What did you use your flashlight for today?

maxkimi

Newly Enlightened
EDC ,Night Forest Walk, you will enjoy an intriguing and absorbing night experience

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
Used my Surefire E1B to mouse hunt in the kitchen. He was on top of the fridge. Fridge moved, traps set, the waiting begins...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good call. Hope it works out without a mess to clean up.
Speaking of traps I used my PK lantern on low to set a cat trap. I've been using a 1aaa clipped to a hat but the lantern was perfect. Having light spread instead of focused was ideal. Instead of my hand blocking the entire beam of a fixed focus light it only blocked a small portion of total lighting.
This whole lantern thing may lead to another niche in the bykfixer collection.

I remember them all. In a few years I may not remember my own name. So I guess that's good:)

It's funny how you can remember your best friends phone number from 1973 but not your own current one, huh?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Sundrop to change a worn receptacle

5ZgIDEVh.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last nights battle royal was so large it was just round 1.
The idea was to take fairly current double a and triple a lights in the field and spot a football 5 paces into a dense under brush laden wood line. The football had dingey white stripes.
It was a cold (read lots of pockets), moonlit night not far from a shopping mall with all of its free lumens. I did manage to find a dark area below the elevation of the influence of the light pollution.

The thinking was the ability to spot a perp dressed in dark clothing lying on the ground just inside the woods. The distance was 50', 50 yards and 100 yards.

The players were the Streamlight 1L on a double a (135 lumens) , a stylus pro (54? lumens), a protac 1aaa (70 lumens), a wooden light by Menards (80 lumens), a 300 lumen Rayovac indestructable, a 178 lumen Pelican 2320 (gen 2), Icon Rogue 1&2 (50/100 lumens), the Modus 1&2 (72 and 100? lumens), and the polished alluminum Energizer 1 and 2 double a's (77&125 lumens).

To guide the way the Rayovac using it's 60 lumen low showed me that thing aint no joke. By the time I got to the woods a few others on low had been tried and I liked the Pelican choice better than all the others, but kept using the Rayovac simply because it was so impressive on the 60 lumen setting.

I reached the woods and saw a football laying near the edge of the field next to them. Viola! Find the perp mode.

At 100 yards every light was eliminated except the Rayovac, the Pelican and the 2aa Energizer.
The Rayovac stole the show. But the Pelican was no slouch at only 178 lumens. The Energizer at 177 also did a great job. It threw as far as the Rayovac but total area lit was a lot less.
For kicks n giggles I pulled out the PR-1 with a PRX thrower head on it and holy cow! I think I heard the tress shout "turn out that dam light!" lol.

So then 50 yards was tried and a bunch of others got the job done. Surprisingly the Stylus pro won that one. But the Icons, the 1aa Energizer and ProTac 1L were plenty bright. The Rogue 1 and 1aaa ProTac were the laggers in the grand scheme of things.
(The big surprise was how much more area is lit and farther throw of the Pelican vs the ProTac 1L, it wasn't even close)

At 50' each one easily lit the football. For that one I also used the Rayovac and Pelican on low. The Pelican low setting didn't quite do it.

I failed to mentions the Menards wooden light but overall it lit the football at 50 yards with it's pencil beam but really impressed at 50' as the gentle spill lit a wider area than all the rest.

Basically another a fuel battle royal will take place. This time with a couple of mini mags, a 2 for $10 Defiant, a Coast HP1 and the winners of last night (Pelican, Rayovac and Stylus pro).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night was a battle royal of sorts that ended up being quick. Not because one light dealt a knock out blow, but because of ice pellets from the sky and me wearing a max water absorbing wool coat in it.

A carry over from a previous double A event this one featured contenders from a previous with added Klarus P1A, a new Rayovac, a Malkoff'd Brinkmann Maxfire, and a mini mag triple A.

Matched side by side was the overall winner from last time the Rayovac Indestructable was pitted against my new yellow G2x Pro. Tie goes to the Rayovac for being only $15 and readily available. Rayovac did an outstanding job with the 300 lumen version. And for walking around the 60 lumen low is a great setting for peering in the not so far ahead distance if your pace is quickened to a jogging level or you need to see what lies in the shadow 50' away.
See, the bykfixer battle royal events are not about 1 light having 42 seconds more run time than another. Nor is it about the number of Kelvins. They are about which light would be the most useful in given scenarios for the average person who thinks Kelvin was an Irish imigrant who started a chain of restaurants somewhere in America.

Anyway the G2x pitted against a Bones resulted again in the Bones lighting more area overall, but G2x did very well considering it has half the output.

The show was really about the Pelican 2320 vs the Klarus P1A as that Klarus at 110 lumens is pretty good. Off in the distance those 68 extra lumens allowed the Pelican to cast a better light than the Klarus, but at say 100' things evened up. And at 50' the Klarus provided more lit area beyond dense under brush, but the soda can appeared slightly more realistically colored with the Pelican as the Klarus whiter tint muted color a bit.

When the ice pellets turned to very cold water I turned for home leaving the mini mag in my shirt pocket. But I look forward to matching that one against the Rayovac on low simply because the tiny diameter of the reflector won't allow a good spread of light and a long throw. So it won't be fair to match it against the Klarus and Pelican. I will do it anyway, but already know the likely outcome. I may carry the mini mags brother the XL50 for a self esteem boost for the little triple A that could.

At some point a small selection of 1x123's will be compared. A Rayovac'd SolarForce L2M split in half, a Malkoff'd Pentagon X1, an Elzetta Alpha 415, a warm Malkoff'd FiveMega body and a couple of the photon kings new products will be compared in a search and rescue scenario along with a punch a bobcat in the face use.

Oh, and since war has been declared on the local ferile feline population 3 prisoners have been taken. They all have new homes for those squeemish folks reading this. Good homes.
But the other night at 1am a racoon decided to try out the chicken flavored bait. It was illuminated by various light techniques indoors that led to it being distracted a few seconds at a time, but soon resumed its meal consumption. The most effective was by a Streamlight Stinger on strobe using a sweeping motion, but that only did the trick for about 30 seconds. When shining warm and neutral lights on it I think it winked at me as if to say thanks for the daylight. But the whiter the light the longer it was distracted. And the copy paper white light from some 015 Streamlights were the best for that.
Ricky finished his dinner and strolled across the street into a neighbors yard.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last nights battle royal was the pint sized cop lights. The 3 volt collection was placed in a matchup of carry in a hurried scenario. The same old how far does it shine, how well does it provide overall lighting, and how the tint vs squint takes place in darkness.

But the main part of the quest was to discover why the 2 cell version has remained in the lineup of varying light makers who largely abandoned their 1 cell siblings. The thought was not due to the physics of brightness, but the ability to confidently use the light in troubled times.

In many cases users tend to decide some 1 cell lights are too big. Yet makers continue to produce them despite the ability to minimize them. So I did the usual throw, flood and interface comparisons.

Still amazed at the output of that Pelican 2350 vs a Malkoff'd fivemega 1 cell, a Malkoff'd Pentagon 1 cell, a Rayovac'd SolarForce 1 cell body (that smoked the fm and pentagon btw), and PK's PR-1. The PR-1 was hands down the winner in output and throw. But confidence of carry was the real challenge last night.

The Pelican is pretty close to the length and girth of the SureFire EB1. Shaping and texture are fine in the middle but the smooth fore and aft ends in such a small platform create a sense of slipperiness. Same with the fivemega with a SureFire twisty tailcap.

The Pentagon was more grippy overall due to a sandy feel to the coating but... the 5 sided anti roll at the tail and stiff button create an odd sensation when handled like an underhand carry does. A cigar grip provides the best of those mentioned so far. In overhand tactical grip the stiff button of the Pentagon was again a hinderance. Not the case with the PR-1.

The knurling at the fore and aft ends of the SolarForce provides the confidence of a 2 cell light. A lack of positive connection of the emitter (or something) was an issue.

With that one a spacer had to be added to allow the P60 sized emitter to go at all. Yet it kept cycling from high to low, sometimes rapidly. I will try a Malkoff drop in at some point to see if it's merely the Rayovac module or if it is a connection issue. But the little extra length and end to end knurling causes this one to be a confidence booster. It's lighter weight vs the Pelican, fm and Pentagon is also a virtue.

Again the PR-1 stood out among the crowd. The shaping to some is too aggressive, yet that little light, not much larger than its fuel cell provides a positive grip un-equaled by the other much larger lights used last night. It handles much like a 2 cell light.

At one point I placed on my Mechanix gloves like soldiers wear. The virtues of the PR-1 really stood out at that point.

Trying to activate the fivemega, the Pentagon and the Pelican required both hands to keep from dropping them while turning them on. Not slippery by any means. Just not 1 hand activate friendly regardless of hold positioning.

The SolarForce has such an easy to activate button that 1 hand was do-able. But the PK light felt like it was velcro'd to the glove. Amazing.

I also had a PR-1 outfitted with the tailstanding PRX tail cap, and with gloves that was the best of the bunch. Much less travel is required to signal or activate it, yet the wings prevent accidental pocket activation. And cigar grip felt completely natural. And overhand tactical again was much like a 2 cell light due to the ergonomics.

So last nights winner was the PK PR-1 with a PRX tail cap lego'd to it. Second goes to the stock PR-1 and bronze to the SolarForce.

Last edited:

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Being an idiot. Used the MH20 outside to look for the keys to the sliding door that I had to panelbeat-fix earlier in the day. Searched my butt off, with no luck. Cursed myself for being so careless with keys. Big security risk to let keys get lost.

Wife found the keys in the cupboard below the key rack.

I give up.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No battle royal took place during tonights jaunt. What with all this talk in the incan section lately I was thinking vintage with a modern warmy to tag along. But in the spirit of the battle royal my idea vintage military light(s). A quick scan around my den revealed an Eveready Daylo soldier boy (circa 1922) I put a 222 in and a reproduction Bright Star TL122B (circa 1944). Idea being you are a tired, hungry allied soldier in a bombed out city in Europe trying to find your platoon. The soldier boy being a 2C woulda had a precious amount of fuel in those times and a 2D TL122 not much more. So I pretended street lights were the glow of a burning building.

It was surprising how bright those two were. The soldier boy was a flooder from the factory with its waleye lens and round globe bulb. But the magnifier tip of the 222 allows the 15-20 lumens to cast a 3' circle onto objects about 35' away. TL 122 was great up to about 50' and would light up light colored objects 75' or so... enough to see it was a cat for example. Luckily a nice warm den awaited instead of having to seek shelter outside in the 20 something degree air.

Every so often I'd confirm an object was what I thought using the Bones I had with me. Wow! That thing lit up the woods I was pretending was a jumbled mass of carnage of what had been a town square.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I was hanging 2-70" TVs Today in a Car Dealership that used to be a Supermarket and there is a history of Rodent activity there for me.
I was in the ceiling with my Olight H1 on my head and Mag 3D in my swinging arm all afternoon!
I spotted them on 4 occasions and was approached twice and let me just say that "Close does not count"!
I think I put the fear in them but I got out of that ceiling as fast as I could too!

The basement of the place is said to be infested and I have been warned to never have any reason to go there......and I have not.

I might need to try one of those Bat lights that looks like a small baseball bat?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yikes AV!! Scary stuff there.

When it's a hamster sized rodent or smaller I'm cool...
When it's approaching the size of a rabbit, a cat.. a small dog ⊙▁⊙ .... this fella goes into world record skee-daddle mode.