When did you order your HDS?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unwittingly I ordered a rotary on October 7, 2012 not knowing about the problems. Henry sent me an email soon after the order and said to expect delivery in 8 weeks which would be November 26. I trust this is a good faith estimate on delivery.

As far as I know, you should not expect to receive your light till some time next year......possibly as late as mid year.

I recall someone asking Henry if a non-HCRI Clicky would ship quicker than an HCRI Rotary, and Henry's response was that all lights have the same manufacturing delays. Lots of people here ordered their lights in January, and still haven't received them yet, which should be a good indication that you've got a long wait ahead of you.

Just be happy that when it finally arrives, it should surpass your highest expectations (I sure hope I feel that way).

Grizz

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really want an HDS but that sort of response is why I will never order one. Henry is outright lying when he says 8-weeks (unless things have miraculously gotten back on track). I'm totally fine if it takes a year to fulfill orders, but just be honest and open about the timeline. Saying 8-weeks and delivering in a year is completely unacceptable.
There's really no arguing with that.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say this, at least, in Henry's defense: despite the supply problems and his *ahem* less than accurate time-of-delivery estimates, he seems determined to maintain the same high quality that we've come to expect from HDS lights. However, it's certainly not doing his reputation any favors to promise delivery in 8-weeks when 8-months would be more realistic.

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
All - I literally just got an email from Henry moments ago, in response to an email I sent inquiring about my order timing. Basically they had a problem with a local machine shop that underwent a management takeover. Things are taking much longer than he has expected to resolve, and he believes they have identified a few shops to make the needed parts. Back orders should be caught up by the end of the year...

Not great news but hopefully it helps shed some light on the situation!

Last edited:

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little disappointed as I e-mailed Henry on Thursday asking to cancel my order and have heard nothing back or received a refund. I've been nothing but polite in my e-mails, each sent after the ETA he gave me has come and gone.

Not really good enough considering I've been so trusting and patient with my hard earned £150 that's been in his possession for nearly 6 months.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been planning on buying a Rotary 200 at some point, and I had kinda made up my mind to pull the switch about 3 months ago, but then I heard about the delays. I dont necessarily have too big a problem with even a fairly long delay, as long as I am not expected to pay 100% of the price, then wait a long time.

I had put my name on a waiting list for a new Harley about 9-10 years ago, and the wait at that time was full well known to be 2 years for a big twin bike. Now, I could have gone into a local dealer that same day and bought a new Harley.......for about a 50-70% premium over MSRP!!! I wasnt going to pay $24,000 for a $14,800 bike, so I put my name in, but I didnt have to pay til the bike was delivered to the dealer 2 years later. But then after about 1.5 years, I changed my mind after discovering that Harley was building new plants in a year or two, which meant the waits would disappear, so only a few weeks before my delivery date, I was offered $2,000 for my "place in line" from another guy who was just about to pay the 60% premium over MSRP for a new bike!! So I took him up on it, and in 2006 I put that $2,000 towards a new Sportster that I got with no wait, on day 1 for MSRP!

^^Thats kinda irrelevant to this situation, but it worked out pretty cool!! Anyway, I still plan on buying a Rotary at some point once things are rolling along again with production. But my question is: Have they been producing them a little at a time and filling older orders, or has it been a complete work stoppage due to the factory issues so that no orders have gone out?

RobME

Newly Enlightened
So are you going to let us in on your secret or are you just going to leave us all wondering because i'm sure everyone who has ordered would love to know what you know.The thing that's the most frustrating about these ridicules waiting times is the lack of information coming from Henry.So please let us know what you've heard.
Sorry. I didn't mean to be cryptic. I've been away from CPF for quite a while and just recently become aware of the HDS fulfillment backlog. I called Henry on an unrelated matter and he told me (basically) the same as what 'atxlight' expressed in post #205. I was really just responding to the post above mine, "When is Henry going to find someone to produce these lights?" - So I answered that I heard he has; I just didn't say that I'd heard from him. I'm nobody with any 'inside' knowledge and I didn't want to be the cause of any undue speculation. It doesn't change anything anyway. He still has weeks/months of work ahead of him.

It's tough to wait for a great product, but it is what it is. I'm not in the queue for a new light but I feel for you guys who've been waiting so long.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm beginning to feel like my 7-month wait was mercifully short! I see there are people who ordered around the same time I did (early-January) who are still waiting for their lights.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm beginning to feel like my 7-month wait was mercifully short! I see there are people who ordered around the same time I did (early-January) who are still waiting for their lights.
Me too felt the same. I was real surprised to know that a few here actually ordered it a couple of days later than us and have yet to receive their lights.

thaugen

Enlightened
Me too felt the same. I was real surprised to know that a few here actually ordered it a couple of days later than us and have yet to receive their lights.

I am one of those who ordered my HDS on January 12, 2012. I think I just missed getting one from the last batch of lights and hope I am in front of the queue when Henry has things worked out with the machine shops.

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
If you aren't looking for HiCRI, don't mind a cerakote finish, and need it in a week you might try batterystation or goinggear. Looks like they have a couple left.
I just realized, those aren't Rotary. I think yours is. So it may not help.
Regardless, Henry is very accomodating if you need to change or cancel your order due to the long wait time.
Hope it works out for you!
I'm still looking forward to my HiCRI clicky, hopefully sometime next month.

I just could'nt wait another second. So I took your advice and tracked down an HDS Executive with Desert Sand cerakote finish off batterystation. For those of you out there that are as impatient as I am, they still have some left. Orange, Pink and Desert Sand cerakote finish Executive models only.

Ordered it on Monday, got it yesterday! It's not the Rotary I originally wanted, but that's fine because this is a kick *** light. Love it, and the cerakote is a neat departure from my standard black anodized aluminum finish.

That said, I didn't cancel my Rotary order...so now I have this bad boy to hold me over until the tactical rotary shows up...whenever that may be....

Snareman

Enlightened
Sorry. I didn't mean to be cryptic. I've been away from CPF for quite a while and just recently become aware of the HDS fulfillment backlog. I called Henry on an unrelated matter and he told me (basically) the same as what 'atxlight' expressed in post #205. I was really just responding to the post above mine, "When is Henry going to find someone to produce these lights?" - So I answered that I heard he has; I just didn't say that I'd heard from him. I'm nobody with any 'inside' knowledge and I didn't want to be the cause of any undue speculation. It doesn't change anything anyway. He still has weeks/months of work ahead of him.

It's tough to wait for a great product, but it is what it is. I'm not in the queue for a new light but I feel for you guys who've been waiting so long.

Upstanding of a guy as Henry seems to be, it seems like we've heard this before a few times.

davyro

Enlightened
I'm just going to wait & see if Henry get's on top of things before i consider ordering a Rotary.If he does finally get a reliable machine shop I don't think it would take that long to get the backlog down.
Obviously it's all ifs & buts & my sympathy goes out to those of you who have handed your money over & were told you'd have a 6 or 8 week wait it's for that reason alone i won't part with my money
until this 6 or 8 week wait actually becomes a reality until then i will keep searching the second hand market looking for an HDS that i can get modded to keep me ticking along until i can get that
Rotary that i really want with a black bezel & raised button.:shakehead

Edi

Newly Enlightened
For all you peaipke that recently recieved their torches... When did you order or how long where you waiting???

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I'm glad to see this thread is still active. I ordered my Clickie on Dec. 31st of last year and have yet to receive it. I think once Henry starts shipping lights the backlog will come down quickly. Until then, it's a waiting game. The light that my wife ordered for me was a birthday present (March). I just hope I get my light before my next birthday.

RobME

Newly Enlightened
It does seem that way. I get the impression that he still hasn't found a reliable parts supplier.
I think he has a big backlog to fill, but speaking to him... I get the impression that within the next three to four months he'll fill it. I don't think he's BS'ing, but he's still dependent on new machine shops to deliver his parts for assembly. I think if someone placed a new order today, it would be filled within a month or so, after the new year.

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
I ordered my clicky on May and decided not to wait any longer. Henry refunded the money within a day.

I managed to get the ceracoted version from one of the dealers recently and there are quite a few of them. I believe henry's production is not at standstill but is slowly producing lights in batches.