What does a $150-200 flashlight get you these days?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the early days when the Luxeon's (I probably spelled that wrong) ruled, it seemed like in order to get a really decent LED flashlight, you had to spend $200 and the like (Surefire, etc) and there were limited mainstream manufacturers. I myself bought a couple of McGizmo mods. Now there are a lot of mainstream flashlight manufacturers such as Nitecore, Olight, Fenix etc that offer a variety of lights, many in the $50-75 dollar range. It seems like their only real expensive offerings are the ones with multiple LEDs that produce thousands of lumens. But in exploring some flashlights suggested to me in another thread, it seems like there are still quite a few single LED flashlights that run upwards of $150-200 or more. So just curious, what does all that extra money get you these days?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It gets me a beating from my wife. To tell you the truth, my expensive lights from small companies work simply and are built well. My expensive lights are built well and have all the bells and whistles. In light charging etc. some of the small company lights have quirks. Some of the big companies lights have quirks. But to tell you the truth, I prefer the small company, hand built lights. The owner's have more hands on time with their projects. But they're all made by humans and they're not perfect. Inexpensive lights hold my fancy as well and they stand up just as well

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just responded to your earlier post, but will go part way out on a limb and make one suggestion: Do not leave Streamlight out of your list of considered suppliers. A lot of people who make a living with their lights as I have find their quality / reliability / performance / cost equation to be right in that 'sweet spot' range I mentioned earlier. I own lights from the manufacturers you've mentioned, and some of them are pretty good - I'm not gonna trash them. I can tell you however that my Streamlights would be among the last I would give up if I had to give some up. They also offer a myriad of choices that's hard to match.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll get a more sturdy light, if you pay more. Probably a more efficient driver, too. But, that's about it. Unless you really need a light that will survive being dropped out an airplane, the sweet spot for lights is around the $50 - $100 point. Under $50 for budget lights, which can get you lots of bells and whistles. Stay away from anything under $25.

Sometimes, all a small company offers is expensive manufacturing, due to local production and small economies of scale. You'll pay a lot more for a light not made in China. If that's something important to you, go for it. But if you don't want to pay double, then stick with overseas manufacturing.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, the Streamlight microstream was my work pocket light. This year for Christmas my nephew asked for a little lantern he could bring out to the outside porch when he was grilling this winter and I picked him up the Streamlight Siege. Seems like a nice little lantern.

I just responded to your earlier post, but will go part way out on a limb and make one suggestion: Do not leave Streamlight out of your list of considered suppliers. A lot of people who make a living with their lights as I have find their quality / reliability / performance / cost equation to be right in that 'sweet spot' range I mentioned earlier. I own lights from the manufacturers you've mentioned, and some of them are pretty good - I'm not gonna trash them. I can tell you however that my Streamlights would be among the last I would give up if I had to give some up. They also offer a myriad of choices that's hard to match.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a buddy who's a truck mechanic and snap-on brings his tools and parts. He's been doing business for over 20 years and all he buys since they first talked him into them was the streamlight stinger. He actually lost it last year so he bought a new, cranberry colored model. He found it in the truck they were working on the day after he bought it. I offered to buy it from him and he said hell no. He has no use for it but it's just always working no matter how greasy it gets, or how many times he's dropped it.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to simply register disagreement with that statement, as I do not believe it is nearly always the case at all.

Same here. Most times I feel it is just a status symbol. So you can show off how much money you spent on a flashlight.

scout24

Flashaholic
$150-$200 gets you a really nice Malkoff straight from Gene and Cathy. My (and anyone's) Hound Dog 18650 has an aluminum reflector, brass "can", and a McClicky tailswitch. High low ring. Simple, and solid as can be. An MD2 or 3 can have the same said of it if you fancy something more pocketable. Fantastic single emitter lights in your price parameter, getting you bombproof construction and great customer service.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
You can get a decent light for every room in the house and each car.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
<200 used
Infinitely Variable Titanium Rotary, Cool White, Low CRI
pBplS6wl.jpg

<150 modified
Infinitely variable Aluminium Rotary, Warm White, High CRI
HeHbrful.jpg

<100 new
Infinitely variable Aluminium Rotary, Cool White, Low CRI, multifuel
4X3HJbAl.png

eyyf8HPl.png

4D9WLWUl.png

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
<200 used

so that gets you what, a picture?
cool looking lights, but it would help if you say what those lights actually are.
or did you make them, and you didn't assign them names or model numbers?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, $150-200 = "nice" lights.
"Tactical" ones that are typically American made, with a simple UI, short on features, but long on quality and reliability.
Same as a decade ago, really, the output's just gone up.
For a hobbyist, it hasn't changed much, either. More $$ gets you fancier EDC lights, and generally better construction in a full-size light or big thrower than more run of the mill Chinese stuff.
Personally, I really can't see paying over $100 for anything, any more, except a long-term work light that's going to see frequent and intensive use, along with getting banged up along the way. That's what has had me carrying Malkoffs for the last decade, and eyeing an Elzetta(lots of tacticool hype, sure, but...that beam!), but even that is pushing it in terms of "need".
We're not here to talk about practicality or need, though, are we?:poke:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't know, the most I have ever spent on a light was $52 CDN. All my lights still perform as new and never had an issue. I guess I could spend more and still have the sane results, but I can't find the sense in that.

Vemice

Enlightened
Also depends on what is important to you and if you use a light as a daily tool, are a hobbiest or both. Personally I like titanium and US (mostly) made. I have very little use for lights but just find them fun as a hobby. I have a few AAA lights in that price range and look at them as a form of art. Having them modified to meet your perceived needs also adds to the price. Example is the McGizmo Sapphire: a AAA single mode, low output keychain light. Beautiful beam and high CRI. Pretty much useless for most applications but my favorite light.
VTRkTSil.jpg

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
One man's sense is another man's nonsense. $450.00 gets me 20,000 lumens and 2500 meters of throw in one flashlight, both at the same time. But only in one hand. I took advantage of the special and for $900.00 I got double that, but one in each hand, both at the same time.

$270.00 gets me 14,000 lumens and 1700 meters of throw. For these throw and lumen spec's at that price point, I took advantage of the special on that one also, for $540.00.

I have a few lights that I spent a lot less money on, such as the $150 price range and $75 price range, but they are not useful for massive flashlight excitement, which is the main reason why I use flashlights.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If purchased intelligently; $150 will get you a couple lights in you mailbox that'll blow the 'Jingle Bells' off your Luxeon light.

Late last Spring I ordered up two 50.2 emitter lights w/ deep reflectors, very strong output & throw (plus a decent low mode)
Made well, powered by 26650, Low voltage cutoff is 3.0V on the button.

Both* lights cost me $78 or $39 each

*one for gift

Last edited:

Latest posts