What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: G2X arrived yesterday and Fenix E12 about a week ago.

I never really realized it in pictures but the color of the head on the G2X Pro in yellow is a different one than that of the polymer body/tailcap. Why did they not color-match those 3 parts? I tried to make it show-up on the foto but its hard to see. Doesn't really matter, but still weird. Tint is a bit yellow/greenish on the Surefire, but for its application perfectly serviceable and only noticeable on low. This is actually the first time I've gotten unlucky with Surefires in regards to tint. Very happy with the E12s tint tho, very white.

GAtY4.jpg

GAtYp.jpg

nitebrite

Enlightened
I have an old G2. It puts out like a whopping 50 lumens lol. Olumin I hope I did not upset you in the PM. I am not a rich jerk. Yes, I have money but I am very humble. I am just guessing that is what irked you. I commend your profession. I am terrible with small parts. That said, even my old green g2 does not match. Many of my green metal HAIII do not match. I mean from SF. Interestingly the black ones match fine. So does the original Titan. I want that new 1200 lumen E2D. If I see that locally I will grab it.

I just edited my Dominator/RT70 post. I mentioned I got the Astrolux MF05. That might be special? It is huge. I have it on a tripod. Just to see what is going on from my cabin. Honestly a light that large you might as well just have have a 120VAC light. I just got it because I am a Flashaholic. No other reason. I can't really take pics at the moment. I have pro camera equipment setup in a studio and I have to take down a body. My phone needs a new battery. I keep meaning to get it but always busy.

I hope you guy's don't think I am a pest. I am just chatty. I will get the idea if y'all are ignoring me. I mean no harm though.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old G2. It puts out like a whopping 50 lumens lol. Olumin I hope I did not upset you in the PM. I am not a rich jerk. Yes, I have money but I am very humble. I am just guessing that is what irked you. I commend your profession. I am terrible with small parts. That said, even my old green g2 does not match. Many of my green metal HAIII do not match. I mean from SF. Interestingly the black ones match fine. So does the original Titan. I want that new 1200 lumen E2D. If I see that locally I will grab it.

I just edited my Dominator/RT70 post. I mentioned I got the Astrolux MF05. That might be special? It is huge. I have it on a tripod. Just to see what is going on from my cabin. Honestly a light that large you might as well just have have a 120VAC light. I just got it because I am a Flashaholic. No other reason. I can't really take pics at the moment. I have pro camera equipment setup in a studio and I have to take down a body. My phone needs a new battery. I keep meaning to get it but always busy.

I hope you guy's don't think I am a pest. I am just chatty. I will get the idea if y'all are ignoring me. I mean no harm though.

I don't think anyone here is purposefully ignoring you. I also was not offended; how did you get that idea? Just sharing my views since that's what a forum is for. Don't get the idea that I am avoiding you or have anything against you personally, since I don't even really know you. If you are passionate about flashlights, no matter what your preferences might be, then that's all that matters. I wont judge anyone solely on what lights they decide to buy of what kind of watch they wear.

nitebrite

Enlightened
It's not you. I always think I said something wrong. Anyways, back on topic. I really like to see pics of stuff I don't know.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
nitebrite said:
As you pointed out jon, mine are really all the same thing.
that was not me

nitebrite said:
I just got into big throwers.

4 years ago:

10-03-2016 Re: Surefire Dominator OR Acebean K70?

nitebrite said:
The Acebeam is not in the class of the UDX either. $189 Vs. $1,370.

last month:

09-21-2020
nitebrite said:
The Imalent RT70 Vs. The SF UDR?

I personally am not comfortable with $190 of Chinese replacing $1370.00 of American.
enjoy your lights :)

nitebrite

Enlightened
I don't really follow that. I think you are saying I contradict myself. Indeed, I obviously do :)
To be honest I have so many flashlights I cannot possibly keep track of them all. If I reinvented something I did 4 years ago it is no marvel :)

I think when I said all the same thing it was in relation to the 3x smd/LED with h17 in a pretty case. If that was not you my apologies. It was in relation to another thread.

However, you were correct in your saying I am into throwers then based off the info I provided. I actually do like throwers but they maybe comprise 10% of my collection.

Overall, I make mistakes!

Jaxon

Newly Enlightened
The last light I purchased Is a Surefire e1bmv,I got it because I broke my last light by dropping it on concrete.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Well jon, I guess you talked me into throwers or something. I am just joking buddy.

I just got a niwalker bk-lr7sv1. This looks to be an outstanding light. It is not huge and the actual specs are very promising. It does not have a step down unlike almost every other light. It manages heat incredibly. This is a real good thrower. Some throw much further but are huge. Others are much smaller but don't really throw. This is where I am comfortable. Plus it is very well made. You don't really need my pics. If you want to see go look on Google. I got the last one on Amazon cheap. Elsewhere they want 200 bucks without batteries. I paid half that. It is still worth it.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I know you are joking but wrong diagnoses. "voices" is Schizophrenia lol. You would be a lot better off with just OCD :)

I do not mean to be a jerk but this Niwalker really impresses me. I could put the UDR Dominator in the trash bin now haha. If people wonder why I always bring up that light. It is the benchmark for throwers. No, it is not going anywhere.

Over the last couple weeks I've picked up a box of Luxpro PL130 lights, a Lumintop EDC01 and a Streamlight Nano. Lower end lights but I've been looking for a small, reliable light with good runtime for a series of wilderness PSKs I'm putting together. A lot of folks will point out that a light is not strictly necessary for survival but it sure adds an element of safety. I would like an AAA light as the batteries are easy to find and you have about 1250 mAh vs the 650 mAh of a stack of coin batteries like you have in the PL130 and Nano lights, but it's tough to find the right blend of run time and compactness in an AAA light. So many manufacturers are trying to get max lumens instead of good battery life.

The Luxpro PL130 is actually really impressing me! Normally I view the slide-focus "feature" as a useless gimmick but with the PL130 it works very well. The flood puts out a great spread of light to illuminate and area while the spot gives pretty good range. The color/tint is atrocious but that's irrelevant for a light that will be used to keep from falling off a cliff or lighting the path from the latrine back to camp. I greatly prefer the tailcap switch to the rotary switch of most very small lights. While the latter has the advantage of being simple and reliable it can be hard to activate, especially with the Nano where the light is tiny that it's very tough to manipulate with one hand. There's also the issue of the head sometimes falling off, not good if it's your only light in the darkness!

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop FW3 modded by Vinh Nguyen with Quad W2's for 3750 lumen and 44,000 cd (420 m throw). skylumen.com
At turbo, it's just a show piece to WOW muggles as it will overheat, but that's its purpose in my case and it does ramp for actual use.
I was inspired to get it after impressing some muggles around the fire pit last night with another of Vinh's mod of an Emisar D4. The FW3vn has 30% more light and throw in an even smaller light!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
Now I am getting a Vinh Acebeam T27. I am going to place my order right after I type this. I think that will be the ultimate size Vs. throw light yet in my collection.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
332 rated lumens, 2AA black Maglite Mini-Mag Pro LED.
Always loved the form factor. And truth is, all my other Mini-Mags are packed away in storage. Couldn't find them. I will if I look hard enough. Cost me about $26.oo at Ace Hardware. Got the last one on the rack. I have one or two of the slightly older ones rated at 242 lumens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just ordered a spectrum warm minimag the other day Mono. I'm not expecting it'll light a Wal Mart sized warehouse, just a more modern incan looking version. I also have a "luxeon Rebel" version on the way to see what I missed in the early minimag does LED days. I like how Pentagon and Pelican used those so I'm curious to see how Tony fine tuned the minimag around it.

The 332 one is definitely bright. Big ole bright conical beam with a lot of spill. My local WalMart had 3 left in polished silver. They had green ones when it first came out so I grabbed both they had and pair one with a green 3D with a Malkoff in it.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shopping spree!

I gave my Sofirn C01R to my Son, to relieve back pain, and another to my daughter to relieve Migraines. So I ordered another one for myself. Im really getting a lot of benefits from Red Light Therapy.
gBD4PcJl.jpg

I sold a Cu AAA Tool modded to Nichia E21a 3500k to a good friend, so I ordered another one
rKTKYzil.png

I gave a Cu AA Tool modded to N219b 4500k to a good friend, so I ordered another one
TqwAnUAl.jpg

Today two lights showed up from Amazon! One is an Olight I5T EOS, an AA light with two output levels, and the other an Olight I1R2 EOS, a rechargeable microlight with two output levels. Both were Prime Day purchases and the prices were too good to pass up ($22 and $11 respectively). I've played with them a bit but obviously haven't thoroughly tested them but I'm impressed. I noticed that off all my lights I only had one that uses 1 x AA so that was something I kind of wanted to work on. And while I'm not a big fan of rechargeables the little Olight was cheap and seemed like a cool toy. The way it charges is pretty cool, you unscrew the back half a ways and it extends back to reveal a micro-USB port, and it's probably at least splashproof when closed. It's pretty bright some something half the size of an AA battery! Run time on high is only listed as 15 minutes but that's not a big deal IMO. First I probably wouldn't use it for long at a shot, just long enough to find a key or open a lock. And when it does die you just pop it back on the USB charger.