Where Have the Good Threads Gone? CPF Kinda Boring Lately?

nbp

Flashaholic
CPF is a highly sophisticated group of enthusiasts. I joined, because I know comparatively little about lights, and have an eager desire to go beyond Google. That takes time and effort before I can contribute in a productive way. I try to research first, but at some point, I have to ask noob questions. That's very intimidating, because the knowledge base here is extensive, and I don't want to appear foolish. The already suggested idea of having either an "unelightened" section as a stand-alone subforum, or integrated into other subforums would be great. This would unclog the more sophisticated threads, and allow those of us who make sincere effort to learn, but who sometimes have to ask "dumb" questions.

:welcome:

Don't feel bad. I've been here for 8 years and I still feel that same way sometimes! Especially when it comes to the actual functioning of drivers and converters. I have no electrical engineering experience and I get totally overwhelmed by the skills and knowledge of other members at times. :bow:

scout24

Flashaholic
I think that other than the B/S/T having slowed WAY down since I got here, (economy?) things come and go as far as interesting threads go. Part of it for me was trying to expand what interested me here, not just what I enjoyed earlier in my tenure. I'm still scratching the surface here at CPF, there is a whole wonderful world over in things like fixed lighting, the forge, photography, vehicle lighting, etc. Wander on over, folks. I've been here seven years here in a couple months, and still find members whose names I've never seen before. :)

Greta

Flashaholic
Last post for the thread. Im guilty of taking it off topic. I will move on.

Another PM inbound. My sincere apologies if you would consider them.

First, apologies for the joke, perhaps it was completely in the wrong spot and it definitely has caused some clutter. I had 0 negative intentions and in hindsight should of just shelved that one. However, with respect. Have you read my post history? It's not perfect but I like to think it adds up to at least 2% net positive. :) Over the years I have found CPF invaluable for information. I lurked 8 years before signing up. For the most part it's been a really positive experience despite a few head bumps along the way that comes with any forum. That said, and also with respect, I find your post was condescending and disrespectful and I don't appreciate it. Even though I would love to continue to be apart of CPF I can't do that if the master of the domain sets a negative tone that will spill into other threads and influence how people address "Forrest". People look to moderators & administrators for direction and to lead by example. As you know better than anyone, their actions, information & posts are usually of great service and have influence on everyone that is apart of CPF.

I have no idea what this post will cost me and I articulated it in the most polite way Im able, maybe I'll get a simple response, maybe something much more inhibiting........but I always try and treat everyone on CPF with respect and I require the same in return, regardless of the poster.

Again to everyone, sincere apologies for the derail. If in some way Im unable to further be apart of CPF, Thanks to everyone for their contributions and all the awesomeness I've learned over the years. No need for further OT ( My fault ). Please carry on with your thread.

- Forrest

We've had this discussion before - as a matter of fact, we've even had this discussion in person... face to face. No need for me to repeat myself yet again.

Another thing I've said many times around these forums and face to face is that if you've been around for a short period of time and I know your username and who you are, that is NOT a good thing. You still haven't gotten that.

Do what you gotta do - and I'll continue doing that as well.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an Ebb & flow, depending on what you're into, buying/researching always seems more exciting when lots of new releases coincide, all the anticipation & review threads almost too much to keep up with.

Statistics alone, lots of threads sustaining lots of users posting so apparently not too boring!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I used to write good threads, but I stink now days. . Maybe, I am getting older, so need even catchier titles. . My last thread start, was entitled, "Where's the G.D. Light switch?" . The one before, "How do you turn this thing off? " Before that one was, "How do you turn this thing on?" . No replies, I dont get it.

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I used to write good threads, but I stink now days. . Maybe, I am getting older, so need even catchier titles. . My last thread start, was entitled, "Where's the G.D. Light switch?" . The one before, "How do you turn this thing off? " Before that one was, "How do you turn this thing on?" . No replies, I dont get it.
Resurrecting an old thread here!

I haven't been around as you so I can't speak to how things were in the past too much. But I can tell you that titles that one seemed funny to me now just seem like click bait. I think that's a sign of the times, but I won't even open a thread whose title doesn't tell me what the thread is about.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll admit that a fun Zombie-style Apocalypse thread on a certain other large site having to do with knives, sprang up. The concept was that each member would post as themselves about 18 months after the outbreak took place. Posts would initially consist of how each member survived. Posts were in the form of transmissions via radio. Each member having a powerful radio to broadcast from.

Then after how we each survived, we'd get into detail about where we now were, what's happening, how we're continuing to survive, introduce fictional characters we're surviving with, etc.

Sounds great, right? Sounds creative and fun?.... One problem though.... When you have a group of cool forum members who don't have a writer's mentality, you get a limited number of updates. Even with plenty of other members feeding ideas to each other. So, the topic soon dies; with a buttload of loose ends, unfinished survivor tales. And that's frustrating.

But that's not what actually happened. When you get someone with a professional writer's mentality, and imagination (the type that often goes like it's about to O.D. on Caffeine, Speed and cocaine) you get one guy who unintentionally basically takes over and just dominates the entire topic. Try to picture posts, each a week apart in time-stamp, just going down the page one after the other.... belonging to the very same member. Once every now & then in a rare while broken up by a lone post or two from a different member. Gets to a point where the other members are like, "Hey, this guy's good. Let's just sit back and read his consistent weekly updates."

And that one guy has no one to play off of, most of the time. And having that mentality, he can't leave a story unfinished. But that certain site has a 15,000 character limit per post. For a writer, that's nothing. It might as well be a 15 character limit!

Give you one guess who that one dude is, in that topic; on that other site. I love that they tune in each week. But I'm seeing an ocean of Monocroms on each page. You wouldn't believe how happy I get, just pure joy, when I check that topic and see my name isn't the last post made! :huh:

So yeah, that's why I didn't make a similar topic on CPF. I didn't even make that one. Someone else did. It would have died a few pages back but I got really into it. I'm sorry to say but I fear the same thing would happen here if I created such a fun and creative topic for us to enjoy in the cafe. Sorry guys. Sometimes creative topics just wouldn't be too popular or fun past the 2nd page.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
There's an Ebb & flow, depending on what you're into, buying/researching always seems more exciting when lots of new releases coincide, all the anticipation & review threads almost too much to keep up with.

Statistics alone, lots of threads sustaining lots of users posting so apparently not too boring!

I agree. For me I'm really on the decline. Zebralights are pretty much at a stand still; I was disappointed in the SC600Fd Plus. After buying a few, I know I have zero use for big throwers and 3- or 4x18650 lights in general. I don't even use 80% of my lights so they just sit around. Just nothing left for me to buy or get excited about right now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was just saying on a thread yesterday the :poof: emoticon used to get used a lot. And how thanks to thermal stepdown you don't see it these days.

Having only been a member briefly in the grand scale of things I have seen a big change in the general direction of topics in my little time here.
I read a lot of threads via the search feature so it's kind of like see-ing the movie. Early CPF topics that were once current on the current medium (VHS so-to-speak) are now available in digital.

Many things have changed with the times. Some people have disappeared, and at times re-appear what seems like briefly, or they go into more of a lurker mode I suppose. Many are still here but just don't have a lot to say. Some are still posting more regularly.
I like it when a member from, say 2006 who has 22 posts chimes into a thread. It causes me to pause and ponder what about that one subject caused that person to post.

Now regarding interesting topics; I suppose to the folks that really enjoyed the heyday of the ROP mags and purchased custom reflectors from members etc find a lot of the current subjects nothing but bubble gum speak with no real nutrional value. Makes sense to this flashaholic. But to the folks who either just discovered 1000 lumens from a Home Depot light or those who hope to obtain the best light $25 can buy it's the golden age. That too makes sense to this flashaholic.

Change is a good thing. Heck if I had my way my work reports would still be hand written on carbon paper. Instead I'm the guy teaching my coworkers how to use Office 365. So I see it from both sides.

I just enjoy the commradery here at CPF, and entering into a lively debate every now and then. Now there are times there are seemingly repeats of the same fluff. But those threads quickly slide down the page into the abyss of page 2 and beyond, then at some point more popular threads re-appear. Then you have the resugence of threads like this one, old Mag threads or stuff from the good old days.

So yeah, I get what folks are saying in regards to things seeming stale sometimes. But this site is still a fun place to hang out, if for no other reason... pix of flashlights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, plenty of pics. of lights. But I have to say that the comradery used to be much better years ago. Ironically, now that the general public has access to the type of lights only true flashaholics could get; we get a lot of new members (though not all) who don't get it, don't care, and just come here to post. And you get the general public attitude to go with it. Destroying much of the comradery that used to exist. That, along with asking the same questions over and over again (without using the Search function) ticks off many of the older members. Then you have the flip side....

For some unexplainable reason (and this happens nearly every time) we get trusted members who start modding or even making custom lights. They sell them direct to members. Things are fine for awhile..... And then they become thieving scumbags! Stealing members' money and not delivering on the goods. And this very same scenario happens a disturbing number of times. Sometimes those members do the right thing for many years, before becoming scumbags! None of us really knows why. But we know it happens. Science can't explain why bumblebees are able to fly. Based on their shape and weight, they shouldn't be able to. Yet they can, and we know they can. Just no clue why.

Same thing on CPF. Off the top of my head, I can name one trusted member who hasn't become a scumbag thief (FiveMega). Other members? Give me awhile to think about it. It would honestly be easier to list the ones who haven't done that, than the ones who decided to steal from us; their fellow members. That sort of thing can destroy an online community. On CPF, it has weakened it to a certain degree. Creating some mistrust. All contributing to a lack of interesting topics.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I know why bees can fly.

~ Chance

To get to the other side of the road?

I don't want to name names, but there are plenty of modders here who do what they say they will do. But with all those companies putting out stock lights that rival previously only unavailable lights expect the modified... well the mod squad gets overlooked by the new crowd.

I said before "the incan section is like the public library where the LED section is like a middle school cafeteria".. or at least something similar.
The library is nice n quiet with lots to read. The middle school cafeteria is loud, chaotic banter with folks hollering to be heard over the din.

Still to me both have their place.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lights have a long way to go, which is why I started making my own headlamps and wrist lights using cpu heatsinks-this spring after trying to modify inferior host lights for last 10 years. My own wristlights. . Too much emphasis on blasters. Too little on 400 lumen runtime on 2x1850 for 10 hour minimum infinitely dimmable. . My led bulbs are only 100lpw, my headlamp is 200lpw, but should be 303 lpw, like the press release. 200lpw lamp level, as the Philips. . Buck drivers for down to 3v at 1 to 2 watts. Infinitely ramping to zero. . All edc should have built in cccv and protection. My 500W led, claims 50k, I am measuring at 30k lumens, while my 600w metal halide is easily 80k....why are most aluminum lights so heavy, could it be that they are not aluminum but alumite? . I know I want aluminum. Not some heavy composite..... I actually watched Lowe's discontinue a light because the led bin was too high and mark up too slim, so it got axed and lower bin replaced it. . What about heatsinking, or lack thereof in store lighting? . Have they discovered a new high heat sinking plastic or optical plastic? . Most, probably not. But maybe on the infinitely dimmable energizer hd+headlight, the optic seems to be pulling heat from the pcb. Good light but needs a better battery configuration for longer runtime while keeping form factor. . What about wireless charging some of these? Wireless charging from a distance perhaps? . It is on the horizon, if the companies get funding. . How soon will we start 3d printing our light hosts? How about a solar strip on every edc to supplement the wireless and usb port, though I still envision keeping the protected 18650 until a higher density comes along ..... I think lights still have a long way to go.

Last edited: