What did you use your flashlight for today?

ven

Flashaholic
Halfords, yep we do and have a trade card(only covers oils n stuff, not lights or accessories). The discount makes it not too bad, other than that they are quite an expensive shop imo. Off to Cornwall soon, lots of swiss army knives and maglites in abundance :laughing:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Tried out my new First-Light TORQ LE model during my work-shift. Yeah, there are some issues with it that the CR123 lights from the company doesn't suffer from. **** poor designed latch to hold the battery compartment closed, absolute joke of a pocket-carry clip (thankfully I ordered the optional belt mount attachment for mine, which is the only practical way to carry it on you). And the idea of this being a weapon-light that you don't actually mount onto a handgun is even more laughable than the carry-clip that comes with it. Along with cheap feeling overall construction. Honestly, an old incandescent Garrity angle-head light feels more refined in the hand. (For those of you who remember those, yeah; that's saying quite a bit.)

Though if you want a very good modern-day rendition of the classic Amery Angle-head light with good output and other useful modes, the TORQ works well in that regard. I love the very low red LEDs output for checking maps at night without shining a beacon to your precise location. Treat it as such, and it's useful.

ven

Flashaholic
Sat chilling watching netflix on the ipad last night in the conservatory, doors wide open for cool air. A panic and slight scream as Rach stood up, i turned to notice quite a substantial size moth, then another. Two of these furry winged monsters(her eyes) are about to attack and eat her............I picked the little ZL s5c which was sat in front of me on the table eager to be used. One click for a pre set decent amount of light and walked to the door, shining it back at them and a face hiding behind the inner door :faint: . Within 10 to 20s, they followed the bright light towards the open doors and simply flew out back into the night. "see, now you see again why i always have a light at hand, comes in useful" "yeh yeh i know.......thank god for that".

Monocrom

Flashaholic
^^ Really?
I like the torq LE. Took some getting used to the UI, but once I did I thought it pretty easy to like.

As a non-mounted weapon-light, it falls short of its marketing. As a modern rendition of the old military Angle-head light evolved to a fantastic degree, that's where it shines (pun unintended).

I like it in that role. But I can't overlook the fact that this thing is rough, literally. I spent a few minutes of my work-shift using a marble hardtop to basically sand down the plastic around one of the pivot screws for the floor plate that holds the batteries in place. Also, mine shipped with no indicators for how the batteries are supposed to go in. No + or - signs anywhere on or near the battery compartment. I've already had one incident in which I tried to draw the light from the optional belt-mount (which works fantastically BTW, and I highly recommend it), but the latch on the light's battery compartment popped off! Only reason I didn't have the batteries drop out is because the floor plate itself is rather stiff.

Someone in my position, it's not a general purpose EDC light. Yes, I carry multiple lights on me. But I work security at a place I can't talk about, except to say it's a prime terror target, if the wrong people find out just what actually goes on there. And that's no exaggeration. If I need to draw my light to check out something that seems off when I'm doing my outdoor patrol late at night with almost zero light pollution; I need my primary light to work when I grab it.

That thin wire clip right up against the forward portion of the floor plate simply doesn't instill confidence. I don't mind a light that's rough if it's reliable in all the important ways. Sadly, the more I use it, the more I think it would be better as a general purpose angle-head light. Must admit, I do love how incredibly easy it is to program. And the belt mount lets you walk around with it on constant-on to use as a hands free mini search-light. I don't hate it. But First-Light is just marketing it the wrong way.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The torque is intended for close quarter action so the user doesn't have to resort to holding his/her flashlight in a sexy way with pistol deployed like Brad Pitt does in the movies. Usually for indoors. Anything at distances can be handled with modern day IR gear.

Anyway I used my Coast HP7R to light up stuff a good ways away while paving on an interstate where footages are measured in the thousands. At 75mph a thousand feet goes by pretty quickly and we do a couple of miles each night.

gDBIo9F.jpg

Checking reflectivity or looking for markings to ID mile points is easy with the HP7R.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The torque is intended for close quarter action so the user doesn't have to resort to holding his/her flashlight in a sexy way with pistol deployed like Brad Pitt does in the movies. Usually for indoors.

Must admit, the TORQ has pretty good throw outdoors on max. mode.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work where we remove pavement and put it back along the interstate we pave to near guardrails. The pavement goes under the guardrail. But in order to replace that part we have to remove the guardrail, and put it back later.

My current assignment is a pinchy pincher where we are paving in less expensive ways. Removing and replacing guardrail is expensive. So on this job we pave as close to it as possible.

Now when a car leaves the lane for whatever reason we want them to be able to correct as easily as possible and not have our new pavement edge be what causes them to hit the guardrail. And our edge is about a pair of tires wide.

There can be no raised edge at the edge of our new pavement edge to keep the car from correcting away from said guardrail.

Last night I used my floody PKDL PR-1 to check the edge of work done. The contractor asked what I was looking at. I showed him how his work was correct, and how the previous paver had left a lip. I explained what I was looking for.

izi0T7j.jpg

To the left was no bueno
To the right was what the contactor had done.

berryns

Newly Enlightened
I used my Surefire E1E (circa 2000) with Kl1 head to search my child's bed after he woke up with numerous, mysterious bug bites.

I didn't find anything so it must have happened outside just before he went to bed.

Tribull

Enlightened
I used my new Malkoff MDC 1XAA neutral in the house tonight with the lights of to see it's creamy goodness. My girlfriend comes out of the bedroom and rolls her eyes, " Why don't you put the light on it's a lot easier " I look at her and say you wouldn't understand.

Bourbon City

Newly Enlightened
I used my ThruNite Archer 1A V3 to find the On/Off Switch on my CC Shortwave Radio while camping last night. I'll likely use it again tonight. Yes it is a bit hot for camping, but my joints are loving the heat of Summer. All I sleep under is a mosquito net....no tent when it's this hot.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Last night, me and another guy were standing next to our motorcycles just shootin the breeze after an event we attended where we had to park in 4" grass. When he removed his glasses to clean them off, one of the lenses popped out and fell into the grass. No real ambient light and that lens all but disappeared. To the rescue came my Lumintop Cu Tool from my right front pocket! Bang! Needless to say, that guy was very happy to meet me and my tool. [emoji1]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good deal Johnny!! That's pretty cool.

I gave my Streamlight Double Clutch headlamp flying lessons last night. (Poor flashlight)

In a rare temper tantrum I threw my hard hat down (light turned on) and it bounced into the lane of traffic I was working next to. "Thud, boing, boing" and along comes a transfer truck and sends my hard hat tumbling the length of a football feild then into some woods on the other side of the road... to about 50 yards I could see the poor light all spinning around and I yelled out "WILSOOOOON" but soon after it went out. I made my way over to the edge of the woods that were lit by construction equipment lighting. Low and behold the hardhat was only ding'd slightly and 1 battery had partially popped away from the spring that pushes it toward the positive end. Battery position corrected and the light went back to working.

A testiment to 3M hard hats, Petzel headlight to hard hat clips and my Streamlight Double Clutch.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think he was referring to a Tom Hanks "Wilson".

Bill

edit: PhotonWrangler, you got it too. LOL.

Last edited: