What is the Hot LED set-up for a 6D Maglite?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi cfromc - The MaxStar5 being discussed will give you the 100+ lumens and 20+ hours of non-dimming output.

My suggestion would be to start with that then consider a new lense.

The Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon is certainly a nice light for the money but it would have about 1/2 the output and 1/7 the run time.

Paul - the output on 3 cells was explained very clearly - by design the unit runs at a lower current when the voltage drops below 4.5V.

News

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
P.S. it will also do 3 cells, but not as brightly. We have asked for TerraLUX's response to this issue, and so far nothing has been communicated back to us.

OEM literature says this bulb does "100-135 LUMEN LIGHT OUTPUT"

Conjecture - 4, 5, & 6 Cells do 135 Lumen, and 3 Cell does 100 Lumen...with rated current draw for normal operation...since literature says "Electronically Regulated for Constant Light Output."

cfromc

Enlightened
MattK said:
Hi cfromc - The MaxStar5 being discussed will give you the 100+ lumens and 20+ hours of non-dimming output.

My suggestion would be to start with that then consider a new lense.

Matt,

I was on batteryjunction.com for about an hour (at least) last night checking out all the stuff and even had my shopping cart full with the LED plus a bunch of batteries but I was starting to fall asleep before I could pull the trigger. Think I'll try to get on there a little earlier tonight. I notice there are no Pila lights on there, any chance there will be some in the future? If not, I am also considering the SF 9P but I couldn't find the p91 bulb anywhere on the site, do you sell the P91? I'd really like to only have to order from 1 place if possible and batteryjunction might be it. (still want that Pila though)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you're already in the LED section and you did say LED powered. BUT! Why not try a 6D ROP. A simple replacement of the lens and reflector and getting 6D NiMH will yeild an amazing light (~600lumens?) that will last around 2-3 hours.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EverLED works at up to 6 cells (9 volts). That is critically acclaimed by Doug at FlashLightReviews.com . I have never tried it for myself, but tempted because of my 6D. The 6D in standard form seems a bit pointless now in the LED world, so an LED upgrade is due.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
MikeSalt said:
The EverLED works at up to 6 cells (9 volts). That is critically acclaimed by Doug at FlashLightReviews.com . I have never tried it for myself, but tempted because of my 6D. The 6D in standard form seems a bit pointless now in the LED world, so an LED upgrade is due.

Yes, but the EverLED costs more and is only a Lux1. The Terralux TLE-6K2 is a K2 Luxeon and capable of 100+ Lumens...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TerraLUX MaxStar5 battery power consumption with fresh alkalines (voltages measured under load):

6D cells: 8.73 V at .40A =3.49W
5D cells: 7.24 V at .46A =3.33W
4D cells: 5.76 V at .54A =3.11W
3D cells: 4.36 V at .42A =1.83W

Your 6D cell flashlight should run 50 hours (20500 mA*h / 400 mA) nearly full bright (to 4.5V) on this drop-in :)

cfromc

Enlightened
tebore said:
Well you're already in the LED section and you did say LED powered. BUT! Why not try a 6D ROP. A simple replacement of the lens and reflector and getting 6D NiMH will yeild an amazing light (~600lumens?) that will last around 2-3 hours.

How much would that upgrade cost and do you have any links?

cfromc

Enlightened
I looked at the ROP and the other upgrades and they all sound tempting but for this light I want something with a little more run-time. I already have a light that doesn't have much run-time (although the output is nowhere near these mods). Someday I'll build one of these mega-output lights though, it sounds fun just for the sake of having something crazy bright. I will probably start from scratch though when I do it, with a 2C, 2D, 3D or 4D base. It looks like I will likely go with the MaxStar5 and maybe a lens.

schalliol

Newly Enlightened
My first post here...

Nearly a year later, I'm wondering if anyone has ideas as what the best upgrades are for a Mag 6D. I have the LED from Mag in a 2D and like it pretty well, so I wish they made a really bright one for the 6D. As of this morning, they continue to maintain they won't be making one. I see a few options in this thread and through other searches, but I thought the experts here might have a good update. Thanks for any thoughts!

JamisonM

Enlightened
My first post here...

Nearly a year later, I'm wondering if anyone has ideas as what the best upgrades are for a Mag 6D. I have the LED from Mag in a 2D and like it pretty well, so I wish they made a really bright one for the 6D. As of this morning, they continue to maintain they won't be making one. I see a few options in this thread and through other searches, but I thought the experts here might have a good update. Thanks for any thoughts!
The best depends. What do you plan to do with it? What do you want out of it? How much are you willing to spend on it?

schalliol

Newly Enlightened
All great questions. My use would be varied, yet recreational. Given the interest of others, I could see that it would be nice to have options in the following:
  1. Cheapest Replacement That Enables the Mag to Be Brighter Than The Stock Incandescent
  2. #1 With Focusing Ability If Not Offered
  3. Brightest With Focusing Under $100
  4. Best and Brightest Cost No Object (I've seen $200 units)
Realistically I'm looking for #2, no more than $50, less if possible. I don't want to put dummy batteries in and I don't want to overload an LED that shouldn't take that much power.

Alero

Enlightened
You'll like the terralux. It's great for the price. I keep one in my 6D Mag, plus I keep one of the Nite-Ize LED bulbs in the tail cap because in an emergency it will run for literally hundreds of hours if needed.

Oh, and you can get half a dozen plastic D-cell to AA-cell converters and run 6 rechargeable AA in the 6D and the Terralux does just great for a walk in the park. I used to do that for neighborhood watch nights. It was a cheap way to have a very bright, very throwy, rechareable, durable light. Also, it only weighs half as much this way and is comfortable to carry.

Conclusion: The Terralux is what I'd get if I were you. :)

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLE-6EXB is a pretty nice drop-in though it does have it's share of quirks, one of which is it's potential for a breakdown in it's thermal epoxied joints (ie. under base of emitter) and less-than-efficient voltage regulation, having said that though... short of a DIY or Malkoff drop-in, it's your BEST option over the MagLED solution (better output) :D