What did you use your flashlight for today?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, ven and Monocrom! Had my first physical therapy appointment today and I'm starting off in a good spot so that's a good sign! :) Just going to follow instructions, do the exercises, and keep the headlamp handy!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thank you, ven and Monocrom! Had my first physical therapy appointment today and I'm starting off in a good spot so that's a good sign! :) Just going to follow instructions, do the exercises, and keep the headlamp handy!

Sounds good, Brother.

Taz80

Enlightened
I was doing traffic control for a coworker, he was taking longer than anticipated. My fingers were getting real cold so I used my EC22 on high as a handwarmer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PR-1 lit up a cavity in daytime again.

I got a call to check out a "washout" under a concrete wall next to a bridge. I get there and the bosses are looking at the situation. One boss gets all on his knees looking under the wall. I hand him my PR-1 and he sees all of the issue. His eyes got real big as he saw how bright that little light is. He was the big boss and was not aware I carry a flashlight everywhere. A bit later the other bosses that do know I carry walk up and one says "can I use you retina scorcher please?"...
Thatz like the 4th or 5th time the PR-1 has been used by that fellow.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is is not time he bought his own?
You'd think if they realise how useful carrying a light is, they'd pick one up.
Having said that, every time Mrs. Yeti goes out after dark I have to ask is she has her light, and normally receive the answer "I don't know".
(Sounds of slow exhalation).
P

PR-1 lit up a cavity in daytime again.

I got a call to check out a "washout" under a concrete wall next to a bridge. I get there and the bosses are looking at the situation. One boss gets all on his knees looking under the wall. I hand him my PR-1 and he sees all of the issue. His eyes got real big as he saw how bright that little light is. He was the big boss and was not aware I carry a flashlight everywhere. A bit later the other bosses that do know I carry walk up and one says "can I use you retina scorcher please?"...
Thatz like the 4th or 5th time the PR-1 has been used by that fellow.

Non-learner or just cheap?

I try to teach my sons not to depend on others for their needs. Last week we were working away from home and it was a cold day. When we exited the truck I see him put my hat on.

Me - "Why are you wearing my hat?"

Son - "It's cold, dad and you have two."

Me - "Yes, because when one becomes wet I'll have a dry one in the truck."

Son - "Can I wear it?"

Me - "No. Your mother isn't working here."

Son - "What does that mean?"

Me - "It means you're old enough (18) to think about what you'll need before we leave the house,........ instead of playing on the computer up until it's time to walk out the door."

~ Chance who likes a dry hat

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes... he's only 18. Why not let him borrow the hat? Only give him guff if he a) fails to take care of it, or b) fails to return it. Sheesh.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Fenix E01 to light up the song book when we went Christmas caroling as a family. It provided the needed light in a pinch, my eyes were agitated from the tint but it didn't detract from the evening as a whole.

I had the Thrunite TiS in my pocket just in case...

We are going to have a brown Christmas where I live...it has been at least 48F the past few days...no forecast of snow until at least after Jan 1st. I loves me a good Chinook wind.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm known as Sgt Dad by my kids CG but....

Handing my project manager a flashlight.... well it's kinda like when a surgeon says "scapple" to the nurse. It would not be ideal to say "get your own scapple doc".
Plus I get lots of style points.

Non-learner or just cheap?

I try to teach my sons not to depend on others for their needs. Last week we were working away from home and it was a cold day. When we exited the truck I see him put my hat on.

Me - "Why are you wearing my hat?"

Son - "It's cold, dad and you have two."

Me - "Yes, because when one becomes wet I'll have a dry one in the truck."

Son - "Can I wear it?"

Me - "No. Your mother isn't working here."

Son - "What does that mean?"

Me - "It means you're old enough (18) to think about what you'll need before we leave the house,........ instead of playing on the computer up until it's time to walk out the door."

~ Chance who likes a dry hat

Yikes... he's only 18. Why not let him borrow the hat? Only give him guff if he a) fails to take care of it, or b) fails to return it. Sheesh.

An 18 year old is deemed responsible enough to drive, vote, protect (kill & die for) his/her country and be emancipated from family control. I think an 18 year old should also be self-reliant enough to dress weather appropriately. Why not let him borrow the hat? Because I'm a good enough father to let him learn (suffer) from his mistakes. He is 18 years old, not eight.

Oh, you're a hard man, CG.
Did you let him wear it after that?
P

No, I didn't let him wear it. BTW - He was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and it was 46 degrees outside.

If you're considered old enough to vote.... You're old enough to wear your own hat. :santa:

Indeed! Or at the very least, borrow one before leaving the house.

I'm known as Sgt Dad by my kids CG but....

Handing my project manager a flashlight.... well it's kinda like when a surgeon says "scapple" to the nurse. It would not be ideal to say "get your own scapple doc".
Plus I get lots of style points.

I've strived to keep from being a Helicopter Parent and/or a Drill Sargent Parent. I have strong tendencies toward being both. The first hovers over their children, always trying to insulate them from the natural consequences of their actions, thereby removing any incentive to learn from poor choices. The second takes all authority unto themself, thereby teaching the child they need someone to think and decide for them. Not a good life lesson. Least someone accuse me ....... I have never allowed their ability to make poor choices endanger their wellbeing.

I didn't suggest that you not loan your flashlight. I just mused he's either a slow learner or depends on others for his obvious needs.

A few days later we were heading out for work. Guess what? He asked me if I had a hat he could wear. I said - "Of course, here's a bunch to chose from." The hat's ownership wasn't an issue. The issue was being self-reliant and showing up for work with what he needed, not depending on someone else being prepared.

I love my son enough to let him learn from his mistakes. I love him enough to teach him to not be That Guy.

~ Chance

Sorry for the thread derailment.

m3E2inL.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ah! I know the perfect gift for your son this Christmas!
A huge box! Contents: One hat.
Nothing could be more appropriate this year. :D

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.

I used my newly arrived Q MiNi to illuminate Mr. Bunny so my mom could see him in her back yard. Yes, he let us get pretty close. I think he knows Granny feeds him.

~ Chance

YKFEclt.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Powertac E2 1AA model to look inside of my work-bag for a small bottle of Tylenol.
(Darn it's dark in there.)