What lights do you have charged up and ready to go for Hurrican Sandy?

bxstylez

Enlightened
charged up all my batteries a couple of hours ago :lolsign:

DSC01493_resize.jpg

DSC01494_resize.jpg

Acro A3100 35W HID Rescue Light
Havis-Shields 35W HID 12V Corded Spotlight
Fire-Foxes FF3 40W HID Mini-Flashlight
Magic Scorpion 65W HID Flashlight

... as well as a couple of LED lights with multi-modes and plenty of 123 primaries and RCR123's

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
I've pretty charged up everything I own over the past few days. I've topped off all of my Li-Ion's and NiMH's sitting in my lights (Quarks, Maelstroms, Quark TurboX's, Quark Mini's, Preons, Surefire/Malkoffs, Surefire/Mag, Solarforce, Nitecore, Fenix etc) as well as all my spare Li-Ion's (a few 18650s, RCR123s, 17670s and 18500s) and NiMH's (a few dozen AA & AAA Eneloops, Duraloops, and older NiMH). If all that fails, I have my usual stockpile of a few hundred alkalines (mostly AA and AAA but some C's and D's too) and a few hundred AA & AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells too.

Last years freak Halloween snow storm gave me a pretty good idea about what lights to use when the power goes out. I keep an older Solarforce with that cool lantern head in the kitchen for general room lighting use. For room lighting I also use tailstandable Quarks and Fenix lights with diffuser tip. For lights that aren't tailstandable, I usually hang the light from a fixture using parachute cord. I keep small tailstandable lights like the Fenix E01, LD01 and Quark Preon and Minis set on low mode as hallway/bathroom lights. They can also be carried around by people for general use. Most have multiple modes so they can be cranked up and light up a room. I try to make sure that everyone has a headlamp light a dedicated Princeton Tec headlight or a Quark, Nitecore, or Fenix in an elastic headband by Nitecore or FourSevens. I usually reserve the high output single mode lights like Malkoff/Surefire and Malkoff/Mag lights for use when I'm on duty with the emergency squad during the storm. I always keep two or three spare lights and spare batteries in my cargo pants when I'm on duty too.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 & 14500, rcr123 LiON cells are in abundant supply, last time the power went out I could not tell initially because my battery operated LED lights are omnipresent around here! the place was lit as normal. the TV and computer were another story ...HEH HEH HEH my only lighting question is WHAT COLOR LED light do I want to "bask" in? soothing green? stunning blue?? a warming amber??or a alluring red??......time to order MORE drop ins for my EagleTacT20C2!!!

Pmbspyder

Newly Enlightened
streamlight pt 1aa, microstream, 4sevens tactical 2aa, and streamlight trl-1s ;)

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I am in western PA, and so far we are just getting a lot of rain and wind. I keep using my LD22 or PD32 to check the back yard for trees down. I just checked my basement again, and I am taking in water in an area that usually doesnt have much of a problem :scowl: I have all my 18650's and AA batteries charged, a couple of Black Diamond headlamps also. Hopefully it wil all be for practice and I wont need the lights.

lmorrison17

Newly Enlightened
Power is back.
But Sandy has exposed a hole in my lighting strategy, I have no AA lights.
I have been away from the addiction for a few years so I have some research to do on AA lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Zero lights charged up . . . In such a situation I rely on candles, my 4AA LED lantern, and inexpensive hand-held flashlights that run off of commonly available primaries. Along with my supply of batteries. Raiding half-dead or mostly dead batteries from remote controls and children's toys is just silly. (Even for non-flashaholics.)

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Power is back.
But Sandy has exposed a hole in my lighting strategy, I have no AA lights.
I have been away from the addiction for a few years so I have some research to do on AA lights.

Its probably a good idea to have lights that can take every kind of mainstream battery...

AA, AAA, C, D, cr123, cr2, button cell, 9V, block, etc. ..

I prefer single-cell as you dont know if you'll find two with the same charge, maybe only one.

ie.

AA - Quark Pro regular
AAA - Preon 1/2
C - Mag-Lite + Malkoff dropin
D - Mag-Lite + "" ""
CR123 - HDS Rotary, Surefire E
CR2 - Foursevens mini cr2
button cell - ???
9V - PALight
block - ???

Last edited:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
When they're back on the shelves, grab a cheap floating lantern from Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's Hardware, Ace, Home Depot, etc.

Are they any good? I've been steering clear of consumer equipment like that. No other reasonable options for lighting with a block battery?

I'd also like to see some 1xD and 1xC hosts/lights on the market. Closest option was the 2D Fenix offer, but I've had bad experience with Fenix in the past.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are out of power here in NY. Just outside of NYC. I have 48 AA. But I have to go thru my 18650s and 14500s first. Surefire Saint and my icon headlamp are the best things ever. Using a ping pong ball as a diffuser and lots of ceiking bounce. I have a battery vampire running off a D cell and I put the whole thing inside a lantern. Will post pics later.

jamesbeat

Newly Enlightened
Somehow we managed to get by without losing power, at least for now...
85% of Lipa customers weren't so lucky according to the news reports, so I'm very surprised that we still have power.
Since NY is an 'at will employment' state, I had no choice but to walk to work today. I saw quite a few downed trees and poles, and the traffic lights were out too.

I still have people coming in asking for D batteries :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are they any good? I've been steering clear of consumer equipment like that. No other reasonable options for lighting with a block battery?

Not really. They tend to toss out a **** poor beam. But if you need a light that will run off of those block batteries, that's your (ironically) best option.

As for a 1D or 1C light, if you want one bad enough, you'll have to get a custom-made one. Usually made from a cut-down M@glite.