What watch you're wearing?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Glad to see some watch history being bantied about.

The Bond Gruen was the Precision 510 17J (17 jewel) with a cloth band.
IMG_3929.jpeg

I've started a stretch band collection I call "the 1970's square dads" collection.
IMG_3926.jpeg

- Left is 1960's Elgin Sportsmans (with Duchess bands)
- Center is a 1960's Helbros Invincible (with orginal Speidel band). It's a restoration project watch.
- Right is modern Timex easy reader throwbacks.
The far right one is similar to a Seiko on my list.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. That MST time zone is the best area to receive signal. The towers are in Colorado so depending where you are exactly you could have a strong signal. You can manually shut off receiving mode as well View attachment 58893

I think my post on this was the second of 2 very poorly-worded ones I posted yesterday, so just to clarify what I intended to / should have stated / asked in case I caused confusion.
I live in AZ, practically all of which is MST, year-round. No DST at all.

I'm familiar w/WWV, and if I had a watch w/RF receiver, I would definitely appreciate the periodic synchronization. My question is simply whether the watch would also be set to entirely the wrong time, MDT when it syncs. If the watch doesn't know its location, I fear it might do just that, as be incorrectly offset by 1 hour every time it syncs. I imagine I could disable the sync feature in the watch, but of course that would nullify the whole advantage of having the feature, and my whole question. If such watches have the ability to configure some offset / correction value or 'DST' flag which could be toggled for use in such locations, that would solve the issue, if it existed.

So, would such a watch work in AZ if configured correctly?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotcha. All you do is set your home time and it will just sync to the correct time. No matter where you're located, you have to set your home time. DST won't be affected depending on location.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Center is a 1960's Helbros Invincible (with orginal Speidel band).

Cool, more 'time travel'! ;-)

You've shown me an image of my first digital watch, and now my first real analog watch, all in one weekend!. Cool!! Thank you!

I believe that Helbros is an exact copy of my first(?) watch (that I can remember) from the 60s, which I wore for many years as a 'kid'. And yeah, it either came stock with a 'Twist-O-Flex', or if it came with a horrid 'scissor' band that was replaced w/ a Spiedel, 'cause that's what mine had. No 'scissor band' chewing on my arm and pulling hairs out for me.

The 'time machine' feature this site has is great:)

I gotcha. All you do is set your home time and it will just sync to the correct time. No matter where you're located, you have to set your home time. DST won't be affected depending on location.
Not to throw a wrench into this machine, Bro, but my Multibands have an on/off feature for DST. I keep it "on" and it "Springs ahead and Falls back" appropriately. Have I been wrong to think that turning DST to "off" would make it ignore DST as would be appropriate for AZ and HI?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to throw a wrench into this machine, Bro, but my Multibands have an on/off feature for DST. I keep it "on" and it "Springs ahead and Falls back" appropriately. Have I been wrong to think that turning DST to "off" would make it ignore DST as would be appropriate for AZ and HI?
Haha honestly I have no idea. From my experience I would "think" the DST auto function would depend on the location and automatically adjust. It's been a while since I set mine up. I don't live in those areas so I have no experience on trying each feature, no matter what the circumstances are, he can try it and see what happens. I never heard anyone saying it won't work in those areas over the years I've researched and wore G shocks

Edit: Nevermind I made a mistake. I believe you are correct for on/off for DST. Auto is for MB6

So he would set MB6 to auto and then turn DST off and he should be good

I assume that MB6 set to auto would overpower if DST is on or off depending on location but I'm not sure

Last edited:
Haha honestly I have no idea. From my experience I would "think" the DST auto function would depend on the location and automatically adjust. It's been a while since I set mine up. I don't live in those areas so I have no experience on trying each feature, no matter what the circumstances are, he can try it and see what happens. I never heard anyone saying it won't work in those areas over the years I've researched and wore G shocks

Edit: Nevermind I made a mistake. I believe you are correct for on/off for DST. Auto is for MB6

So he would set MB6 to auto and then turn DST off and he should be good

I assume that MB6 set to auto would overpower if DST is on or off depending on location but I'm not sure
LOL! It's not insurmountable even if one must succumb to reading instructions! :LOL: I'd probably just wait 6 months and see if it works. Instructions are for wimps! BTW, is that a titanium pry bar from CC in your avatar?

Thought I'd toss this one into the online fray. It comes with a nice leather strap, but I think it looks great with the Crown and Buckle NATO. Looks like a "poor man's Rolex" somewhat with the cyclops. The movement was a bear to regulate having been designed without a fine-tuning screw, but I got it into an OCD-friendly range.

20240310_191343.jpg

Haha yeah it is. I have a few, by far one of the best tools I've bought for $10. Hides in the pocket and comes in super handy. Highly recommend.
Not that I say this too often, but my cargo pants weigh 8 pounds. :oops: I wear Tru-Spec 24/7's with about 16 pockets of various sizes with all my EDC tools (including the CC pry bar) and a Klik Belt with 2 lights, cell phone and a Glock and spare mag.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering if I should buy a watch with "MB6" for the time sync feature (which I would like to have) or if there would be a issue w/ DST negating that advantage if I did. This is a pro-active question for an advance purchase decision. I have no instructions to read, but I'm sure I can find some on the net. I guess I was being lazy not doing a 'search', but I prefer R(eal)I to AI when I can get it. However although I'm guilty of being lazy today, I'm not guilty of being silly. I absolutely DO read instructions, and I say that with some pride and with good reason:) I don't 'know everything', but I want to after I buy something. At least I know what it's called now (MB6?), and what to search for, so that's more than I knew yesterday. Thanks!

I was just wondering if I should buy a watch with "MB6" for the time sync feature (which I would like to have) or if there would be a issue w/ DST negating that advantage if I did. This is a pro-active question for an advance purchase decision. I have no instructions to read, but I'm sure I can find some on the net. I guess I was being lazy not doing a 'search', but I prefer R(eal)I to AI when I can get it. However although I'm guilty of being lazy today, I'm not guilty of being silly. I absolutely DO read instructions, and I say that with some pride and with good reason:) I don't 'know everything', but I want to after I buy something. At least I know what it's called now (MB6?), and what to search for, so that's more than I knew yesterday. Thanks!
Yeah, I was kidding about the "wimp" thing! ;) "MB6" stands for MultiBand 6 which refers to the 6 atomic clocks around the world to which such a watch can sync up. I seriously doubt that there will be an issue in a "standard time only" region. It's not as if Arizona is the only place on earth that eschews DST, and those Japanese are pretty crafty with their electronics. I recommend an MB6 for your purposes.

Buff

Enlightened
Not that I say this too often, but my cargo pants weigh 8 pounds. :oops: I wear Tru-Spec 24/7's with about 16 pockets of various sizes with all my EDC tools (including the CC pry bar) and a Glock.
I know cargo shorts are great considering all the EDCS i carry. Thought about buying one of those CC pry tools as they are similar to the Halligan tools i never carried as a fire fighter. Back in my day our go to tool was the Pickhead/Firemans Axe if we weren't on the business end of a fire hose.
IMG_9435.jpeg

Mine circa 80's i found at a antique store that resembled the one i carried

I know cargo shorts are great considering all the EDCS i carry. Thought about buying one of those CC pry tools as they are similar to the Halligan tools i never carried as a fire fighter. Back in my day our go to tool was the Pickhead/Firemans Axe if we weren't on the business end of a fire hose.
View attachment 58961
Mine circa 80's i found at a antique store that resembled the one i carried
1980's is an antique already?! 😒 Also, now I want a fire axe!

Reactions: F89
Yes but of course 😂
View attachment 58962
This one. Was my work watch for many years. I was only wearing it when i was going to abuse anything that would be on my wrist. For some reason i've started wearing this watch 90% of the time?
Nailed it. I thought those vials looked like they were going around the dial instead of radiating from the center!