What is this lead for?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know what this lead is from the charger? I never use it & want to cut it off.
1000394.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: borealis

its a thermistor, its a safety feature that must be in contact with the cells during charging, it'll cut off the charger if the cells got too hot due to cell incompatability or some sort of internal failure.

the green universal smart chargers just absolutely will not turn off charging Elite 1700s last time I used it, those thermistors were the only things preventing a thermal runaway in my garage. I tried charging a pack without it and found half of my cells had their wrappings shrank from the anode regions and boiling hot and the charger still on a red [charging] status
For eneloops I never did use the thermistor, it always turned green on the dot [~1.5V/cell] everytime:shrug:

DM51

Flashaholic
Flashanator, I'm going to move your post and replies to it, to make a new thread in the Batteries section.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Good idea to leave it attached. You might want to think about using it too.

Any multi-cell charger that can not balance charge and monitor cell voltages individually WILL over-charge some of the cells in the series pack. Individual cell capacity can vary, at the same charge current from cell to cell in the pack. Thus, runaway temperatures noted by the other member are unavoidable.

Personally I would never use one of these chargers, without a multi-meter to keep tabs on pack voltage and close monitoring pack temperatures.... with my hand.

In the 70s RC enthusiasts would monitor battery pack charge manually, by temperature. Feel the pack... once it starts to get warm to the touch, stop charging. Eventually DMMs became the norm, but it still was a manual process to observe the pack charge voltage, and still it was impossible to monitor voltage for each cell individually. I can't believe they still sell chargers like the one posted by the OP... with all the advancements in charger technology over the past 2-3 decades.

Last edited: