What did you use your flashlight for today?

ven

Flashaholic
That 6p mr fixer is the equivalent of posting a pic of a Ferrari f40 on a car forum! Love it.................flashlight perfection at its best, classic surefire with a modern malkoff twist:naughty:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It is like multi-breed dog.... a mutt. But the combination makes for a mighty fine lighting tool.

A beater I found on eBay for about 1/3 of what I see most sell for, complete with an old P60 lamp. I used spare parts to make it useful for my purposes while still having a warm beam. Then I tried that Speed Clip and viola.. even more practical for my purposes.

Tonights carry is the one that got me liking pocket clip carry to start with...
IMG_20171006_145950.jpg

A gift from the man himself...
FL2 #289 cerekoted because he could, with a modified PR-1 clip, Elzetta lanyard ring with LED Lenser P7 lanyard and fed by SureFire 123's with a charged Keepower 16650 nearby.

Basically it gets used on low most often. But I want more light in the case I'm in now, being I hear wolves yelping in the nearby woods at my work.
Lanyard loop draping from my pocket allows a quick 2 finger grab if centrifugal device is needed during an animal attack. And the FL2 is just one kik-@$$ light.
Each and every time I turn it on around workers who've not seen it before results in somebody saying holy**** that thing is awesome... so there is that.

I really, really like the Bones too, but as dark as it is at my current project I just don't need that much light very often and when I do, a PR-1 is in my trouser pocket ready, willing and able.

The Alpha hi/lo switch fits and works on the Bones btw, but low is like 400 or something. It gets noticeably dimmer, but not the 7 to 15 lumens like on the Alpha... next week I'll give that a one go.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well, the folks on the project I was working as a night guard on ended up a bust.
I was asked to take over operations of the whole thing and agreed. Now on the contractor side, they are very aggressive and well connected. So they tend to treat a staff of inspectors the way mobsters treat a local pizza restaurant owner.
Cool!! I'm up for the challenge. How does this fit into a flashlight thread you ask...

Enter a Maglite.
These days smaller is better for us flashaholics. My first hour as head dude started out with a bang. The contractor was about to start an unsafe operation. I told him no. He said "I know people", I said "yeah? Well I know people too". He said "I know your bosses". I said "yeah? I know their bosses". I cited rule after rule as he stuttered, stammered and paced around dialing his phone trying to get me over ruled. Eventually he did but not after calling some heavy hitters along the way.

2 hours later I was a marked man surrounded by about 50 workers who were told I was a monster trying to keep them from earning their paycheck. Uh oh.

While walking about doing my job I was carrying a 3 C Maglite. At points workers approached me and struck up conversations. Fun banter with compliments by me about the quality of their work. I gave one guy my last cigarette. Shortly after they were passing around word the inspector fellow was pretty cool. But in the meantime that Maglite stayed in my hand and at one point I approached the boss who had me over ruled with a big smile while letting him know through whack a palm gestures that I was carrying a Maglite.

That was 2 nights ago. Tonight I was told not to come back to the project.
I shone the light on shadows often enough to indicate it was a flashlight and nothing more.

I had my FL2 pocket clipped in case the Maglite gave out but the ML50L provided plenty of lighting of shadows and it was indeed a pleasure to use a 1970's looking flashlight with 2016 brightness.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed Pete. Hence the Maglite for lighting shadows instead of my usual portable electric fire on a stick.

Between black bear and coyote lurking in the woods nearby and a crooked contractor trying to pressure me into violating my ethics, frankly I'm relieved to have been removed from the situation.... I'm just curious who it was that got me removed... the contractor or my own team.
Two inspectors quit and one called in sick when word got out I was no longer going to be their supervisor.
Back to the office for a few days where a flashlight is handy to light up USB ports or find a dropped pen under my desk.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hunting USB plugs under a dark desk sounds like a safer place to be! It's a shame though that the world is full of rotten apples. l'm proud to hear one of our own is doing the right thing! [emoji106]

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a bit of a gruesome use but as a volunteer fire fighter responding to a medical call I used my olight i3s keychain light tailstanding to provide a little area lighting in the bedroom of an rv that had non functioning lights in what ended up being a dead on scene call.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hunting USB plugs under a dark desk sounds like a safer place to be! It's a shame though that the world is full of rotten apples. l'm proud to hear one of our own is doing the right thing! [emoji106]
Agreed. Turns out the construction manager I'm being trained to replace has fought that contractor (and won) so he gave me a thumbs up and told me "other than those black bear nearby you were in no danger"... turns out he knows some people too. Apparently word got back to him "dam dude we thought you were tough but that little pee-on of yours makes you look mild".
It's all a game to some folks and it seems the contractors management were entertained how frazzled I had their best guy that night... who as it turns out is their mid atlantic safety director.

Btw...
IMG_20171012_170453.jpg

I used a Pelican 2320 with a 1000 lumen drop in by member LightKnot and a blemished Malkoff clicky (w/wrist lanyard attached) to light USB ports. :candle:

Perhaps a bit of a gruesome use but as a volunteer fire fighter responding to a medical call I used my olight i3s keychain light tailstanding to provide a little area lighting in the bedroom of an rv that had non functioning lights in what ended up being a dead on scene call.

Sure beats finding the deceased in darkness. :eek:

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Used my HDS Hyper Red while shooting beamshots for my Olight M2R review. Red light came in handy in the dark. It's so much easier on the eyes, than white light.

terjee

Enlightened
A lot of European cities have motion-sensor activated lights in hallways. We visited Warsaw this past week, and the hallways of the building we stayed in had just such a setup. Somewhat amusingly, it lit up where you were, but what I wanted to see was the other end of the hallway, the place I was going towards. Despite being on the 15th floor, the hallways mostly looked like a grim underground bunker. SC600w Mk III provided a bit more illumination. ;-)

Warsaw was great btw, highly recommended if you like larger European cities.

FortyCaliber

Newly Enlightened
I shone the light on shadows often enough to indicate it was a flashlight and nothing more.

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes I've come across over the years.

I wish I remember what forum I read it on or who said it, but years ago someone, I believe LE, was talking about their large flashlight and they said,

"One end is for illumination, the other end is for enlightenment."

That saying always brings a smile to my face when I think about it.

ven

Flashaholic
I like that fortyCal!

Friday evening and Sat, been using all these on and off , be it around the house or out back in the garden................looking at trees 100's of feet away(never grows old)
8vKKf8sl.jpg

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Spent the weekend on a farm pretty much in the middle of the country.

Sitting next to the fire we heard rufous-cheeked nightjars calling, and when I at some point switched on my Nitecore MH20 I spotted one flying above us, hawking insects. Pretty soon there were about 8 of these nocturnal birds above us, catching the insects drawn to the light.

We were able to "catch" them in the light beam like WW2 aircraft in the searchlight beams, watching them zone in on their prey and making the catch.

Was a pretty special sighting as you usually only hear these birds or see them when driving at night on dirt roads where they would suddenly fly up in front of the car, making identification of the actual species difficult.

I found it interesting that unlike other birds, their eyes reflect red in the light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ That is an epic post!!

All I was gonna say was I used an Inova X1 to light the receptical I was plugging a cord into instead 'feeling around' until it plugged in...

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Every night now for maybe a week(maybe longer as not been keeping track) has been a variety of lights out the back, lighting trees and around the garden(odd neighbours face in bedroom window lit in bright spill :eek:.............you think they would know by now) Last night(as i can remember that!..............only because they are still out on the table :laughing: )was the r50vn,m43vn,sc62d and sc53w. the r50vn just offers an awesome all rounder of a beam, enough throw yet lots of perfectly round spill. The 26650 body just feels so good in hand. The m43vn is of course crazy 11k lumens , the reach is sure impressive(90kcd) .............Still right down in lumens, both ZL's were enough to still light up around, in 5000k and 4500k beams. Who knows what tonight's lights will be:)

Breadman

Newly Enlightened
Well, since you asked, ironically I was re-wiring a light-tower, (4 1000w metal halide bulbs) and even though was working in direct sunlight I still had to reach for my edc of the day (been changing as I'm just getting back into it) to see the wiring up inside the box. Also as a hayride driver testing different edc's it's amazing how quickly I can evaluate between the good, the bad and just plain (only good for sitting around playing with flashlights) categories.