What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Urrrr ok, don't laugh, wait for it ............. deep breath ......... inova x5 red beam. always always wanted one, found it cheap, I do find red beams useful and I need more of these.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
Urrrr ok, don't laugh, wait for it ............. deep breath ......... inova x5 red beam. always always wanted one, found it cheap, I do find red beams useful and I need more of these.

I have quite a few X5's, white, blue, UV, etc but no red. They are a well made light and in there time, there was not much better.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two x 5s at the moment one for each car. Theve been very handy in the past. A simple tough light is a must in any car. It was a no brainer when I saw it for sale.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a uv on the way now............ thanks bug dozer.

Also a xo3.
I do like inovas bomb proof build, simplicity, and second hand prices !

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laugh at an L5? Heck, that's nuthin'. I just bought a Surefire Stratum. Yup, a Stratum. Probably one of the shortest lived, least loved of all Surefires in the last, what, 10 years? I dunno. It always seemed, on specs and from reviews, to be a pretty darn practical car/cabin/storm light. But not at SF's asking price. Which, of course, I did not pay. I like my AZ2, and liked my U2. I like the K2TFFC, and don't need 400+ lumens in every light. So, I suspect I will be pretty pleased with the Stratum. And it will beat trying to rescue my wife from ZebraLight UI Hell when she grabs one of my lights and ...WTF????

An out of production FourSevens Stealth Black Preon Pen light. Aptly named. It took months to find.

Why? Because I didn't have one. Seems I'm a bit of a FourSevens FanBoy. :p

~ Chance

EnU5iMl.jpg

Photo Credit - GPKNIVES

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore Tip Christmas edition, for its size and the great deal I got. Its pretty cool to have as a backup to my backup.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Thrunite TH20 headlamp. It arrives today. I was looking for a reasonably priced headlamp that is waterproof, solid and runs on a single AA. Also, 520 lumens with a 14500 is a bonus.

Thrunite TN12 purchased 3 weeks ago. Used as a primary hiking, camping and general purpose light. Or, as a backup to the headlamp. I was attracted by the brightness, NW, long runtime at lower levels, moonlight mode, construction, and price.

Now, I'm looking at te TN4A for throw and a great price. I want to standardize most of my items at home to AA.

I don't consider myself a brand loyalist but Thrunite seems to produce exactly what I want at a price I'm happy to pay.

pralfred

Newly Enlightened
The last LED light I purchased was an InterNova Yeti 800, which I use for camping. It is powered off of 4x "D" cell batteries, provides a varying lumen output up to 800, and is small enough to keep packed in the sidecar of my motorcycle for my regular road trips and camping adventures. It also doesn't hurt that because I've bought from InterNova before, when they released this model I was contacted and offered the LED lantern for $0.99, and I felt I really couldn't lose out; if it was crap (which I doubted) then it was only a dollar, and if it was actually pretty good then I came out a winner. I am certain that there are other lanterns that are smaller/better/brighter, but I'm still learning about all that and for now I'm happy with my newest piece of camping gear.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last light I bought was a Lumintop Tool Ti. I have been into smaller lights, and was curious about it. Plus, I don't have a small light that tail stand.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
SureFire E2D LED Defender Ultra.

Decided to get it, or the EB2 LED Ultra as a Birthday gift for myself. Wasn't sure which one. Had to wait a bit before I could go check them out in person at what is one of the last remaining Authorized Dealers in Manhattan. Huge SF display.... is what they used to have. I get there, and the display is gone, the lights are gone, and when I ask a senior sales associate about that; he dances around the issue. Saying they concentrate on Fenix lights now since not everyone needs a tank of a light.

Yeah.... Hadn't been there in about a year or so. Even by Manhattan standards the place is ridiculously overpriced. Not sure how they lost their A.D. status, but I really doubt they lost it for the reason most SF A.D.s do. Namely getting caught discounting.

Thankfully, they did have a handful left. The E2D Ultra being one of them. Now while I like my EB1, the EB2 Ultra is going to be just as slippery. Plus, its tailcap annoyingly sticks up above the clip far more than on the EB1 or the E2D Ultra. I got that E2D Ultra in my hands, and I just knew it was going home with me. Rip-off prices and all. Screw it! I can afford it. Plus, I got to examine the one in the box since they no longer had display models in the cases. The clip, while still a weak point, looked very good on my sample.

I now have each generation of SF E2Ds, including the single-output "error" head version. Except for the very first one with the outward dome lens. Also, the teeth on the Ultra are still useable, but far less aggressive than on earlier models. Somehow I ended up with a sub-collection of E2Ds. Oh well.

And yes, the light is fantastic! No clue how SureFire tweaked the clicky switch not to fry itself with 500 real lumens coming out of the thing. But okay, no issues. And yes, I LOVE that cheese-grater checkering!! These newer smooth as Hell models.... Nice for perhaps giving a baby a massage I suppose. But that's about it. Oh, I guess some complained that the older E-series lights were tearing apart their pants pockets. Honestly, if that's the case.... Stop buying cheap-*** pants! Problem solved.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam H20vn headlamp from Vinhnguyen54. Lightweight, perfect neutral tint, perfect UI, perfect moonlight and bright!

Also a Nitecore ThumbVN to hang around my neck & shine outward. To be used for fly fishing at dusk, to tie flash onto thin tipets. Also from Vinhnguyen54.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Olight M3XS-UT Javelot. The reason is I needed a quality light with throw. It does pretty well with 12 volts.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
SureFire E2D LED Defender Ultra.Had to wait a bit before I could go check them out in person at what is one of the last remaining Authorized Dealers in Manhattan. Huge SF display.... is what they used to have.
Was that Paragon by Union Square? Only retailer in NYC where I've noticed decent lights stocked, although I'm sure there's a few others that serve LEO's and such.

Last light I ordered was a DQG Tiny SS 10440, because I like little 1xAAA and smaller Keychain lights, and wanted to compare it to the Ultratac K18 SS and Olight i3S EOS CU raw brass I recently bought.

salty141

Newly Enlightened
My latest was a Tain Azco. I really like the size of a singe 123, and trits are neat.