What old light would you like to see remade/updated?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for a updated big head Kel-Lite 2C or 2D with a Cree XRE or Seoul P4 or even better a MOP metal reflector and bulb holder that could stand high output bulbs like ROP, potted WA 1274, potted WA1111. The 2C would be especial great with the upcoming C cell Li-Ion from AW.

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see the Inova X5 with some brighter LEDs. No spot, the flood is great, the thing I want is a longer throw flood light.

frogs3

Enlightened
I'm with Flying Turtle -- those original Arc's updated with Cree's would still have the essence of what an LED can do: pocketable, small, compact, always there.

-HAK

cy

Flashaholic
another vote for updating ARC LS and AA's.

they would be an excellent other product and would be ready for production much quicker than a completely new design.

frogs3 said:
I'm with Flying Turtle -- those original Arc's updated with Cree's would still have the essence of what an LED can do: pocketable, small, compact, always there.

-HAK

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about Eternalights? Have they been updated with the newest Nichia CS or equivalent?

Or a Cree update on the old Energizer Double Barrel flashlights. I always liked that form factor.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure the HDS really counts as an old light, but...

I'd like to see the HDS GT option maintained in the new Novatac line. My XRGT makes color rendition on every other light I own, LED or incan, look like a bad joke.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User said:
One of those little side by side 2xAA pocket torches with a slide switch on the side...maybe it could be updated to have two or three levels.

Is this the light you refer to?
http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/flashlight_view.cfm?item_number=DU00007

If so, I agree. In earlier incarnations it had an aluminum nut and bolt holding it together, rather than the plastic clips of this model.

This is an all time classic light that should be updated with a LED emitter.

Had a better beam than its main competitor the 2AA Mag, and was lighter and handier to carry and use. Not as robust as the Mag and not waterproof, but for years I preferred it to the Mag for backpacking use.

The 2AA side-by-side config can make for a superb light, but most manufacturers don't use it nowdays. UK makes one in incan, but they don't offer it in LED for some reason.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Those Durabeams were nice lights in their day. I've still got a couple around somewhere. Used to keep one in each car.

Geoff

aceo07

Enlightened
Nuwai 1watt headlamp. Amazing runtime and regulation and 3 levels. With a new seoul, the medium level would be as like the old high and run for 11 hours of pure regulation!

atm

Enlightened
It's not old, but I'd love to see an updated Gladius with one of the new gen LEDs. The UI is my favourite by a long way, but it's outclassed in terms of brightness and runtime by many lights now.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure one will be along in the next year or so, but a nice Cree based light in a poly 4xAA form factor with a soft clickie such as the UK eLED. But I'd want it to be just as dim as before, but with a lot longer runtime and hopefully more consistant LED tint.

I could also go for the original CMG Infinity and Infinity Ultras with SMJLED or THC3 LEDs installed and with a polished reflector.

I don't think I've ever owned a 2xAAA Maglite but my mother in law has one. I house-sit for them somewhat regularly and I have to admit, everytime I'm at their house, I play with the little thing. I never did get around to getting an SMJLED kit for one, but back when I did a lot more modding, I drilled out the reflectors and put sanded Nichia CS LEDs or sanded Peak Snow29 LEDs in them. But crazy bright, but usable and for some reason, nurses LOVE that 2xAAA form factor.

If they do update them to LED, I hope they don't make the light much longer and hopefully, they'll dim it down to a reasonable level where it puts out maybe 10 lumens and gets decent runtime.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Smoken Joe

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
But crazy bright, but usable and for some reason, nurses LOVE that 2xAAA form factor.

If they do update them to LED, I hope they don't make the light much longer and hopefully, they'll dim it down to a reasonable level where it puts out maybe 10 lumens and gets decent runtime.

Yup I would love one of the UK 2AAA that is just a little brighter.(Trauma Nurse)

True waterproof is a huge bonis. Just a little more light and a little more run time by using a under drived Cree perhaps. Just about any waterproof cree with dual AAA would be sweet even at very low amps.