What is the best headlamp for running?

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Roger-Roger just for your info Action-Led still does the upgrade to neutral white emitters for $20 so I went ahead and paid for my two gloworm x2 lights to be changed over. Jim at Actionled has been helpful and I'm boxing up the lights now to send in. My main use for these lights will be cycling, but in the freezing Winter I would rather use the Gloworm x2 as my main headlamp with the external battery pack that I can place under some clothing to keep the pack warmer. Plus with 2 and 4 cell 18650 battery packs runtimes won't be an issue. The lighthead of the Gloworm is about 80 grams for the versions I have and with no battery on the head, the weight of these lights is very comfortable. Gloworm offers different optics for flood or throw which is nice so you can tune the beam to your liking. Anyway I should be set with neutral white headlamps for a while.

Last edited:

pulstar

Enlightened
What keeps me from buying 18650 based light for running are the headbands. Even my 1AA Zebralight H51 bounced quite hard with original one. Niteize nylon headband fixed that :). But 18650 light with only one hadband... I really doubt it will stay in place.

roger-roger

Enlightened
What keeps me from buying 18650 based light for running are the headbands. Even my 1AA Zebralight H51 bounced quite hard with original one. Niteize nylon headband fixed that :). But 18650 light with only one hadband... I really doubt it will stay in place.

Looking at the ZL website, it shows a band like the one that came with my H32Fw, w/o center band.

For their 18650 lights, the headband comes with a center band that loops through the rubber light holder. I *haven't* tried that one yet, but taping five quarters to the end of my H32, the OEM band for that light is definitely inadequate for the task.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Simply rerouting the zebralight headband makes it very stable. It has been discussed on the forums before. The idea is to transfer the weight of the light to the band and take it off of the flimsy silicone holder. It works great for my 52fw, H600w, and H603w. No more bouncy bounce and more comfortable too. Just run the band right through the eye openings along with the light itself. The light rests right on the band and supports the light directly. Thats the first thing I do when I get a new Zebralight headlamp. It took me all of 60 seconds to do on my recently purchased H52fw.

Anyway the H52fw single aa headlamp makes an awesome running light if you are ok with the brightness and runtimes. I can get by just fine with it, but if I'm out for a longer time I usually go for the 18650 models. As always I have a minimum of 2 lights with me when I go out, but usually 3.

Last edited: