What watch you're wearing?

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Eco-zilla
IMG_3916.jpeg

TPA

Enlightened
I have an Orient Mako with deep blue face. Sadly, in the hurricane shuffle I've misplaced it. I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

I normally don't wear a watch. I set the time in my mind when I first wake up, check it again after getting ready (drift calibration), and I'm usually accurate +/- 30 seconds for the next 6-8 hours. If I can see a clock during that time period, it keeps extending. Too much time spent in broadcasting.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I still had my original TI LED quartz, circa ~1975-77. I'd proudly post a photo of it on my wrist right now if I still had it. The chip came from the floor above the area I'd worked in just a year or so prior (yes, in TX). It was a bit of a milestone piece. Accurate digital wrist tech for the common man, and back when we actually made cool stuff in my country, and had the people who knew how to do it, and wanted to do it. I'm still one, but it's gettin' pretty lonely these days.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wish I still had my original TI LED quartz, circa ~1975-77. I'd proudly post a photo of it on my wrist right now if I still had it. The chip came from the floor above the area I'd worked in just a year or so prior (yes, in TX). It was a bit of a milestone piece. Accurate digital wrist tech for the common man, and back when we actually made cool stuff in my country, and had the people who knew how to do it, and wanted to do it. I'm still one, but it's gettin' pretty lonely these days.
The Texas Instruments watch was HUGE!!!!! in the 1970's.

The Texas Instruments watch was HUGE!!!!! in the 1970's.
You know that "I've-just-seen-a-ghost" shock you get when you've been jolted back 50 years to a memory you haven't had since? Yeah, I just had one of those! This watch (or likely it's cheaper descendants) was popular when I was in grade school, and it was the only watch that anyone seemed to have if they had a watch at all. IIRC, one needed to press the button to show the time as battery and LED tech was not yet up to maintaining a constant "on" for the watch without quickly running it dry. (Probably similar to the illuminator light on a present-day Casio.) Speaking of Casio, I think my first watch (as I was never bequeathed a TI) was the metal version of the current Casio A158.

Thanks for the tip
View attachment 58842
Soon there'll be a Gruen on my wrist
One of the first (if not THE first) James Bond watches was a Gruen. It was not issued to him by Q Section and was simply seen on his wrist at one point. It is unknown who decided on that watch, but general consensus is that Connery simply wore one of his personal watches to the shoot.

Daylight Savings time tonight/tomorrow morning for most of us. I'm feeling glad that the majority of my watches are either automatic or manual (i.e. they're stopped) or else are "Multiband 6" G-Shocks hooked into the atomic clock. All the wall clocks on the other hand...

I think the country named on the back cover might only be where the watch was assembled, because I'm almost certain that all Casios are engineered in Japan. But each of my G-Shocks says (in descending order) Japan, Thailand, or China. Most of mine are Thailand. The JDM models say Japan - big surprise. The least expensive say China. I think that all of the Casios that are not G-shocks say China.