What's the most unusual/stupidest/weirdest thing you've done with your flashlight?

flame2000

Enlightened
Re: What's the dumbest thing you have done involving a flashlight?

I once saw an ant crawling on the wall, took my Fenix L2D and cap over it, then turn on Turbo for ~20sec! When I remove the light, the ant just stop moving for a minute!:duck:......probably wondering what hit him!

Dr Jekell

Enlightened

TK40 isnt capable of doing that
I ever tried to take a glance to a turbo-driven SST-50 @ fully night adapted vision
it hurts but the effect wont last for 2 hours(not even 15 minutes)

It helps to remember that not every ones vision is the same as yours.

Databyter

Enlightened

I left one of my fav lights on top of the car and then took a drive.

Fenix P3D or something like that. It was a while back.

Databyter

Enlightened

TK40 isnt capable of doing that
I ever tried to take a glance to a turbo-driven SST-50 @ fully night adapted vision
it hurts but the effect wont last for 2 hours(not even 15 minutes)

Your wrong.

The beacon mode is very deceptive in the TK40.
It powers up to full lumens instantly from a complete dark state that lasts long enough that your pupils might be fully dilated for night vision when it hits you if you made the mistake of having night vision and then looking into the flash.

Completely dilated pupils can take enough energy to really put your eye into irritation mode.

I don't know about damage at this level of energy, but I do know that there is a big difference in danger values with dilated pupils and so be careful with Beacon modes that only rarely flash an intensly bright beam with long pauses in between. Don't look directly at it with night vision or while under the influence of drugs that make your pupils dilated..

Your eye is like a lens that is mostly covered up. Think of a magnifying glass with 90% of its surface covered.
Hard to burn paper in sunlight right?
Then uncover (dilate) it.

Now you have intensified the energy by many multiples.

Last edited:

eric10mm

Newly Enlightened

Loaned it out.

My first Surefire 6P is so old it was made and marked by Laser Products. At the time they were not generally available to the public and they were leaps & bounds better than everything else available at the time.

So, naturally every one at the range wanted to borrow it when it came time to shoot the low-light courses. I still have that light, upgraded somewhat over the years. But there are still all those dents in the bezel that perfectly match the serrations on the other guys' rear sights. :thumbsup:

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened

Same as jhc37013 except it was a polished gold tone anodize mini mag light down a scout camp outhouse.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened

Does spending over $300 for one count?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does spending over $300 for one count?

Not at all.

But telling my wife my RA 140T was $149 was was one of the less intelligent flashlight-related moves I've made.

Funny, I tell her I spent $1,000 on a rifle and she doesn't blink. But I buy a RA or SureFire and she thinks i'm nuts.

johnmeyer

Newly Enlightened

Back in 1974 I built a headlight for the bike, complete with a taillight which blinked using a homebuilt flasher. To power the whole thing, I used a lead acid battery, because NiCads were brand new, terribly expensive, and not available in a size that would keep the light going for very long. One problem that I forgot: bikes get tipped over when parked in bike stands.

It is amazing how much metal can get eaten away by battery acid ...

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

The dumbest thing ive ever done involving a flashlight is.......
i got addicted on surefire and now my wallet is always empty...:p

SolemnSight

Banned

awesome question!
well mine isn't dumb when you first think , but...
i taped -w/ duct tape- my flashlight(s) (4sevens mini 123, regular 123^2, g5) to my longboard, and what do you know, the bumps on the sidewalk .really do mess them up

so, got to do it again, with cushioning

Tomcat!

Enlightened

Back in the day when Maglites were the best thing in the world... er hmm... I cracked myself in the knee with a 6D.
The lesson learned was never belt carry a baseball-bat-with-a-light-on-the-end sized torch in a holder that allows it to swing wildly, and then try running with it. This can only ever end badly.

Glad I didn't own a 3D or it would have caught a bit higher!:mecry:

S1LVA

Enlightened

I dropped an HDS clicky on my toe. The bezel hit the base of my toe nail just right, splitting it open and causing it to gush blood. Ouch.

S1LVA

computernut

Enlightened

I was cleaning my Surefire G3 and was putting things back together. I had just slid the batteries in and stood the light bezel down while I cleaned the tailcap. I then placed the tailcap on top of the tube and then got distracted with something. I then wondered what this burning smell was. Turns out the tailcap made enough contact to turn the bulb on and it was melting my rubber work mat! There was a clear residue on the lens but it wiped off, I still have a ring in my mat but nothing wrong with the light. :ohgeez:

mwb01

Newly Enlightened

Ordered a green Mag 3D as a Mag85 host since I had several black mags already and I like green. It was the last piece to my project and I got hasty as I unpacked it and gathered my other components. Anyways I leave it laying on the table while I start fiddling with the other parts. Suddenly my heart sinks as I hear a rolling noise and then an incredibly loud bang as it hit the hard floor. Gotta love Maglites' lack of anti-roll. When it rolled off it didn't have the tailcap on and as luck would have it it hit the floor right on the end of the body tube and dented the section with threads. I was able to force the threads back into place but it's still not very smooth when you screw on the tailcap. Luckily it still functions and there's no visible anodizing damage on the outside so I didn't have to get a new one, but it was still a frustrating beginning to my project.

I've also done the unfortunate mistake Napalm mentioned with moonlight and blinky modes several times. That was what finally motivated me to reprogram my Predator's modes

COAST

Enlightened

The purchase of a led lenser.

Haha! In their defense, they aren't as bad as some brands out there..... Just overpriced for what you get!

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, 1 interesting thing involves HK peoples(Not me,ive learnt alot :D )
They praises U__fire and they think it is a Gucci/LV in flashlight and everytime they buy a light, theyll ask: is there any ul__fire?
Even batterys, they ask for the "highest" capacity UF 3600 mah :p

happystuffing

Newly Enlightened

I was riding shotgun with a buddy and we decided that my Streamlight Ultra Stinger was just awesome.

So we turned off the headlights and used the flashlight only.

It was night time and we were on our way to go fishing. Stupid and dumb in retrospect, but fun at the time. Would I do it again? Hell no!

. . . but I think I turned a new flashaholic that night ;)