Where to buy reasonably priced magnetic spacers to convert 18650 flat tops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
The question was:

"Who here has used a magnet to convert an 18650 flat top and actually suffered a short or encountered some other problem?"

Let's ask it another way.

Who here HAS USED MAGNETS to convert 18650 flat tops and had no problems doing it?

I think a lot of folks here have used magnets in the past to convert 18650 flat tops but don't want to go against the "cautious flow" the thread has taken.

I have used different types of magnets for years in different configurations in different lights and experienced nary a problem.

Last edited:

fonfan

Enlightened
I used and had no problem. But it's very unsafe and I don't recommend use magnets with LiIon acc.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier I had same problem with Nitecore P36. The P36 battery holder is too small for protected cells (some cells working, but very hard to fit), and not supported flat top cells... but I didn't want to use magnets. I ordered two pcs LG INR18650MJ1 3500mAh cell "button top" version and this solution was perfect for me.

archimedes

Flashaholic

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I didn't search for long, but found this thread easily ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-magnets-with-li-ion-cells!-Dead-short-danger!

... with several posters describing a variety of shorts, close calls, and near misses

This is pretty funny. I started the thread asking where to buy magnets and look what developed from that simple query.

As far as the referred post, I did see it. But it was 11 years old. Have Li-ons changed in 11 years? I would guess so.

And yup, it's full of "close calls and near misses," like car accidents that never happened.

But I must have missed those shorts, unless you count shorts caused by foolish use of magnets.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
This is pretty funny. I started the thread asking where to buy magnets and look what developed from that simple query.

Forum members here may just be trying to help you (and others) stay safe :popcorn: ....

.... Balancing the cost of a short, possible burns, starting a fire, hazardous gas release, etc. Vs $10 for a couple new cells, it is an easy choice for me ....

Sounds like you are aware of the issues, though mickey :shrug:

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as the referred post, I did see it. But it was 11 years old. Have Li-ons changed in 11 years? I would guess so.

And yup, it's full of "close calls and near misses," like car accidents that never happened.

But I must have missed those shorts, unless you count shorts caused by foolish use of magnets.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ets&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

You can Google other places.

Chris

terjee

Enlightened
Safety and number of people having experienced something, just doesn't work like that.

How many people here have had an accident, while drunk-driving, while wearing nothing but red socks?
Few or none? Must be safe then.

It's the same thing really. People deem it not safes for don't do it, so the numbers are low, but that doesn't make it safe.

It's really hard to pin a number or other meaningful measurement on it though. So many different people, lights, batteries, and even magnets. A lot of them are brittle, so even a magnet too large to short the battery could break off a piece, and then short anyway.

Nothing I wrote in this thread was intended as offensive, trolling, putting the OP down for asking (it's good he did), but rather caring enough to comment. I suspect that applies to the majority here, quite possibly everyone.

Oh, and as to changes over time affecting safety, there's definitively been changes, but it goes both ways. There are also more powerful batteries available now, which can be a higher risk.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
How many people here have had an accident, while drunk-driving, while wearing nothing but red socks?
Few or none? Must be safe then.

I appreciate your other comments and cautions concerning this topic.

But your above statement concerning driving is not only illogical but completely fallacious.

terjee

Enlightened
I appreciate your other comments and cautions concerning this topic.

But your above statement concerning driving is not only illogical but completely fallacious.

It was just intended as a pass at humorously illustrating how few failure events doesn't always imply safety, such as if people are simply not doing it, out of either precisely safety concerns, or merely random reasons.

One can't take "it's safe" from lack of bad experiences doing something, if it's not done often enough.

Also, it was just intended as a generic remark, not aimed at anyone, or ment to imply that anyone suggested it. Sorry if it came across the wrong way, not my intention. CPF is a lovely and civilized place, and I always try not to change that.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Ok, OP has his answer for sales of magnets now ... and others have had their say as to potential safety concerns.

So, I think we can go ahead and shut this one down, yes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.