-Flashlight-18650-p-1037831.html

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Setup and teardown for night time trebuchet testing. Dallas Makerspace has built a steel behemoth for a competition this weekend. The operation is fairly predictable, however our effort still needs some tuning.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a great time going on a sunset hike with some friends today. Of course we got to hike back in the dark which was great. A few of them never did a night hike and they loved it.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore TIP CRI came in handy today. We had a departmental pumpkin carving contest and one pumpkin had a light-dependent proximity sensor so it reacted when you got near the pumpkin. Of course when the lights were turned off the pumpkin reacted constantly instead. Luckily I had the TIP CRI so we could demonstrate how it worked to all the people voting on the winner. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Good stuff blah, I used the fenix cl20 on red for one oumokin(candle in the other). Took 3 lights out trick or treating, m43vn used pretty much 90% of the time on 20% to flood and reach out a bit. Nice little hand warmer ,constant warm temp without getting hot.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work some storm drain manholes had gotten a bunch of gravel spilled into a few. So the contractor hired a company to vacuum them.
Giant Tonka toy vacuum trucks are cool.

Dude lowers the 24" diameter hose with suction provided by a 6' diameter hardened steel impeller driven by a big block Chevy diesal engine.... suddenly nearby butterflies are flying backwards...

The guy is raising and lowering the nozzle a few inches at a time to stab into the gravel piles and suck out the debris, which at first was easy but once the bulk is gone a more methodical approach is required to clean corners n crevices.

It's daylight out, and looking down in a 6-10' deep manhole... well it's pretty dark. The operator could crouch down near the opening to see better and have his eyebrows sucked off his face by the mega-vac or randomly stab n stir the hose in circles inside a square manhole but...

Dah-duh-dah, dah-duh-dah, dah-duh-dah... inspector is a flashaholic.
Day 1 of testing the Elzetta Bones for work purposes. I considered my PK PR-1, but all that vacuum might have just sucked that little deal outta my hand and the Bones has a wrist strap. Those vacuum machines have been known to rip clothing, snatch gloves off your hand and other sudden dramatic events.. actually injuring unsuspecting workers....

While the operator was rasslin' that big ole hose like a croc-agator I aimed the Bones towards the darkness and (insert choir voices here) "hallelujuah"...
Suddenly the operator has a lit up cave, but due to his dedication and concentration never flinched or ceased in rassling that hose; that is until nearly all of the debris was gone. Only then did he pause to look up and gives a thumbs up thank you. He had 5 more manholes to go. I lit each one as he cleaned them kinda like when I was a kid holding a flashlight for my pop... trying to anticipate his lighting needs while not casting shadows instead. It was indeed a pleasure helping a stranger who has a tough job have a bit easier task that day.

The Bones did exactly what I needed it to do. Created daylight in a dark confined space while competing with direct mid day sunshine.
I noticed when leaving it on for a couple minutes at a time the business end gets warm. Not hot, but you definitely feel warmth on the forward most fingers... in this case my pinky.
It easily slid in and out of the back pocket of my trousers whenever the need to aid the operator occured. If he needed help with the hose it was put away, need some light it was quickly deployed. I enjoyed the non aggressive surface for that reason, but have a wrist strap on it for the same reason.
Although likely intended as a duty light for LEO, security and such I gotta say the Bones makes a mighty fine task light for us regular folks.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You DO NOT want to get your boots too close... if you like having shoe laces...

Instead of bending over to pull the 75-100 pound lids off they just place the hose onto it and lift it..
No kidding.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Still got the vision of a mr fixer shaped hose............... :laughing:

Been using the latest edition seraph and recently swapped in EDC triple 4000k xp-g2 for sorting out some wood. Fire is lit and warming the cool air nicely. Armed with a z2 OR mule as well, this will come in handy later for the fire works.