Whats the best thrower under $50?

johnny13oi

Enlightened

robm

Enlightened
Relative throw of a few of the lights suggested (that I have), according to my basic light meter tests, (these can only be used compared with each other):

VB16 Gen 4 from Waion (don't have one from DX, but I doubt it would have more throw)
On highest output - 4400 lux @1m (relative throw distance - 65)

Ultrafire WF-500 - 7500 (85)

MagLED 2D - 4400 (65)

Terralux 6EX (w 6AA/2D) - 10000 (100)

DX Super Thrower - 15000 (120)

Sam's Club/Power on Board HID 496000 (700) - this was measured at 4m and converted to equivalent 1m reading.

So the best thrower (of these) for less than $50, by far is easy the HID, but it is not that easy to carry.
Next best is the DX Super thrower, however it is all throw, with a tiny spot. The 6EX is not far behind.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Okay, I have narrowed it down to either the Ultrafire C2 or the one on DX SKU 4081. The DX SKU 4081 one claims to have 11000 lux at 1M which seems pretty good right?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
An aspheris lens and a MagLED will give you about 50000lux@1m.

hahah I gotcha, its just that I don't like the look of the lens protruding out so far from the front. Even with that said, I will probably do the aspherical lens in the Mag thing sometime soon down the road. Just looking for something so that I can have another flashlight. And I figured modding the MagLED to SSC would cost me about 20 bucks, so I'd go with a whole new one for now.

bspofford

Enlightened
The $27 "Projection" CREE P4 LED Digital Torch Multi-Power 3.6V-9V at DX puts out a nice white beam on high and low that is indistinguishable from my LumaPower MRV on high and low. The lights are about the same length, but the MRV is a little more compact. I use an 18650 cell in the DX Projection CREE and can illuminate objects half a mile away!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I talk about the Big Jim a lot, so excuse my bias.

You can have an Eveready 9101IND for less than US$30 from online shops, which with its sealed-beam lamp, throws a LONG way.

Not counting hotwires, do any of the off-the-shelf torches mentioned so far outthrow this torch?

And, if so, by much?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I know I talk about the Big Jim a lot, so excuse my bias.

You can have an Eveready 9101IND for less than US$30 from online shops, which with its sealed-beam lamp, throws a LONG way.

Not counting hotwires, do any of the off-the-shelf torches mentioned so far outthrow this torch?

And, if so, by much?

Is that the one that takes the 6V double-size screw top battery? Cheapest I've seen the batteries is $20; for that price, a halogen with a rechargeable SLA sounds like a better deal.

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Harborfreight sells a 3D and a 3C LED flashlight that throws very well. It is direct drive and uses a Luxeon star that is easily replaced with a Cree for over twice the brightness. A prior thread about these lights is here.

I've moded the 3C version with the Cree XR-E Q2 star and am amazed at the throw and brightness. Total cost was about $30. I used a 0.33 ohm resistor to limit the current to 1.1 amps with freshly charged NiMH batteries. I use 3 AA batteries inside a rolled tube in the flashlight. Three C batteries will also work of course. Now that the Cree XR-E Q5 stars are out, it can be even brighter!
icon10.gif

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Yes, absolutely, but 104 hours' runtime vs 20 minutes!

Do you really get 104 hours of runtime from one battery? Wow!
According to this, the 'professional quality alkaline' 908 (square) and 918 (rectangular) are rated at 20AH and 40AH respectively. The Home Depot Tough Brite claims 'up to' 1 hour and delivers 45-60 minutes. The Black and Decker '20 Million Candlepower' claims up to 25 minutes.

Neither of these is a 'flashlight', but they are still lots of fun for under $30.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions but I would like for the flashlight to be an LED flashlight please, and these are all great suggestions. Basically something that will throw like the MRV for under $50. I know, hard, but anything?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you really get 104 hours of runtime from one battery? Wow!
According to this, the 'professional quality alkaline' 908 (square) and 918 (rectangular) are rated at 20AH and 40AH respectively.
Thanks sysadmin, all good information. I won't continue this discussion, as it doesn't belong in the LED forum, and the OP has given the hint.

But my source for the "104 hours" was derived from data.energizer.com which gives 52Ah for the alkaline 521, and the 0.5A draw of the GE 4546.

When we talk about throwers under $50, it has to be the yardstick.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the D-Mini is as close as you're likely to get in a name brand light for a powerful thrower in your price range.