What watch you're wearing?

That's awesome.
Lume shot?

Freshly charged with lights on in the room.

20240215_075605.jpg

Freshly charged with lights off in the room.
I read a comment from a man who wore this watch while camping with his wife, and she asked him to cover his wrist because it was keeping her awake.

20240215_075642.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wear a watch during work due to the potential hazards to me (and the watch). Granted, it's a first world problem, but I like to wear mine all day and not just after I get home. Today is my weekend so I'm sporting a mildly unusual offering from one of the many brands from Glashütte, Germany. This is a Type B Flieger from Mühle Glahütte called the Aerosport. It is (ostensibly) a limited-edition piece commemorating the 80th anniversary of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. The movement is the very respectable Selita SW 200-1 (Mühle version) with woodpecker neck regulation, and it's aesthetically lacking for an exhibition back (i.e. It's not an A. Lange & Söhne), but, in typical German fashion, it keeps crazy accurate time.

20240216_112040.jpg
20240216_112447.jpg

Reactions: F89

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We think of LED's for flashlights being bright and all that but way back right after fire was invented in the 1960's LED was used for a wrist watch.

IMG_3492.jpeg

In 1969 Hamilton was asked to devise a wrist watch using LED's. By 1972 there was one. By 1975 the US President wore one. So did 007, Steve Austin and the Shah of Iran.

We think of LED's for flashlights being bright and all that but way back right after fire was invented in the 1960's LED was used for a wrist watch.

View attachment 57987
In 1969 Hamilton was asked to devise a wrist watch using LED's. By 1972 there was one. By 1975 the US President wore one. So did 007, Steve Austin and the Shah of Iran.
Hamilton has brought back updated versions of the "Pulsar." They cannot use that name anymore as it has belonged to Seiko since 1978, but they look cool and retro if you're willing to drop several hundred dollars.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I left my wrist watch out in the freezing cold last night
IMG_3403.jpeg

Here's what it looked like this morning
IMG_3518.jpeg

Eh, just kidding.
The white one is a favorite. I found a partner for it for under $20 at the Amazon warehouse.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Vintage Seiko. Favorite is the Bell-Matic, but one of the pusher gears is plastic & even new old stock is brittle. I read someone in Austrailia or Asia was making metal replacements. I want a Landmaster with the 24 hour dial, because its easy to use as a compass.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
You can use any rotating bezel as a compass
View attachment 58112
Just use the 30 as south.
Video won't play, so the instructions are truncated. Without the 24 hour hand, its harder to align S with being halfway between...

OR:

ROTATING COMPASS BEZEL
[In the Northern Hemisphere]
1. Set "N" on the rotating compass bezel
to the 12 o'clock position. The direction
marks on the bezel are set as follows;
3 o'clock position: E (East)
6 o'clock position: S (South)
9 o'clock position: W (West)
2. While keeping the dial level, point the
24-hour hand in the direction of the sun.
The direction marks indicate the corresponding
directions.

Before using the compass, it is necessary to set the 24-hour hand to the current time of your area.

● If daylight saving time (summer time) is in effect in your area, be sure to set your watch one hour behind the current time before using the rotating compass bezel.
>

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it might (will) make it easier, you don't even need a rotating bezel or 24 hour hand.

It's not the greatest but it'll give you a rough idea.
I'm in the southern hemisphere so the method is a bit backwards for me obviously, it's also daylight savings so for me currently I use the 1 position (rather than the 12 for non daylight savings) to point at the sun. The position between the 1 and hour hand is north.
For you guys (up north) you use the hour hand to point to the sun and you'll be finding south (position between sun/hour hand and 12).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I love it!
I sense a new collection coming on.
I had indicated "probably not" but you called it.

About a dozen have been added. I already had about a dozen I had been accumulated over the years including some vintage numbers like Mickey Mouse watches. Maybe 20 all told.

What's been added since are a few sub $50 Timex and a couple a bit over $100. One is an automatic Timex Marlin with the Peanuts gang on the dial given to me by Mrs Fixer for Valentine's day.
IMG_3542.jpeg

Has a nice sweeping second hand and is acurate to a few seconds a day.

Another is a new (to me) brand called Orient who make really nice watches for not a lot of $. Their $300 diver is often compared to some of the world's best.
IMG_3681.jpeg

This one is called Bambino
Another automatic acurate to a few seconds a week. Almost unheard of with automatic watches, much less under $200.

And coming soon:
IMG_3700.jpeg

An Elgin from the year I was born.

Last edited: