When do you use high powered lights?

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
Hey there, I EDC a SC62w and just ordered a H600fw for camping and hiking. I've been toying with the idea of getting something larger, like a TK75 or TK51 or something of the sorts but I don't really see when I would actually use it in place of the smaller lights. Maybe leave it in my car for emergency, but then I'll likely never be using it. What do y'all use your big powerful lights for?

trubltmols

Newly Enlightened
Walking my dogs, one in the Jeep since I work nights and its in the country have to have a bright light. Self defense, I've seen light give a would e miscreant pause and then change their mind about causing trouble.Bright lights are very useful!

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
I understand a bright light is useful, hence I carry a nearly 1000 lumen EDC every day, but I'm not sure where larger lights fit into the picture. In all the above circumstances my EDC is what I have in my pocket and is what I'll be using. When is it particularly useful to lug a multicell light around? Do you find yourself actually using the larger lights?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point about lugging around heavy lights.

I really love the tech advance that's allowing us 500-1200 lumens from smaller and smaller packages.

When I first saw the thread title, big clunkers came to mind and I thought "No, I don't even use those." Now, I suppose even EDC class is "high powered" these days... ~1200 lumen 10440 blaster from Vinh, ~1600 lumen blaster from Oveready, so on. Not just lumen output, but easily available throwers hitting 300-600 yards are out there right now. Hmm.

When do I use high powered lights? Every day! They're bright enough for that. Night time is even better! :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand a bright light is useful, hence I carry a nearly 1000 lumen EDC every day, but I'm not sure where larger lights fit into the picture. In all the above circumstances my EDC is what I have in my pocket and is what I'll be using. When is it particularly useful to lug a multicell light around? Do you find yourself actually using the larger lights?

Larger lights are more useful outdoors, where longer throw is needed. A larger light usually has a much bigger reflector than a small EDC. Plus, a multicell light is good for longer run times, again good for outdoors where it's not so convenient to change batteries.

ven

Flashaholic
For me,out walking and camping mainly i use higher output lights. Thats not to say i am always "turbo" crazy.............benefits of extra run times on lower modes being multi cell are useful. Also the lower modes often surpass the higher modes of single 18650 lights. So still plenty of light with hours of run time. My smallest higher output light would be the tm06vn u3,at around 4800 OTF lm,offers enough throw for me and awesome flood that can easily slip in my coat pocket. But with whatever i decide to use,i always have an edc back up with me .
Having 1000s of lumens at hand never grows tiresome :D
:)

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, i prefer longer run times. If you were out camping and your light dimmed due to dying batteries, you most likely want one where you do not need to check the light out or change the batteries. Usually i'll EDC a few more lights for that reason. As for high lumen lights, they are useful at night when you are stuck out somewhere like a flat tire on your car or your car dies.. having a bright light (preferably with a strobe or S.O.S mode) so you can alert others that you are on the side of the road and also helps the tow truck find you better :). They are also good for search and rescues. Even at home they will come in handy when bad weather destroys homes.

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
Along these lines, what do y'all think is the best multipurpose multicell light <$200? I'm eyeing the TK51, what do y'all think about that?

ven

Flashaholic
I have the tk51 and it is a great light,options of just flood or just throw and everything combined. 2x900lm per led for a total of 1800lm with both on turbo. Its certainly a well made light as with the tk range. I dont use mine that much tbh.............more down to having too many lights rather than not liking it!

The tk75 makes another great choice,has good throw and flood all in one along with longer run times on turbo(2900lm). I personally prefer the tk75vn over the tk51 BUT it is a larger beast
tk51

tk61vn/tk75vn/tk51

The vn is modded by vinh,at your budget is the tk75vn modded to 4400lm .Beefed up internals along with current bump imo is the one to go for(or of course stretch to the very popular tk75vn Killer Throw:D)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn-4400L

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
Nice, thanks for the very informative reply! I think I'll go for the TK75, most likely vn. Does the killer throw reduce the light's function as a flood light as well? I'm not looking for a throw beast, so it seems perhaps the 4400lm tk75vn is the right fit.

ven

Flashaholic
Nice, thanks for the very informative reply! I think I'll go for the TK75, most likely vn. Does the killer throw reduce the light's function as a flood light as well? I'm not looking for a throw beast, so it seems perhaps the 4400lm tk75vn is the right fit.

The KT version increase the throw from a guestimate 120kcd ish to 300-350kcd so pretty much triples it:D Still retains the flood whilst throwing so far and makes an awesome beast. This is why the KT version is the most popular and from feedback would recommend this over the 4400lm dome on. I decided on the dome on as i have separate throwers and just wanted it to keep that way. If i was to go back i would go for the KT version:)

Not best pic and on a misty night,the dome on version. Tree is around 150m/160m

As a comparison,the tm15 of 2450lm(not that much in it to the standard previous version tk75 2600lm)

ven

Flashaholic
Justins results from the 5000k dome on and KT version
Fenix Tk75vn 5000k XML2 dome on
Samsung 20r (retested with vtc5, no increase)
3745@ turn on
3765@ 30sec
2441 high
958 mid
75 low

Fenix Tk75vn XML2 PDT KT burn in edition
Sony vtc5
3184@ turn on
3158@ 30 sec
1598 high
611 mid
17 low
Throw - 341,000 Lux

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedome for big throw reduces overall output and makes the tint a bit warmer. By nature of that mod, it's sort of the anti-flood. Though dimmer (somewhat,) throw range goes up. Not to say there is no flood at all, but its not the goal of a dedome throw build.

Without dedome, you can current boost with more enhanced output for tasty flood. It's all in what you're looking for, and what range.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Masters, your EDC choices would fit my needs fine as well but I love playing with the big boys. I would +1 the TK75vnKT as my favorite bigger light though it's output is totally overkill for anything I NEED :grin2:.

My middle school children and I play a silly game called flashlight tag at night so I hope I'm building positive memories with them when we all go to the shelf and playfully fight for the big lights. In other words it's all for the kids!

Bob

masters2010

Newly Enlightened
Haha, all for the kids, totally! Sounds like the TK75vnKT is the way to go. Since it's going to be overkill regardless, might as well go big and get the best one. At least, that's my philosophy.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, hope you all have sunglasses, playing flashlight tag with Vinh lights! :laughing:

kj2

Flashaholic
I don't really use my high powered lights inside the city limits, but outside the city it's handy to light a large area. Walking the dog in the forest and checking the camping site is way more fun then ;)
But it's mostly the kick for me, just to have that much power.

wjv

Enlightened
Guess I'm the "odd man out" in that I have yet to have a need for anything more than 300-400 lumens, and all my EDC lights max out at under 300 (most at under 200).

That said, I do have fun with my higher output lights just playing around. Took my Predator V2.5 to a beach at night and lit up dunes that were very far away. But it was all for entertainment. For navigating the beach my 215 lumen LD22 would have worked just as well.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I live, it gets really dark out at night, and that is for about as much time as it is light outside.

I got super irritated with old-school unreliable flashlights many years ago. Now that I have discovered the wonderful world of quality performance flashlights, I use high powered flashlights whenever I want to light up as much of the night as possible. That occurs when I am outside at night, eager for the opportunity to impress myself and others, with the excitement of having a hip-side tote-able Super Mega Night Blaster.

Latest posts