What was the last LED light you purchased and why?

AKBearbit

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA … why?

It's a long story.

I live in Alaska but spend winters these days in Arizona. All my adult life I had nothing but big Maglites, which I used every day in the winter in Alaska, but with 18-24 hours of daylight in the summer, not so much.

One summer day, in Prescott Arizona I was on a hike with my wife and some friends when I stepped on a flashlight … a Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. Some poor soul must've dropped it and I was fortunate to find it. It was simi-buried in mud, and didn't turn on at first try, so I wiped it down, stored it in my pocket and continued the hike.

When I got home I opened it up, removed the battery and cleaned it up the best I could. Popped in a new battery and it worked! But, I didn't try it outside in the dark until I got back to Alaska, and only months later in the fall when we got our night time back.

So, the first time I took my dog out in the early morning dark I turned on the mighty little ProTac instead of my massive MagLite and dang, what a huge difference. I needed a light since the bears weren't yet in hibernation and the owls were just beginning to hunt (my dog weighs 10 pounds and is definitely bait for some of the wildlife in my slice of Alaska). I couldn't believe the difference. This very small flashlight illuminated the area significantly better than the 3-D Maglite I kept at the back door for my dog walks.

A few months later, after walking my dog with my trusty Streamlight I stored it in my pants pocket (something I'd never do with the MagLite) and went upstairs to do my customary web browsing for weather, news and sports.

Suddenly, the 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck, the power immediately went out and I was thrown to the floor with my doggy in my arms. Glass was breaking all around me, pictures were jumping off the walls, the pantry was dumping all it's contents on the floor and because it was still dark, and the power was out, all I could do was sit on the floor and wait for it to end.

When it finally ended and it was still pitch black inside and out I realized I still had my flashlight in my pocket and with it I could look around to see where it was safe to walk in my bare feet. I put the dog in her kennel and carefully walked to the door with my torch to go connect the generator and get some light (and much needed heat) back to the house. All day I spent cleaning up the mess, filling a contractor bag half full of broken glass, broken dinnerware and broken and scattered pantry items.

Maybe it's PTSD, but that was November 2018 and I've had that trusty little touch in my pocket ever since, using it daily for everything a flashlight is useful for. Until last week, when it disappeared. I didn't want to be a day without it, so I ordered another one, and the day it arrived I found my original one stuck between cushions in the couch.

So, now I have two, plus the 3 other Stereamlight products I've ordered over the years (ProTac HPL USB X 2, ProTac HL USB Headlamp) given my tendency to be brand loyal.

So to answer the question in the OP, I now have a brand new StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA backup to my found on the trail, earthquake survivor torch.

RamBull

Newly Enlightened
Great story man and thank you for sharing. As for your questions, I purchased a six of flashlights the last few two days.

I purchased Bob_McBob modes Zebralight SC64c LE Nichia 219B R9080 sw35 and sw45. I've been looking for the best combination of high CRI LED, body and builder. I couldn't choose which one so I went both.

With my other four I went Sky Lumen Vinh mod. Three favoring CRI: FW3Gvn Green GITD 219B Nichia in sw30 and sw35; and the K9.3vn 219b Nichia sw30 with secondary SST-20 Deep Red LED. The last one I went with one of dreams the Lumintop BLF GT94vn with Vinh Driver 4x SBT90.2. Probably the biggest flashlight I will get unless I go for the Mateminco MT90vn+ but maybe next year or generation.

I went with these because a majority of my flashlights are throwers. I went with quality lights because I want to give them to my son one day. We play a lot with flashlights at night and being a nurse on an Oncology floor I've grown to realize life is really short and happy memories are invaluable.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've grown to realize life is really short and happy memories are invaluable.

Big 10-4 on that part. I don't even know what any of that other stuff is, but the last part is all that matters!

Edit: And BTW, yeah, that was a great story AK!

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased the Energizer Hardcase 1xAA angle head task light. It's a simple single-mode light that's plenty bright and floody for close work even when your eyes are already accustomed to day time light levels. The clip is too strong to use with one hand, but will certainly hold the light securely once attached. The clip can be rotated around the light body and has magnets in it, so with 2 degrees of freedom (plus the 90 degree angled head), you can aim light in any direction from where you've stuck the light. As an easy to use, relatively indestructible yet inexpensive work light, I definitely recommend it.

In the same order, I also purchased an Energizer 1xAA Vision flashlight. It has high and low modes (130L and 25L respectively) but you have to power cycle the light to change modes, so I mostly just use it on high. For $12, Energizer has a real winner with this one. It feels good in your hand, the 2-way clip works but can be removed if you don't want it (I removed it...), and it's anti-roll even with the clip removed. The only thing they missed is that it won't tail-stand (or at least mine won't...it's close, but not close enough).

Anyways, 2 lights from Energizer that are both around $12 and are easy to use and work well.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered some Thrunite Ti3 AAA lights yesterday
because I like to mod them to share with muggles
rv6s9Jcl.jpg

and today I ordered a Cu FWAA w SST-20 4000k and Sapphire lens
because it is small... smaller than my Cu Tool
Im a fan of Copper, and curious to own my first Anduril light
T0qzweT.jpg

oh, and, I just won the bid on this Ti Tool AAA w Nichia 219b 4000k..
because the LED and MLH UI are personal favorites:
b4wD2kAl.jpg

Last edited:

Splitrail

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA … why?

It's a long story.

Maybe it's PTSD, but that was November 2018 and I've had that trusty little touch in my pocket ever since, using it daily for everything a flashlight is useful for. Until last week, when it disappeared. I didn't want to be a day without it, so I ordered another one, and the day it arrived I found my original one stuck between cushions in the couch.

So, now I have two, plus the 3 other Stereamlight products I've ordered over the years (ProTac HPL USB X 2, ProTac HL USB Headlamp) given my tendency to be brand loyal.

So to answer the question in the OP, I now have a brand new StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA backup to my found on the trail, earthquake survivor torch.
Great story, thanks.
You can NEVER have enough flashlights!
Welcome from Prescott!

Vemice

Enlightened
A buncha Peak Eiger 10180 Mules (mostly) in brass and SS just cause they're cute

iLlBqUjl.jpg

ZPHSBvTl.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
this just in:
Original AAA Lumintop TiTool, because I Like the MLH mode sequence.
LED changed to 219B 3500k 9080:

Zbr0k30l.jpg

and a handful of AAA Thrunite Ti3 V2
because I like them as hosts for LED and reflector to TiR swaps
qMqBnOMl.jpg

Last edited:

jmclfrsh

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Stiletto Pro. 1000 lumens in a slim body.

Why? To make it easier to carry a good flashlight more times of the day or night.

I can carry it in a cargo pocket of my Duluth pants or in the chest pocket of my Carhartt or Duluth bibs without a huge bulge sticking out or making them tighter like a cylindrical flashlight does.

It makes it handy to keep from stepping in dog or raccoon poop as I walk between buildings here on the farm at night, which is a great thing, believe me!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered a tan convoy s2+ with 5k sst-20 at ~1.4A and smooth reflector. Also bought for it an 18350 tube and a 5 pack of various optics to try. Just to try one.
Also bought a mag xl50lx 3c as a work light on the company card. May keep that for myself though and use a personal light as a truck light. Depending on how much I like it. I have a soft spot for 2-3 c cell sized lights

UFO

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 1L-1AA.

I was looking for a single cell CR-123A light that was as close to 5" OAL as I could get. The Streamlight is 4.2" OAL so I figured that was close enough. I'm glad I bought it.

It's well made, is 350L on High (according to Streamlight) which is plenty bright for my needs. I also like the color (Coyote) and the fact that it can also run on a single AA battery, albeit with about 150L.

I'll probably buy a few more.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Minimus and Maximus… had to get them. I have had and used the 100 Lumen Saint Minimus version and loved it. The new one really called to me so I answered the call. The Maximus was an impulse buy and I added it when I bought the Minimus.

3_gun

Enlightened
A Sofirn D25S headlight w/battery & claimed output of 1200L for under $17. Why the heck not

RamBull

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up Hank's D18 with Nichia 219b sw35D200R9080 and D4v2 mule with mixed E21A 2000/5000k.

I really enjoy the sw35 emitter and wanted a nice warm flood so I went the D18. I originally wanted the rosy sw45k mule, but Hank could only do 8 emitters, so I opted for an alternative rosy mix.

I'm really want to get another sw45k emitter, but not torn on which will be the best host: DT8, D4Sv2 or get another D18.

ckeilah

Newly Enlightened
Just another beer can flashlight: Imalent MS06W to give a little more light than the Nightcore TM06S I've been using for years. I'm not happy that the batteries won't fit in my 16550 charger, so I'm forced to charge with the USB C plug, but it's a decent enough light. If they were just put a focusing ring on the front to allow me to put ALL of that light into a single narrow beam, it would be perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another beer can flashlight: Imalent MS06W to give a little more light than the Nightcore TM06S I've been using for years. I'm not happy that the batteries won't fit in my 16550 charger, so I'm forced to charge with the USB C plug, but it's a decent enough light. If they were just put a focusing ring on the front to allow me to put ALL of that light into a single narrow beam, it would be perfect!

20,000 lumens from a single, small, high throw emitter is not yet possible, but there are power throwers that use multiple small die emitters to get power and throw both at the same time. I like large size power throwers. They have a lot more performance than medium size power throwers.

My large size power thrower collection: Two X65 (5 x XHP35), R90TS (18 x XHP35), two GT94 (4 x SBT90.2), Emisar D18 (18 x W2), two HK90 (3 x SBT90.2).

My lights.