Where Have the Good Threads Gone? CPF Kinda Boring Lately?

scout24

Flashaholic
I don't think you'll be hassled, but that a lot of forum interest isn't in things that you or I would find entertaining or enjoyable. Remember the Archimedes peak? Saw that posted in a thread yesterday. Seems my interests have followed that chart. Started with a narrow interest, was interested in EVERYTHING, now a narrower view... I bumped carrot's "incan challenge" thread on July 9th and got one new post... :) The recent HDS thread turned into a cluster**** despite Bullseyebill's best efforts. I have a new Rotary waiting for me at home but have given up on the thread for all the garbage posted there. The McGizmo subforum is one of my last hopes, but posting there is slow at times. Incan remains civilized, but only so much can be said about my beloved E series lights... I have slowed way down here, and so many new members have joined... Thank goodness! I was new and enthusiastic, might just be time for a break. Maybe the lumen race will be over when I get back!!! Fat chance... :)

nbp

Flashaholic
You have expressed my thoughts almost exactly Greg. :)

I love when I log on and there are a mess of new posts in Don's forum, or a fun ooh rah rah HDS or Muyshondt thread started, or something similar. There are just so few lights that get me going anymore! I want to stay active here but I feel like I don't have a lot to say and there are fewer and fewer members who want to talk about the lights I want to talk about because they are old or dim and expensive, LOL.

I am working on a new "review" along the lines of my Haiku and Tri EDC essays. It's taking me forever as I only write like 6 sentences at a time, haha. As a teaser, it is going to be called "Malkoff MDC - The Poor Man's Haiku - Another Ideal EDC". :popcorn: Maybe I just need to focus on that for awhile and hope it drums up some exciting discussion when it's done. :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I browse through the OLD threads and find ones I like since not a lot of the ones popping up lately seem to trip my trigger. I am inclined to just start bumping up old threads that were fun to inject some new (old?) life into the forum but then I think people will hassle me for doing so. What do you guys think?

I think that if the thread is still relevant, and certainly if you have something to add, then do it. But I wouldn't bump an old thread just because you feel nostalgic about it. We already have enough people posting without contributing anything...

'Course, I'm not an old-timer, so feel free to take my advice with a heap of salt.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I think that if the thread is still relevant, and if you have something to add, then do it. But I wouldn't bump an old thread just because you feel nostalgic about it. We already have enough people posting without contributing anything...

'Course, I'm not an old-timer, so feel free to take my advice with a heap of salt.

I think that is a very sensible approach, thank you. :thumbsup:

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Remember the Archimedes peak?....

... :twothumbs ...

....I want to stay active here but I feel like I don't have a lot to say and there are fewer and fewer members who want to talk about the lights I want to talk about because they are old or dim and expensive, LOL.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean :eek:

Maybe somebody should start a thread to discuss only lights that are "old, dim, and expensive" ... but then again it might just be the three of us posting in it (lol)

EDIT - Hey, I just noticed my post-count went over the 3K mark :party:

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you'll be hassled, but that a lot of forum interest isn't in things that you or I would find entertaining or enjoyable. Remember the Archimedes peak? Saw that posted in a thread yesterday. Seems my interests have followed that chart. Started with a narrow interest, was interested in EVERYTHING, now a narrower view... I bumped carrot's "incan challenge" thread on July 9th and got one new post... :) The recent HDS thread turned into a cluster**** despite Bullseyebill's best efforts. I have a new Rotary waiting for me at home but have given up on the thread for all the garbage posted there. The McGizmo subforum is one of my last hopes, but posting there is slow at times. Incan remains civilized, but only so much can be said about my beloved E series lights... I have slowed way down here, and so many new members have joined... Thank goodness! I was new and enthusiastic, might just be time for a break. Maybe the lumen race will be over when I get back!!! Fat chance... :)

I'd be quite sad to see you go scout24. You're on my list of 'favorite CPFers' and I have noticed you posting less around here, which is a shame because I've always enjoyed your posts.

I haven't been on CPF for as long as some so I'll try not to wax too nostalgic. I do know that nowadays any pocket light I can possibly imagine already exists and can be immediately purchased for $100 (or less) on eBay. I'd be very hard-pressed to name a set of features and have someone tell me that no one has thought of that yet. Kind of sucks the magic out of the hobby, eh? A wise man once said that "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting".

I have a theory that what the site (and the community) has been losing over the years is its' builders. When I see people (yourself included) talking about what interests them most, it always seems to come back to "our" builders. McGizmo, HDS, JHanko, Mac, Lummi, Steve Ku, Peak, FiveMega, DarkSucks, PhotonFanatic - the list goes on. I put "our" in quotes because these people all started out or are still active on CPF and that makes them ours. They're people that everyone can rally behind, because unlike Mag Instruments or Inova, they put a name and a face and a personality behind their product. Their excitement for what they do is contagious and they bring the whole community along for the ride.

We've lost a lot of builders over the years and it seems like we lose more each year. Most of them have gotten quite successful or no longer have the time or the interest to come converse on the forums. A few have left under much less pleasant conditions. But there really aren't a lot of new builders taking their place. I have a subscription list full of individuals who are working hard and have made amazing progress (schizeckinosy, TGWNN, Tana and Mattaus immediately spring to mind). But all of these people are facing the extraordinary challenge of trying to get a foothold in a highly competitive market amongst peers who've been jaded by the flood of low-priced offerings. What new ideas can anyone bring to the table, and without exciting new ideas, how will they finance their endeavours?

It's not very often nowadays that I wander into the general (LED, incan, headlamp) forums. Very little there holds my interest and I don't have anything to add to most of the discussions. I spend the majority of my time now in the machining, homemade and builders subforums, learning and trying my best to contribute. Of all the subforums on CPF, these 3 hold the most promise for me. I believe that if new builders are going to come from anywhere, it's there.

If you decide to take a break, I expect when you return things will be very much the same. I guess my only suggestion is to spend some time in those 3 forums before you go. If a project catches your eye, or someone shows a lot of promise, encourage them. If you have an idea for a light, suggest it. If you have an idea to modify something you already own, float it. If we can encourage even one person to passionately pursue their project then maybe we can burgeon the next generation of CPF builders, and that would make this a more interesting place.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left CPF for a good while - a few years really - as my hoarding centered on MTs, knives, Man Sacks and guns. But after being back, I have ordered 2 lights and as far as I am concerned, things are on the upswing around here. Its all a matter of perception. CPF and the other fora are like drugs. You need more and more to keep the high, and eventually they stop working for you. But a little absence will clear the cobwebs, and you can start over.

caseopen.jpg

Arc lights and others, from back in the day.

nbp

Flashaholic

Maybe somebody should start a thread to discuss only lights that are "old, dim, and expensive" ... but then again it might just be the three of us posting in it (lol)

I love this idea Don! I think I will do just that - it could really be fun! Congrats on 3k posts also - I have always enjoyed your perspectives and insights and you are always a gentleman on these boards. Truly a helpful and kindly member. :thumbsup:

I have a theory that what the site (and the community) has been losing over the years is its' builders. When I see people (yourself included) talking about what interests them most, it always seems to come back to "our" builders. McGizmo, HDS, JHanko, Mac, Lummi, Steve Ku, Peak, FiveMega, DarkSucks, PhotonFanatic - the list goes on. I put "our" in quotes because these people all started out or are still active on CPF and that makes them ours. They're people that everyone can rally behind, because unlike Mag Instruments or Inova, they put a name and a face and a personality behind their product. Their excitement for what they do is contagious and they bring the whole community along for the ride.

We've lost a lot of builders over the years and it seems like we lose more each year. Most of them have gotten quite successful or no longer have the time or the interest to come converse on the forums. A few have left under much less pleasant conditions. But there really aren't a lot of new builders taking their place. I have a subscription list full of individuals who are working hard and have made amazing progress (schizeckinosy, TGWNN, Tana and Mattaus immediately spring to mind). But all of these people are facing the extraordinary challenge of trying to get a foothold in a highly competitive market amongst peers who've been jaded by the flood of low-priced offerings. What new ideas can anyone bring to the table, and without exciting new ideas, how will they finance their endeavours?

It's not very often nowadays that I wander into the general (LED, incan, headlamp) forums. Very little there holds my interest and I don't have anything to add to most of the discussions. I spend the majority of my time now in the machining, homemade and builders subforums, learning and trying my best to contribute. Of all the subforums on CPF, these 3 hold the most promise for me. I believe that if new builders are going to come from anywhere, it's there.

If you decide to take a break, I expect when you return things will be very much the same. I guess my only suggestion is to spend some time in those 3 forums before you go. If a project catches your eye, or someone shows a lot of promise, encourage them. If you have an idea for a light, suggest it. If you have an idea to modify something you already own, float it. If we can encourage even one person to passionately pursue their project then maybe we can burgeon the next generation of CPF builders, and that would make this a more interesting place.

I think you make some excellent points in here Calipsoii, and I find myself in that mentality now. It is hard to get excited about lights made by big faceless manufacturing conglomerates versus those created by our friends here. I browse the Custom builders section frequently but I like your suggestion to hang out a bit more in the Homemade and Modified and Machining areas as well. I have mostly avoided them since I don't have skills in those areas and I don't feel like I have anything to add or help out with, but perhaps the enthusiasm and fresh perspectives of some of the new innovators can help rekindle my excitement a bit too. And at the very least, you're right, we can encourage and cheer on those with skills and help them move forward with their projects. Everyone likes to know they are appreciated and have the support of the community. :)

I left CPF for a good while - a few years really - as my hoarding centered on MTs, knives, Man Sacks and guns. But after being back, I have ordered 2 lights and as far as I am concerned, things are on the upswing around here. Its all a matter of perception. CPF and the other fora are like drugs. You need more and more to keep the high, and eventually they stop working for you. But a little absence will clear the cobwebs, and you can start over.

Always good to have you here Noodle. :) Let me know if you find something that really gets you buzzed again. ;)

I've often thought of taking a CPF break but I have never actually done it. I always feel like I might miss something.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that if the thread is still relevant, and certainly if you have something to add, then do it. But I wouldn't bump an old thread just because you feel nostalgic about it. We already have enough people posting without contributing anything...

I agree. If you add something interesting or relevant, no one has a reason to beat you up. If the thread is just pure interesting even if the last few posts killed it, it is worth reviving if it is old enough.

We need an "old, dim, expensive lights" forum. Then we might take it up to 5 viewers per day and 3 threads :D

caseopen.jpg

Arc lights and others, from back in the day.

Nice collection! You won't get that from members that have been on here for less than 2 years unfortunately... Which gives me an idea:

"Old, dim, expensive light collections; post your pictures." Newbies welcome to try and guess the name and price of the lights. Then try to guess how much you need to give us so we'd be willing to part with it and try not to laugh.

I've been only looking at my subcribed threads for over 2 months now. Perhaps by the end of the summer I might enjoy General and LED lights discussion forums for a few weeks again...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Of all the subforums on CPF, these 3 hold the most promise for me. I believe that if new builders are going to come from anywhere, it's there.

Nice post. Some of my earliest efforts were in/for the homemade section:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ow-To-Calibrate-your-Maglite-C-D-focus-system

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?228157-OxLite

Part of the problem too, is as with cars. The more sophisticated the features get, the more trained/specialized you have to be to modify them.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun thread.

Sort of qualifies why I've been away from CPF and not nearly as active as I was during the "Golden Days."

There was a lot of camaraderie, humor, learning, laughing, and relationship building. People genuinely cared about people. Flashlights were the toys that held us together.

Maybe people still care as they used to. It just seems "colder" around here now.

Colder? Maybe you need to look at the world with a higher CRI LED? How you doin' you big Douche, an' where is Mossyoak ( I miss her) and Goat (I miss it)....

:nana:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one small, partial, theory as to how things could improve: HAVE FEWER STICKIES!!!

Some forums have half a page or even more with stickies. Since they are stickies, I feel why look at them now, I probably looked at them already.

Here is how to reduce the stickies without losing valuable information.

Create a few standardized stickies with references to the threads that previously had their own sticky thread. So say a reference sticky to lumen measurement threads, one to throw measurement threads, one to runtime threads. And maybe one to Surefire drop-in threads. Or one to titanium hosts.

The key is to fold in older sticky threads and to group them, but keep the total sticky "length count" per page to below 10 percent!

koti

Enlightened
I feel like there aren't a lot of cool threads to read and participate in lately and I'm kinda bored. Most of the Customs subforums and other collecting threads I like to read are super quiet, not much going, and many of the threads in the Flashlight forums seem to be the same old "hey I need 1500 lumens real cheap" bit; or "new LED in ABC123 light should I replace the one I already have?" Even the reviews forum is mostly weird blinky lights I have no interest in.

Where are the discussions of the old classic lights, neat LEGOs, high quality lights that really give you satisfaction every time you pull them out, or stories of actually using lights and such? Am I missing the good stuff somewhere or does the discussion just seem very superficial and consumerist lately?

Edit: Just edited a bit since the thread was moved.

I'm with you bro. Especialy on the consumerist part. There's not much going on here in the recent 4 years. Where are the inventors, creators, explorers of the past...they are all replaced by followers & buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Here is how to reduce the stickies without losing valuable information.

Create a few standardized stickies with references to the threads that previously had their own sticky thread. So say a reference sticky to lumen measurement threads, one to throw measurement threads, one to runtime threads. And maybe one to Surefire drop-in threads. Or one to titanium hosts.

The key is to fold in older sticky threads and to group them, but keep the total sticky "length count" per page to below 10 percent!
which has already been done for some stickies - Norm

Here's a couple of examples.

Posting photos

Incandescent Forum - Threads of Interest

It all takes time and effort and means extra work for an already busy volunteer staff.

Last edited:

koti

Enlightened
It all takes time and effort and means extra work for an already busy volunteer staff.

Just a thought I'm thinking right now...does CPF have a mission? Is there a vision that CPF strives to achieve? I feel that morons have an easier time to contaminate without the above.

koti

Enlightened
I don't understand the quote above - Norm

I'm thinking that many of the extremely creative people who used to be here have gone elsewhere or have been driven away. Reading thru the "the wine & cellar" will give you a hint of what I mean. Vision, Creativity, Future, Science, Exploration - Yes.
Bias, Consumerism, conservatism - No.
If I'm still unclear, please feel free to disregard my input.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm thinking that many of the extremely creative people who used to be here have gone elsewhere or have been driven away. Reading thru the "the wine & cellar" will give you a hint of what I mean.

Seriously hoping you're not referring to The Underground..