What pants do you prefer for adventuring, questing, or even edw?

d88

Newly Enlightened
I wear a pair of fjallraven G-1000 trousers ( forget what type) generally for hill/mountain work and a pair of fjallraven Barents pro winter when the snow and ice arrives. Admittedly not the cheapest option ( I generally buy gear like this out of season or end of line to save a few bucks) but they've never let me down and despite both being over 4-5 years old, still look as near new as could be.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think after researching and looking at what you all have suggested, I'm going to get a few more pair of LA Police Gear pants. It will probably be around black friday before I do but I think for me those are the best bet. I'd love some Duluths but just can swing 50-75 bucks per pair while in school.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I hit the clearance rack at Marshalls about once a year.

It's a crap shoot what you get.
But my 'wardrobe' stays diverse. Right now I'm wearing tan Levis fire hose pants I got for like $12 a couple years ago.

Never see anything flannel lined though.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Marshalls, Ross and Rugged Warehouse (maybe others) sell close out apparel and some household items like blankets, and kitchen utensils.

Last years fashions show up there.

I've found stuff like a ($250) Rainforest Barn jacket (with zip out down liner) for like $75 or a knee length solid wool (detachable) hooded ($350) London Fog over coat for like $99...and a lot of my favorite 'specialty' cooking items like high end pepper grinders, mega sharp pizza cutters etc you pay a ton for in those expensive stores can be had at ridiculously low prices.

Think high end Big Lots...ya never know what's there from month to month, but that's the charm imo.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My company uses the 5.11 taclight pants, they are light weight, easy to move around in and dry pretty fast. I have used them for a few years. However I don't trust them in really thick brush (I have used them for hikes) or heavy duty use like construction.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marshalls, Ross and Rugged Warehouse (maybe others) sell close out apparel and some household items like blankets, and kitchen utensils.Last years fashions show up there. I've found stuff like a ($250) Rainforest Barn jacket (with zip out down liner) for like $75 or a knee length solid wool (detachable) hooded ($350) London Fog over coat for like $99...and a lot of my favorite 'specialty' cooking items like high end pepper grinders, mega sharp pizza cutters etc you pay a ton for in those expensive stores can be had at ridiculously low prices.Think high end Big Lots...ya never know what's there from month to month, but that's the charm imo.
Have to check them out and see what I can find!

Borad

Enlightened
I just spent a few hours repairing my Tru-spec ripstop BDUs. It split at the crotch seam and had a couple of almost-holes about 3/4" away from the seam which I pulled into the seam. I think I'll try nylon pants when these are beyond repair. Anyone like any nylon cargo pants?

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Propper Canvas Tactical/Cargo Pants... These thicker/heavier style Propper pants run about $40 and are more suited for fall/winter/early spring temperatures... I really like these pants, I'm glad I found them a few years ago... They are liquid/stain resistant and very durable... I love that there is an extra little magazine-type pocket on the left hand side of the pants as I am left-handed and that pocket is a perfect place for my pocket knives to go... I have about 4 pairs of the heavier Propper pants (black & navy colors) and 3 pairs of the lightweight style of the same pants (coyote tan and black colors)

I like to carry a good amount of things on my person when I'm out and about (wallet, keys, cell phone, pocket knife, flashlight, lighter)... Wearing jeans just doesn't cut it for me anymore... I don't trust keeping anything in the rear pockets (especially not my wallet), and the front pockets cannot accomodate all the items I wish to carry on me... So Propper/Cargo pants it is...

5dfuD4X.jpg

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bergans with dermizax. Keeps me dry and warm, year after year after year. Not cheap. In winter, well i dont adventure mutch in winter, too mutch snow, and too cold to go skiing up hiils. And the last time i went skiing, my front thooth broke in half when going downhill :( ...

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a pair of Prana Zion convertible pants- they are amazing! Fits me true to size, lightweight, stretchy material. Only trade off with the convertible pants is the zipper hits me just below the knee (perfect for when they are shorts) but when I squat down that part doesn't slide as smoothly up over the knee. If they would make the Zions (non convertible) with dual cargo pockets, that would be my ideal pant.

Bard Light

Newly Enlightened
I have a few pair of LA Police Gear Operator pants with the elastic waistband. I love the size of the cargo pockets; I can literally fit my 8" tablet in them!!! :D

They have held up very well to the abuse I have put them through; the ripstop material is much stronger than I anticipated! I am probably getting close to retiring a pair, but I have definitely got my money's worth out of them. I'll be ordering more for sure.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
My work issues the 5.11 tac lite pro pants, (coyote) they are very comfortable and light. I have also used them on hikes, they are easy to move around in and the material is good quality. The color does fade a bit after a bunch of washes but you have to compare them to new pants to really tell.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
My work issues the 5.11 tac lite pro pants, (coyote) they are very comfortable and light. I have also used them on hikes, they are easy to move around in and the material is good quality. The color does fade a bit after a bunch of washes but you have to compare them to new pants to really tell.
That's a major issue I've found. Also keeping ar mags in the pockets when they have the sleeves don't tend to last.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few pair of LA Police Gear Operator pants with the elastic waistband. I love the size of the cargo pockets; I can literally fit my 8" tablet in them!!! :D

They have held up very well to the abuse I have put them through; the ripstop material is much stronger than I anticipated! I am probably getting close to retiring a pair, but I have definitely got my money's worth out of them. I'll be ordering more for sure.
I love my LA police gear pants, they have held up well.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got two pairs of the costco equivalent to the pranas, they are noisier, quality is not like prana but they are light, dry fast and the thigh pocket is higher up so that I can unzip it without bending down.

I interchange them with the prana, they are great pants for the price. I still am waiting for my ideal pant, which would be the prana Zion's with dual thigh pockets. I would forgo the zip off feature in a heartbeat.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not tried that brand- it looks similar to the 5.11, which I get issued to me at work.

I used the 5.11 for hiking and casual wear, but find the Prana to be lighter and don't have the heat build up as much as the 5.11 (tac lite pro)