WHAT IS THE BEST BURNING LASER TO PURCHASE

amichljr1

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering what is the strongest burning ability laser that needs no modifications for sixty bucks, cause I got sixty bucks I can afford to spend on one and that's all uncle Sam wrote
I got a few on e-bay from China. They burn a hole clean through black glad trash bags in no time. Best part, the charger & batteries fit the Fenix flashlight I got too. Please note: Don't play with them at night outside. Ha Ha [emoji57] I did and my radio scanner went apeshit.

malcolmcal

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tmack! This is my first time asking you a question about lasers.

All these high powered laser pointers seem to take really expensive batteries. Is there any way of making one that has an electrical cord connected to it to enable it to be be plugged into the wall for AC power? That would seem to be able to eliminate short run times and power limits batteries introduce. Sure, it wouldn't be portable like a battery powered pointer, but power could be unlimited, right?

Before anyone here rolls their eyes (assuming this is a dumb question), I'll admit I'm a newb and have owned exactly one 5mw laser pointer, which I no longer have....I broke it trying to increase the power according to instructions found on the internet. :)

As long as the laser has a propper driver you can use pretty much any walwort poweer supply from 4volts to 7 volts. (If you're using a 2w or higher power, then your power supply needs to be 2 amps or so. Most drivers limit the current to 1.8 amps, not sure on the 3w though.)

Theodore41

Enlightened
Hi.
I bought a SHARP EAGLE ZQ-LA-301 445nm blue laser, declared as having between 1300 and 1500 mW, from Bang good at $69.00.I turned it on,saw a decent beam in the night sky,but when I tried to play, burning the usual things,as paper,plastic etc,I had no positive result.
Has anybody here any suggestion for this?I wish I had a laser meter,so as to return it if it is fake 1.5W.

fishingfor1822

Newly Enlightened
I can burn from over 10ft :D
Can light a cigarette or paper bag from 15ft.

Inches away would be without focus. My 3w plus lasers can light thing fast at around 5ft. Smoke instantly

And under 1w would of course require close range.

Not many youtube videos are of custom lasers though, so under 2w.
Most of the guys building lasers are very bored of burning lol. It's still fun, but I'm more concerned with NOT burning things during testing :p

Btw I have a 2.7w laser for sale in a custom black host for $200. This will burn anything you put in front of it. If focused, 5-10ft burn no problem.

hello sir looking to purchase a few lasers from you please email me [email protected]

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious. From reading your posts tmack a 1w diode on 2x18350 runs for about ten minutes. At one watt shouldn't it run for 2+ hours? At a vf of say 5 volts because these require more voltage than our flashlight LEDs that's 200ma. That's nothing for a driver. Shouldn't produce any heat really at all. Does 200ma going through a laser diode produce that much heat at the junction?

Dylanthedude

Newly Enlightened
I can see I'm not wanted here.. :(

But I will continue to torment you all with beautiful photons!

Muuhaahaa! :D how's this for lux?
hu6uzaje.jpg

Hey tmack. I'm looking for a really bright laser for a Christmas present. Looking to spend about 200. Could go a little higher if it was worth it.. here's my email: [email protected]

Looking forward to hearing from you

kardenm

Newly Enlightened
I was recommended here from LPF . I'm much more active the and have MANY more lasers than lights.

I can build you a mag lite laser 3w for half that price. I've built and sold many lasers and am a trusted member over there. My username is the same if you want to check out what I've been selling.

A 445nm (blue) laser is your best bet for power to price ratio if burning is your fancy. Let me know, I can build any host or power range you'd like, as well as direct you to a bunch of builders. :)

If you look in the " rare mag lite" thread here at CPF, there is a pic of my personal mag laser 3w

Hi Tmack. I am very much wanting to buy a green laser from you. Maybe some others also.
How can we talk and set something up?
I'm new to this forum and apparently don't have enough post to see your profile so tell me what to do next.
Thanks!

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Tror M II for $50 off ebay and it's a 1.33 watt 445nm blue laser, It burns through a spent Bic Lighter and ignites the remaining gas in less than 30 seconds if you hold it still enough....

The same guy I bought that laser from now has a 5+ watt laser called a "Thor Ultra" that comes with large rechargeable batteries, charger, safety glasses, 5 x Star caps, and a case and he's selling it for $350.00 !

s-l1600.jpg

Zombiextreme420

Newly Enlightened
So so far what i am lead to believe is that blue lasers are the best for burning???
what is the farthest distance a laser can burn at?
is there a way to have an adjustable laser that you can change the burning distance from like 5 feet to 30 and everything inbetween?
sorry i am still a newb at this

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
If you want the smallest spot size at the farthest distance and be able to change that burning distance from 5 to 175 feet and everything in between there is only one way to do it BEAM EXPANDER !!!

It's the only way to reduce beam divergence of a laser beam and before you ask ALL lasers surfer from divergence, more with some than others so the spot size will always increase other distance.....

what is the farthest distance a laser can burn at you ask ? Miles for sure !

The first video show a 30 kilowatt laser easily burning a hole through passenger truck hood at one mile away !!!

The only thing with laser weapon systems i see as a problem is what about a drone with a mirrored surface ???

Last edited:

Accutronitis

Newly Enlightened
Here is a short video showing what can be built for a under $200 and can light a paper bag on fire at 175 feet !

At the end it shows spot sizes from 20 feet up to 175 feet.....

Warning not one of the name brand hand held laser makers OR ANY hand held lasers on ebay can light a paper bag on fire at 175 feet ! To do that you'll need to modify their lasers OR build your own because nothing you can buy will have that kind of power in such a small spot size at 175 feet, Nothing !

Last edited:

ragebot

Newly Enlightened
I have a Sanwu 7w blue laser which first came out well after this thread started. Also have a JetLaser 1w red laser. Both will pop black balloons. I was able to pop a yellow balloon with the blue laser. I had gone to Walmart and bought the yellow balloons and also some gray balloons because that night Walmart was out of black balloons and I thought gray was closer to black than anything else. Thing was I could not pop the gray balloon; only cause it to leak air and deflate.

Point is that the amount of heat an object absorbs when hit by photons from any laser is dependent on the color of the object and the color/wave length of the photons hitting it.

When someone says they can burn a paper bag at 175 feet it ignores the fact that while it would be possible to burn a black bag at that distance it very likely would not be possible to burn a white bag.

The key factor is the density of photons hitting the object you want to burn. This factor is affected most by divergence and best controlled by a beam expander which collimates the light beam.

The beam is probably created by diodes (most common method for consumer lasers) which vary in how much divergence their beams have. So if you have a very powerful beam, say 7w with a lot of divergence it may well have a lower density of photons hitting an object than a 5w laser with a beam expander and less divergence.

Divergence is normally specked in mrads, or mils, which basically is a measurement of the angle the beam expands at.

Bottom line is the best burning laser is the one that puts the most photons in the smallest area; which is a function of the mrad spec and the power of the laser.

ragebot

Newly Enlightened
Tmack - do you still make lasers?

The mods are considering closing down the thread Tmack started about taking orders for his lasers due to inactivity since he was no longer responding. There are several guys at the laserpointerforums who will currently make custom lasers; often at prices lower than you can buy store bought ones. Keep in mind that there have been some first tier companies that were selling quality lasers that are no longer doing so. Same goes for the one man shops like Tmack. I would suggest you check out that site. There is something of a learning curve with lasers and spending a little time lurking over there is probably the best way to get up to speed quickly; not only on the basics but also on things like what is currently the best bang for the buck.