What's wrong with my EagleTac M2XC4?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the light more for the wow / show off factor...So its barely been used. I run it on 18650s exclusively, and with the non clickie tail. I've never opened up the head to mod it or anything like that. Kept it in the car in its case for a while, and when I tried turning it on, the only levels available to me were low and strobe. Figured maybe the batteries needed charging, so I filled those up and the same problem persists.

I sent a message off to EagleTac a few days ago but I figured in the meantime, maybe I'd check around here and see if someone can play Dr. House. Any ideas?

shipwreck

Enlightened
Before you go any further - go get 4 primary batteries and try it. If it works right - then it is your rechargables that are bad.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You may want to examine your batteries more closely (and try another pair first).

FYI, the M2XC4 has a significant stand-by drain. A pair of fully charged 2200mAh 18650 batteries would be fully drained in ~3-4 months of non-use - unless you unscrew the head to almost completely off, or use the clicky switch to break the current.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
As selfbuilt said, the light has parasitic battery dran when used without the clicky switch. My guess is that it over discharged your 18650 batteries and they are now bad (meaning they will not hold a charge). Don't expect an email back from EagleTac. I have emailed them many times and never get any response. Anyway, I would try new batteries first since I'm 95% sure that is your issue. Also, I would install the clicky switch as this will make sure this does not happen again. When you don't use the clicky switch, the light never turns off (even though there is not any light coming out of it).

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I know about parasitic drain. Forgot that this light has that issue. I didn't check the batteries voltages before charging (doh) but after, when testing their voltage in the battery holder, they seem to be about right (8.3v for the two). They're the AW 2600's. Bought new and used only in this light.

I imagine they probably didn't sit for more than a month, though I know that'd still probably be enough to cause some drain.

I'll scrounge up some other batteries and see if it's the same story. *UPDATE* A different set of batteries had the same result...Guessing it's switch related then.

Last edited:

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M2SC4 Mk II. When I leave it on Max for more than 15 min, it loses the level change ability. If I put it under a fan, blowing air on it, it works fine. Clearly it is a heat-related issue.

The magnetic ring on the M2SC4 is removable. Try with a small magnet if the light switches between levels, so you can exclude a mechanical malfunction.

Regards

Anthony

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magnet test gives me the same result, low and strobe...

I'd understand the thermal issue but you at least have access to the other levels before it overheats right?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magnet test gives me the same result, low and strobe...

I'd understand the thermal issue but you at least have access to the other levels before it overheats right?

Yes, before the light becomes warm, the levels switch normally. In mine, it is clearly an issue with the MCU, which is not liking the heat produced from the MC-E.
So far, I haven't been able to determine if it is an issue with my light, or it is a failure of the design with this line of lights.

Anthony

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have one and love it - I only use primaries and it works fine.

Once the batteries get low enough, turbo won't work. When I get to that point, I change the batteries

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Eagletac has contacted me and requested that I send the head only back to them in HK. I guess I should be happy I heard back from them in the first place. I'll keep everyone posted.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
So here's a little blast from the past update...

I somehow managed to delete the original response email from them that said send it back. I contacted them again explaining that, and they understood and said send it on over. I packed up the head and sent it. Also sent an email to them stating that it was on it's way. Got a delayed email response saying great, we'll let you know when it gets here. Still waiting to hear about it arriving. I think it's been about a month now. Fired an email off at them asking about it and still nothing. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon...