What kind of people are into flashlights?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I use them for urban exploration. Also for old bunkers in San Francisco and the Marin Headlands I get into. I get into every nook and cranny around the Bay Area so I need a good light to make me happy. I only use AA lights because I have tons of Eneloops like most here. I wonder how big the pile would be if everyone in this forum piled our Eneloops.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a old fart and pretty much broke most of the time. I've always worked hard and have been a geek for decades. Like most or at least many of the folks here I find that people laugh at most of the stuff I know about and carry, especially the lights.

That is until something goes wrong. Immediately after the situation is cleared up most people seem to think I go right back to being the old geek.

Again like probably many others here I don't give it too much thought since helping anyone out is just what I think people ought to do all the time. This is a crowd of folks who are more than a little bit likely to be the first ones to give somebody a hand most anytime and anyplace and I think that's the best description you can get.

Last edited:

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Mid 20's Aircraft technician here. On the ramp at night, you'll always see technician use flashlights for the pre-flight inspection. Unfortunately most of them don't know a thing about flashlights and use maglites.

gmcgmc

Newly Enlightened
Mid-50's, self-employed (teaching stuff), I got into flashlights from my interest in knives. The knives led to the phenomenon we all know and love, called "edc", and that's where the lights came in. The flashlight is my most used piece of equipment.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
31 year old banker here. I'm into the outdoors and have been fascinated with flashlights since I was a child. I work in a very corporate office environment where I discreetly EDC my Fenix P1D, and my other two favorites for non-work hours are my recently acquired A2L aviator and my 6P with Malkoff M61.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was having a similar discussion with a knifemaker just recently about knifemaker and knife collector types. This was brought on because of the various show/hotels that don't want to have association with "knives" and the image they carry. We touched on firearms and the military types that go with that. An amusing discussion to say the least. Flashlights as universal lighting tools are wide and it branches into other groups of varying backgrounds along with the extremists. ;)

Me, mid 40's and it is simply a lighting tool. I find them interesting as machine art and technology, to collect them...nope. When the tech becomes old, I sell them with minimal attachment.

jimkansas

Newly Enlightened
Male 67 years old, 1 wife, 2 children - Always was a techno-nerd
Built cigar box crystal radios and Heathkits
Quit engineering school – they expected me to come to class
Business school took away my pocket protector but graduated me
Sound Master for touring Rock & Roll shows 25 years
Currently responsible for all technology in 200 classrooms at research university
[FONT=&quot]Always loved flashlights[/FONT]

crankitup

Newly Enlightened
It has been said that a real man can never have too many knives, guns or flashlights....

me, I'm 49 and do financial planning

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think almost everyone has a flashlight. The $1 - $ 30 dollar type. But people who are really into flashlights ? I don't know of a specific type. Probably people who want to master the dark ! I like the function 1 st and the appearance of my lights 2nd. I don't collect them or buy the expensive titanium versions. I end up keeping my old lights as they are replaced with better performing ones. I work on cars.

Darvis

Enlightened
Middle aged consultant type, kids, wife, cats, fish, dog.

Urban dweller by necessity but would be a woods hermit if I could be. I have all the bad habits of an EDC addict; Flashlights, bags, gear, sharp things, things that propel things be it by string, air or gunpowder, motorcycles, Ham Radio, RC Helis, you name it.

Not broke, but getting there!!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Late 20s Specialized security contractor.
Always loved flashlights. Love to collect, admire the technology and styling. Fun to play with and luckily, a tool that I get to play with daily.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
33, Active Military, outdoorsman, caver, and while I don't think of my self as a survivalist (I prefer to think of myself as "self-reliant), I have been called that by others. Don't have alot of money, so, as another CPF'er on here says "I'm to poor to buy cheap"...hence all my Surefires...I take that philosophy into my other gear as well...all my stuff meats a good median, and will survive anything the Zombies (or Commies) can throw at it.

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
What professions do they normally do, how old are they, are they male or female?, do they have large sums of money? Oh and are any flashaholics bankers or finance people?

Probably going to be viewed as a sexist answer. But as a whole, males spend more money and time on toys(flashlights) than females do. I'm guessing on a 10 to 1 bases. This is just what I have seen.

Which brings me to the second answer. Which is knife people collect flashlights. Probably 99% of knife collectors are male too.