What's your favorite pocket knife?

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
justsomeguy said:
You said you got Banged for a Buck.........ok Baby......I would never have accused you of that....

Or did you say you banged someone else for a buck? (no pics please!!!!!)

Now you're just trolling. I'd hate for you to feel like everyone's ganging up on you, but what kind of a response did you expect from these low value posts? You can keep playing 5 year old, type idiotic posts all day and then act like a victim when people respond negatively, but you'll only push away any valuable contacts you may have made had you acted responsibly.

If you dislike a product, give us some specific examples on it. The one thing that you have said is that you think that the steel is too soft. That's fine and it's a good point. What must be considered for the ELU is his budget and his needs for the tool. He may almost never really need to use the knife or only use it on light materials. What purpose then would a super steel like S30V or INFI serve this particular individual? He would only be paying a premium for bragging rights, since that person will never have to use the knife on that level where the differences will matter. And some people would find it illogical to buy something that will never be used for its intended purpose. I second that SAKs are some of the best price-to-value tools on the market today, especially when they have companies like Frost Cutlery to compete with in price.

Danbo

Enlightened
justsomeguy said:
Carrot my friend......the blade does NOT retain a sharp edge....that is what they call SOFT and cheap. It must continually be honed to be sharp. Ask any knife expert.

Steve

Well, you're both right and wrong on this one. Yes, the SAKs(both Victorinox and Wenger) use a relatively soft stainless for their blades. And, Yes, they do require a bit more sharpening than some of the newfangled, high alloy steels used in the much more expensive knives. However, for the money, SAKs are a great value. And, one thing about the SAK blades. Although the steel may be softer, the blades are ground so thin that you are able to push cut long after they technically go dull. IMHO, nobody should be without some kind of SAK. My personal favorite SAK is the Victorinox "Mauser" model. This one, I believe, is discontinued, but had two larger than normal blades(one clip and one spearpoint), a larger than normal wickedly sharp saw and a couple of other tools. The handles are olive green on this model. If you see one for sale, I suggest you buy it(or I will!) :)

magpie

Newly Enlightened
well here in the good ole U.K we are kind of limited on blade carry....european blade laws etc.

so my carry is a spyderco co-pilot small handy and nice and sharp

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
Well....

Anyone can look back onto my posting history.

I ask for 2 things.

1) did I ever bad mouth Victorinox or Wenger?

2) you will find that I never did. Look at my other posts. Did I ever badmouth anyone who did not deserve it?

The SAK are just another corporate entity. They do what they get paid for.

Steve

(i forgot to insert a colon)

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BEST knife is the one you have on you when you need one. The same way with flashlights, even the most exotic materials, workmanship, bling and other things won't do you any good if it is sitting in a drawer.

I have been carrying a SAK classic keychain knife for the last 23 years because of it's size and usefulness. I know what its capabilities are so and use them to its full capacity. There are better blade steels and knives out there but not at the tiny size, multiple other tools and price point of the SAK Classic.

For the last week, I have been carrying around a Boker WharCom folder with the clip removed to make it very narrow. It nestles in my wallet so if I need a larger knife than the SAK, it is right there. The narrow AUS8 blade is lethally sharp and I love the ergonomics of the knife. Funny thing is I have not "trained" myself to remember there is a knife in my wallet so the SAK on the keychain still gets used most of the time.

My favorite belt holster carry knife is my 2+ year-old Leatherman Charge Ti. Easy one hand opening, sharp and durable 154CM blade and having that seperate serrated blade and saw as backup make it perfect for me. I can grab my Gerber or Benchmade when I need to holster a knife but never do because I want more than just a knife.

On my keychain is a Fire~FlyIII flashlight. To most people it is rather bizarre to carry something so large/heavy on a keychain. Since I use the low/medium settings most of the time, burst on occasion and strobe for signaling (and to be seen) it works for me. I won't attack anyone for using a coin cell light or fenix EO AAA light if it does what they want a keychain light to do at a size they can put up with.

Flashaholic white wall hunters and knife nut steel snobs have a lot in common, too much concentration on the specs and perceived ultimate in abilities and not the required tasks at hand. I am picky about beam tint which helps me perceive colors better. Other folks have a specific knife shape/size that works for them. Another group specifies the qualities in multi-tools that they require.

If a single AA Cree light with multiple current regulated outputs combined with a flip out AUS8 knife, scissors, tweezers, screwdrivers and bottle opener was available, would you buy it? I would!

carrot

Flashaholic
BentHeadTX said:
Flashaholic white wall hunters and knife nut steel snobs have a lot in common, too much concentration on the specs and perceived ultimate in abilities and not the required tasks at hand. I am picky about beam tint which helps me perceive colors better. Other folks have a specific knife shape/size that works for them. Another group specifies the qualities in multi-tools that they require.
+1
I agree, BentHeadTX.

rugbymatt

Enlightened
I have three knives that I rotate in EDC two expensive and one not so. These are the first two;

Scott Cook Lochsa
cimg0011fc4.jpg

Kirby Lambert Inferno
cimg0027bo6.jpg

and the last one I don't have a picture of because, well because everyone knows what it looks like. The last one is a SAK, I use it to do the things I would never do with the other two. Prying, bottle opening, screwdriving, all the things I need to do at work.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
No matter what other knives or multi-tools I'm carrying, I don't think I'll ever go without a SAK classic. That's a very static part of my EDC.

Charles S

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco Delica Wave. Good steel defiantly my favorite knife in your price range.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
justsomeguy said:
1) did I ever bad mouth Victorinox or Wenger?

Did you forget about this post?:

justsomeguy said:
In fact, they spend a lot more on advertising and hyping them up on TV shows than they do on the workmanship of the cheap, crappy knives.

I believe SAKs were the subject of that quote. Since SAKs are made exclusively by Victorinox and Wenger, wouldn't you say that you are badmouthing both companies when you say that they sell crappy knives?

Since you seem to have inside information about how much Victorinox and Wenger spend on advertising, could you share those numbers with us please?

justsomeguy said:
Did I ever badmouth anyone who did not deserve it?

Whether someone deserves to be badmouthed is solely a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

JGKC9AYC

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion 1580ST. Granted it's not a "pocket knife"...4 1/2" closed, but I like it...especially the SpeedSafe technology.
1580ST.jpg

For a smaller knife, I have a "Gentleman" SOG. It's crafted entirely out of stainless steel and has a drop-point 2.75 inch blade.
pic1.jpg

I also have several whittler's from Case, Fightin' Rooster & Bulldog...but those rarely get carried...some are still mint & stay in the drawer.
I'm new here, but couldn't resist posting on one of my passions!

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's your favorite pocket knive?

greenlight said:
I like my old spyderco delica.

Hear Hear...

I've carried a delica for years. Can't beat it. I also carry a Wenger Standard Issue (same as Victorinox Soldier) also. Great combo

Raven

Enlightened
Stingray said:
Spyderco Police - I've had for about 13 years . It's slim profile allows it to be carried very easily in the right front pocket, but it blocks easy access to my P32 when I pocket carry that. So...I'm thinking about a Delica4 wave in black so I can move the clip for left hand carry when I pocket carry the P32.

I've owned mine for almost ten years. It's one of the few purchases I've never regretted. If they're still made as good today as they were a decade ago then I highly recommend one.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
justsomeguy said:
All of that can be done better with a real multi-tool.

Can't agree with you on that... The bottle opener and can opener on my Victorinox knives work about 10 times better than the ones on my Leatherman. Also, there aren't that many of what you call 'real' multitools that have a corkscrew. I know of 1 or 2 models in the Leatherman Juice range that have a corkscrew but thats it. And the Juice models don't have locking blades (or locking any tools for that matter) which you also seem to have a problem with.

I'm not saying SAKs are better than knives or multitools, heck I EDC one of each, but there is room for all of them. Just be glad that not everybody likes the same stuff you like. Because if that were the case everything you'd want to buy would be sold out all the time! :laughing:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I've been carrying only a tiny Spyderco Ladybug. So small I can't tell its in my pocket, but cuts everything I need.

group.jpg

Top to bottom: Spyderco Military, Delica 3, Dragonfly and Ladybug.

Last edited: