What did you use your flashlight for today?

FortyCaliber

Newly Enlightened
I put the SF E1b into service to illuminate my notepad while making a grocery list because I was too lazy to get off the couch and walk over to the lamp!

:laughing: I would almost let you, but you would miss it too much:D Hoping to get one, maybe next batch as it has to be one of the more exciting releases for a long time............I think the desing and patina is genius, would not change a thing................love the style/form and well you know i love triples. Might have to self fund with a couple of lights with christmas around the corner...........decisions decisions.

No rush...................honest:devil:

Right you are, ven. The BOSS never leaves my side. I also love the design and patina. I'm given to "fixing" the dings on my black anno lights with a permanent marker. That's how particular I am about my lights. I want them to look new. With the Boss, not so much. Of course I'm careful with it, but I know it's appearance will change over time.

Cheers, Mate!

~ Chance

gErV4Io.jpg

I used my Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ work light to replace a part under the dash of my car.

Despite having a dozen+ lights at the ready, including a headlamp, I'd normally just use the well-worn SF E1b Backup with tailshroud that resides in my pocket, but on my way out the door, and without much thought, I grabbed the Ryobi. It was a good choice, as I would have had to hold the E1b in my mouth to get the light where I wanted it. The Ryobi head swivels so I can direct the light to the right place hands- and mouth-free.

Normally the Ryobi would have been tucked away with my powertools and not even been considered, but I recently upgraded it with an auction site P13.5S LED, so I've kept it in the house.

Prior to the LED upgrade I never used this light much because the output was fairly low and battery life was short.

Now the Ryobi is much brighter and battery life is longer, even though I use a tired old battery.

Yep! It's hard to beat an 18v cordless work-light. A few weeks ago three of us replaced an aging water fountain at our church owned school. You can see my Nebo in the housing on the left. The light that's doing all the illuminating belongs to Tatooed-Ben. He's the professional plumber. That's Rick on the right. I took pictures and stayed outta-the-way! It was amazed how bright the little DeWalt was. Yes, it's on my Christmas List. :santa:

~ Chance

28YyfZb.jpg

A-MAC

Enlightened
The Nitecore P12 and I took the new puppy out for a potty break at 1:30 this morning.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On a nice crisp fall morning... the kind where it is getting time to turn the heater on but you throw an extra blanket on the bed instead... you wake up to a chilly house knowing the hot shower will warm your bones, right?

Turn on water valves in your shower to your favorite settings, let it run the obligitory 30 seconds or so and stick your toes in behind the curtain to check for readiness... eh, not quite but you enter behind the curtain anyway. 45 seconds, still cool. 1 minute... uh, whut gives? You turn the cold off to kinda turbo charge the deal...
Todays episode resulted in luke warm with only the hot valve open.. uh oh.
I was pondering why the hot water heater was running last night when nobody had used any hot water.

Oh well, Ima flashaholic so this means a good chance to wear my new headlamp. It's kinda crazy how we actually look forward to home front issues for an excuse to use a flashlight.

Did the pilot thing. No worky. Get out instruction manual and study how the manifold contraption is installed, call work and tell them "hot waters out, see ya tomorrow" and jot this down here at CPF.

Time to perform surgery... more later...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It wasn't a soot on the coupler issue. While trying to source a thermo-coupler I read that the White Rogerson gas control assemblies have a huge failure rate. So I made an appointment with a plumber for tomorrow in case it aint the thermo-coupler.
State made access easy. Unscrew a couple of fittings and the whole assembly slides out. And assemblies are available or just the coupling. Buying the thermo assembly ensures things are in the correct alignment. Apparently when swapping out the coupler it's pretty easy to get the new one off alignment juuuuuuuust enough where you can't get it to work.

On a nice crisp fall morning... the kind where it is getting time to turn the heater on but you throw an extra blanket on the bed instead... you wake up to a chilly house knowing the hot shower will warm your bones, right?

Turn on water valves in your shower to your favorite settings, let it run the obligitory 30 seconds or so and stick your toes in behind the curtain to check for readiness... eh, not quite but you enter behind the curtain anyway. 45 seconds, still cool. 1 minute... uh, whut gives? You turn the cold off to kinda turbo charge the deal...
Todays episode resulted in luke warm with only the hot valve open.. uh oh.
I was pondering why the hot water heater was running last night when nobody had used any hot water.

Oh well, Ima flashaholic so this means a good chance to wear my new headlamp. It's kinda crazy how we actually look forward to home front issues for an excuse to use a flashlight.

Did the pilot thing. No worky. Get out instruction manual and study how the manifold contraption is installed, call work and tell them "hot waters out, see ya tomorrow" and jot this down here at CPF.

Time to perform surgery... more later...

1. If/when you go to the hardware store for parts, don't refer to it as a hot water heater. They heat cold water, and the guys at the store will laugh at you. Trust me on this, I know.

2. Some of the threads will be Righty-Loosey, Lefty-Tighty. Learn which ones are which.

3. There are some great instructional videos on youtube, but you have to search through some pretty bad ones to find the good ones.

4. Fixing any plumbing issue with only one (1) trip to the hardware store garners you instant bragging-rights.

5. Good luck.

~ Chance

Edit;

Oops! I just read your latest post. Darn page changes.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
$8 part and some bending n twisting later... no go. Dratz!

The plumber thing is to ensure if anything ever goes wrong with the pipes I'm covered for insurance purposes.

But it sure was fun using a multitude of flashlights. A headlamp, a handheld light that starts at 15 lumens, and a bright one to see through the dust screen(s) as I vacuumed inside the burner cavity and around the tank.

Now my toilet has developed a leak between the tank and toilet. Already called out of work tomorrow for that one.

I have an expert available via text message. He has his own business... 350 miles away. lol. He keeps my climate control system tip top via text messages. That's the guy I send flashlights to whenever he helps me. This time next week he'll have a rainbow PL2 for his wife... so he can get his black one back from her.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
$8 part and some bending n twisting later... no go. Dratz!

The plumber thing is to ensure if anything ever goes wrong with the pipes I'm covered for insurance purposes.

But it sure was fun using a multitude of flashlights. A headlamp, a handheld light that starts at 15 lumens, and a bright one to see through the dust screen(s) as I vacuumed inside the burner cavity and around the tank.

Now my toilet has developed a leak between the tank and toilet. Already called out of work tomorrow for that one.

I have an expert available via text message. He has his own business... 350 miles away. lol. He keeps my climate control system tip top via text messages. That's the guy I send flashlights to whenever he helps me. This time next week he'll have a rainbow PL2 for his wife... so he can get his black one back from her.
lol..
you must like taking time off from work! :)

I did that repair a couple of weeks ago. Two bolts and a water connection.
Lift the tank, replace the big rubber washer/gasket, and tighten down the bolts.
Easy peazy :)

Of course.... if you are like me, the toilet manufacturer name was no where to be found, and it took two trips to get the correct gasket. :rolleyes:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like playing with flashlights. Plus I can make sure the plumber does things correctly.

Work is slow right now and the paying customer gladly gives me the day off... he's paying my company $125/hr for me to twiddle my thumbs while some engineers ponder a yes or no question for the last 3 weeks.

This is not the toilet I just repaired. But both are American Standard with 1965 stamped in the ceramic. I'll probably buy the parts for both.... hopefully in a single trip.

Taz80

Enlightened
My wife dropped a full bottle of olive oil on the floor tonight. Cleaning up that mess was loads of fun. Anyway, I used my SC62w to make sure we got all the glass shards up so my furry little fella wouldn't find them with his paws.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gas water heater going and toilet rebuilt.

So the plumber arrives, pushes down on the pilot fuel knob for about 30 seconds before pushing the piezo thingy. Woosh!!! She fired right up.
WHAT?!?! I hadn't purged the line properly it seems.

Embarrased but only out $50 the conversation quickly turned to his flashlight. He had a beat up Coast. He quipped "I love it except it eats batteries like crazy" so introduced him to eneloop pros.
I showed him the Bykfixer flashlight museum and he left with a Microstream to go with the Coast.

The toilet thing was an all day job. I took it completely apart, scrubbed the ceramic to like new, took parts from it with me to the store for assurance, then had a long lunch with my bride. Went to my sons for a while and played with his dog, spoke of projects to take place this winter and diagnosed a funky idle in his garage queen Prelude. (Cap and rotor) then returned home to reassemble the turlet. Actually that only took 20 minutes or so. But I re-tightened screws twice since. It allowed parts n pieces to settle into place before applying more torque. One final tighten and I'll let things sit all night. Tomorrow evening I'll check one more time.

Gives me an excuse to check crevices with my favorite G2x Pro.

MX421

Enlightened
Funny you should mention plumbing, thats what i used a few of my lights for this past weekend. A couple more galvanized horizontals in the attic started leaking so into the attic i went to replace them with PEX (again). Didn't get up to the 10 lights used on the larger job, but had five lights going on at once for a little while there:
TK75 (hanging from the rafter on medium for probably enough light to see enough)
H600w for a headlamp to put light directly where i was working
H602w (on second thought i could have probably done without the TK75)
Wizard Hi CRI V2 (the magnet stuck pretty good to a vent duct to put light on one of the connections to the wall vertical i was making
Wizard Warm V3, XM-L (Ditto the above not really needing the TK75, but it had such a long battery life i kept in there for the duration)

Then last night i used all the above except the TK75 to work on my trailer which busted a leaf spring due to the guys loading concrete overloading it. The Wizard magnets clamped to the trailer like glue for the most part, although the tire knocked both loose once to give them some battle scars. Ultimately this task was disappointing though as the lights had to be put up since i was making too much noise so late after work and had to defer this to the morning (calling in just like BK :) )

Poppy

Flashaholic
Gas water heater going and toilet rebuilt.

So the plumber arrives, pushes down on the pilot fuel knob for about 30 seconds before pushing the piezo thingy. Woosh!!! She fired right up.
WHAT?!?! I hadn't purged the line properly it seems.

Embarrased but only out $50 the conversation quickly turned to his flashlight. He had a beat up Coast. He quipped "I love it except it eats batteries like crazy" so introduced him to eneloop pros.
I showed him the Bykfixer flashlight museum and he left with a Microstream to go with the Coast.

The toilet thing was an all day job. I took it completely apart, scrubbed the ceramic to like new, took parts from it with me to the store for assurance, then had a long lunch with my bride. Went to my sons for a while and played with his dog, spoke of projects to take place this winter and diagnosed a funky idle in his garage queen Prelude. (Cap and rotor) then returned home to reassemble the turlet. Actually that only took 20 minutes or so. But I re-tightened screws twice since. It allowed parts n pieces to settle into place before applying more torque. One final tighten and I'll let things sit all night. Tomorrow evening I'll check one more time.

Gives me an excuse to check crevices with my favorite G2x Pro.

Sounds like you had a nice day of it!

If you tightened in down twice already, and it isn't leaking, I'd call it a day!
I was afraid to over-tighten mine for fear of having the porcelain crack.
If that happens to you... THEN... you'd be into a bigger job. And it won't be fun :nana:

OCD

Enlightened
It's deer season again. Thrunite Ti2 AAA clipped to my hat to navigate to and climb into my tree stand. Packed 4 other lights (besides my HDS on my belt) with plenty of batteries in the event we need to track one after dark.

OfTheWild

Newly Enlightened
Since i work nights, i use a couple of flashlights daily; My Maratac AAA thats always in my coin pocket i use getting to/from the truck in the back of the parking lot and then up the driveway when i'm home. Then i end up reading in bed with my Zebralight 600floody. But tonight I had to fish some wires at work and ended up using my Fenix TK12... realizing i really need to find a clip for it, which brought me here to the forums to dig one up! :twothumbs