What would you consider the ultimate flashlight?

TorchMan

Enlightened
JonSidneyB said:
How about a light with a PC programable interface and that allows interchangable LEDS so you can switch from 3watt to 5watt or easily upgrade for future LEDs.

Throw in various battery tubes and different heads, and oh, yeah!:rock:

RCatR

Enlightened
i'm in the process of designing the ultimate light........mgwahahahhahahhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(yes it will be bright[UX1L!], rechargeable, long lasting, around the size of a 3D M@g and all that jazz, but wait till you see the real 3 surprises :-D)

expect news o fthis uber-light within a month or so, as the new(clear) technology hasn't been fully developed by myself yet.

hehehe

srue

Newly Enlightened
Well, if anyone wants my total fantasy light:

Small - about 2/3 the length of Arc AAA with same width.
Variable focus - from pure flood to pinpoint laser; however this could decrease the ease-of-use - when coupled with the variable brightness, it would need two places of rotation, though I suppose one could be at the front (focus) and the other at the back (brightness);
Infinitely variable brightness - the more you twist the head the brighter it gets (with a logarithmic scale), with max brightness at least 1000 lumens, low coming on at about 0.5 lumens - no more than 2 full turns from off to max.
Long runtime - at least 24 hours on max brightness.
Rechargeable - a single rechargeable cell, rechargeable from within the light; the light should come with spare cells and an external charger; charging should be instant (or as fast as can be without tripping my circuit breaker) (note, a solar charger would not be as useful as extra cells here, because even if it was perfectly efficient, it would take days to charge the cell unless you had a huge solar cell).
Cool running - should produce no detectible heat (by a human).
Durable body material - Diamond is the preferred material here, though tungsten or any very hard material would work - the weight of the material is not going to be much at this size - lightweight is good, but a little bit of heft is fine too.
Full body knurling - a few unknurled rings might be okay; i prefer pretty grippy knurling, like Firefly 2.
Lots of colors - idealy I'd have one of every color I want, but black is a must.
Tritium locator - should have tritium (or equivalent eternally glowing substance) ring at tail or between rotating portions; not too bright, but enough to find in the dark.
Cheap - free is even better.
Upgradeable - user-replaceable modules are best (such as changing beam color), manufacturer upgrades are fine too.
Tailstand capable - for candle mode if I ever need it (though I never seem to).
Keychain attachment - a small split-ring is fine, and it should retain its ability to tailstand while keys are attached.
Waterproof - capable of going to the bottom of the ocean.
Headlamp capable - should come with easy to use headlamp attachment.
Readily available - I should be able to obtain as many as I want as soon and as often as I want.

There you go. This exact light will come out the day after I die of old age.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
srue .. it's perfectly achievable... no big deal... only it would take some time... but not too long... just 8 - 10 years.

1000 Lumens from a small 5 mm @ 30 mA is not a dream but a reality atleast in conceptual level. some reasearch work is also going on with students in Canada and US.

just to brief you, the technology is about extracting as much light as possible through use of nano "holes" ... another approach is to use a mesh of nano tubes stacked together to form a "Cube" to emit a mixture of R-G-B primary colors giving a overall white light output. Cascaded Lasing action will accelerate the photons in various directions.

the above content is copyrighted and is patent pending, however posted here just for information

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
-5W dimmable
-waterproof to several meters
-li-ion 8000mAh charged inside the flashlight
-plugs direct to AC outlet to charge, autovolt
-LED bar fuel gauge
-sleep mode
-DC-out port for charging your cellphones, PDAs, digicams, etc
-Bluetooth interface via smartphone/PDA for advanced functions:
----remote on/off/dimming
----remaining runtime estimate
----text-to-morse code
----programmable flashing/signalling

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Right now, the space in my mind which holds ideas of "the ultimate flashlight" is occupied by Modamag's "Le Beau".

350-500 torch lumens of LED in a compact package would be nice, too.

Dittos of Trashman's comments.

And a question. Why isnt anyone using the Lamina BL-3000 light engine yet in a custom light? 571 lumens with an LED array is astonishing, granted the cost is high and the throw ability is limited BUT it would make a killer near field/midrange light. 4x the output of a Lux V. Right now, not two years from now. Hmmmm....

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds really cool, and even possible. I like it, I like it! It would have to be about the size of a 2 d cell mag. Not too bad, I would buy, although a 300 dollar flashlight would be hard to swallow, depending on your use for it.

Overclocker said:
-5W dimmable
-waterproof to several meters
-li-ion 8000mAh charged inside the flashlight
-plugs direct to AC outlet to charge, autovolt
-LED bar fuel gauge
-sleep mode
-DC-out port for charging your cellphones, PDAs, digicams, etc
-Bluetooth interface via smartphone/PDA for advanced functions:
----remote on/off/dimming
----remaining runtime estimate
----text-to-morse code