Which 18650's

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Ive got 2 5 year old TrustFire 18650's.

Now that Im stocking up the amount of lights I have, I need some more but Ive absolutely no clue which ones. They shouldnt be too expensive, but safe and good.
A seller in Europe would be great as I live in Germany (tax). Unless the price for 2 is under 22€ then its tax free.

If you dont know any from a europenian seller its ok too.

Thanks in advance!

Pascal

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
avoid any brand with "fire" in the name. The best cell value going are for any cell based on the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah cell. Here in the states 2 can be had easily for under $25. Just about any non XXXXFire 3400mah cell is based on the Panasonic cell.

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
Oh great. How do I find out if it's based on the Panasonic one? Just to be 100% sure.

And what charger would you recommend me?

At this time I got a cheap 2 shaft charger from DX.

ven

Flashaholic
Check NKON.nl out for cells etc:) Nitecore /Xtar for chargers which they have in stock.

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

So I can basically buy any of these batteries as they dont differ much in quality?

And should I buy protected or unprotected ones?

Another question: why is the price difference of these batteries so swaying?

Button top or flat top?

:duh2:

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
No FFFIIIRRREEE branding at all. I suggest Panasonic's.

I default to protected cells. Just bare in mind, they are going to be slightly longer due to the protection circuit. Something like 2mm. So make sure your light has enough spring to fit them. It will also depend a little on what light you are using. If it is a multi cell light, I strongly urge you try protected. But once again, two cells stacked can add 3 to 4mm to your over all length. The next thing to consider is weather or not you need Flat Top or Button Top cells. Once again, this is going to depend on the light.

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
Well I got the Solarforce L2P as my only 18650 Light at this time. I use it with a protected Trustfire 18650 batterie since the beginning of 2011. Back then I ordered two of these batteries and a very cheap no name 2 shaft charger on DX. But I dont really trust that cheap stuff.

I ordered a Nitecore MH20 and a Convoy C8 though. Ill just google if I need flat or button top batteries.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to edit the language in that previous post. The mods will if you don't. = Family forum. :)

Yup you can run protected button tops in all those. I like the Nitecore chargers. They are inexpensive, but work great. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. There are counterfeit ones on the market.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, what lights are they for? Some may suit IMR or INR chemistry over NCR for example. As Str8stroke said, pany are a good option for general use.;)

bmwsancho

Newly Enlightened
I started my lights with Ultrafire and only keep them around because they are the only button-tops I have (just in case a light doesn't like flat-tops).

all my other batteries now are mostly Samsung and Panasonic, they are very good.

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
You may want to edit the language in that previous post. The mods will if you don't. = Family forum. :)
oops.. done :p

Yup you can run protected button tops in all those. I like the Nitecore chargers. They are inexpensive, but work great. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. There are counterfeit ones on the market.
The prices on NKON are good. As you guys recommended me that site I assume its a reputable dealer.

Thanks!

Yes, what lights are they for? Some may suit IMR or INR chemistry over NCR for example. As Str8stroke said, pany are a good option for general use.;)
Solarforce L2P; Nitecore MH20; Convoy C8

Thanks to all of you!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
You assume correct, the NKON site is popular with many flashaholics and comes well recommended :)

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
NKON has a european website, where the price is with VAT. On non-EU websites I might get problems with the customs authorities if the price is >22€.

So theres one protected Panasonic 18650 batterie on NKON, its a 3400mAh one. I think theyre slightly bigger than the 2600mAh ones. Will this cause any problems to any of my flashlights (Solarforce L2P; Nitecore MH20; Convoy C8)? And are they better than 2600mAh ones?

Last edited:

bmwsancho

Newly Enlightened
In Germany you could also try the Oege cells. I picked up a few last year and they have the rated capacity (actually slightly higher). for low to medium amp draws they should be fine and I had mine with free shipping (assuming your lights are not heavily modded).

Oege is based in Dortmund/NRW, I believe.

bmwsancho

Newly Enlightened
They are good. Just won't work in modded high-amp lights; mine peak around 4.5-5.2A momentary draw. Still good enough for most retail lights.