Which brands to stay away from?

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a 21700 formatted LED Torch. I have been out of the market for years, and years and from what I am learning is that the 21700 Batt is the greatest option (certainly not the only option) from raves I have read on this forum. I have a T12 Thrunite now but is probably 6 years old and turbo for what ever reason no longer works. I am looking at Acebeam, Fenix, Nitecore, Olight for now anyway. Are there any manufacturers I should stay away from e.g. quality issues, customer service non-existent or any other reasons? Thanks

David

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

General negative advisement posts on the forum are the least helpful posts, because they do not apply most of the time.

Most of the time, all manufacturers will have an occasional quality control slip up and an occasional issue resolution slip up. The brands that you mention are very nice brands, but they too, on occasion, will see someone posting about a quality control complaint and difficulty with resolving an issue.

Also, one mans' treasure is another mans' trash. Some people operate on a playing field many levels above other peoples' playing fields, and some people operate happily on a playing field many levels below other peoples' playing fields.

The price range that is comfortable for you will yield quality and support that you are comfortable with. For other people, your comfort range may be way too rich, and for others, way too poor.

Your best bet is to research what is out there in the flashlight world, and pick the price/quality point that you are ok/fine with.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree with what Richbuff said, anything and anybody can have an issue slip through now and then. I'll also say this. Seems that happens a lot with Armytek these days and a few years past. Customer service has been reported as shoddy quite often as well.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Rhodie
I answer in that way, from the manufactures you are mentioning, I would prefer Fenix and Acebeam, exactly in this order. But that is only my very personal opinion.

I also had in the past Nitecore and Olight, but I am quite long in the flashlight business, and both are not having the stuff that I am really interested in anymore. For Nitecore I sometimes have the feeling the price for their flashlights is a little bit to high if I compare with other china manufacturers. But like I said, it is only my very personal opinion.

Truckvet

Newly Enlightened
Did you try a Fresh fully charged Battery in your T12? Is it the original one?
I have a 21700 Thrunite that I carry sometimes and am happy with. I bought it
when I saw it compared to a Maratac 21700 that I am also happy with. But I usually
carry a slightly smaller light. I carry too many lights to recommend any though.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
olight is certainly not a brand I would ever buy or even consider, the others are OK though, just try and avoid "Special" batteries ;)

Rhodie

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

General negative advisement posts on the forum are the least helpful posts, because they do not apply most of the time.

Most of the time, all manufacturers will have an occasional quality control slip up and an occasional issue resolution slip up. The brands that you mention are very nice brands, but they too, on occasion, will see someone posting about a quality control complaint and difficulty with resolving an issue.

Also, one mans' treasure is another mans' trash. Some people operate on a playing field many levels above other peoples' playing fields, and some people operate happily on a playing field many levels below other peoples' playing fields.

The price range that is comfortable for you will yield quality and support that you are comfortable with. For other people, your comfort range may be way too rich, and for others, way too poor.

Your best bet is to research what is out there in the flashlight world, and pick the price/quality point that you are ok/fine with.

Could not have read a better reply than yours, very well put, with perspectives and opinions all thrown in. Thanks

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, a lot of people bash Armytek's quality, but I have had no issues with it. My only complaint about Armytek, is that they use such thick aluminum tubes (I presume for robustness), that they're too heavy to EDC.

Anyway, even good brands can have dud models from time-to-time. So, read the reviews here for specific lights you're considering, and forget about brand loyalty.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
An overall brand to stay away from is a difficult question to answer. They are all good if you like what you bought and have no problems. The big problem can be dealing with a defect light. Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer. Dealing directly with a manufacturer can often times be difficult. Battery Junction, Illum, Andrew Amanda, are dealers who have handled defective products for me and I have been very pleased.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
An overall brand to stay away from is a difficult question to answer. They are all good if you like what you bought and have no problems. The big problem can be dealing with a defect light. Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer. Dealing directly with a manufacturer can often times be difficult. Battery Junction, Illum, Andrew Amanda, are dealers who have handled defective products for me and I have been very pleased.

Probably more important than which brand. Authorized sellers generally don't have fakes for one thing. And like the post says they often handle issues with defects too.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Was thinking about this last night, really hope nobody thinks I purchased a light like that, NO WAY!!

clearly ridiculous lumen number = sooo many lights on ebay to NOT buy.

I should hope not, since they're now 12.99.

I had a lousy experience with a $200 light, that I bought from an authorized dealer. I sent it back to them and four months later I still didn't get it back. The dealer gave me a credit towards a new $120 light. I picked one, they sent it to me, I opened the box and it was the wrong light. They refused to take it back. That soured me towards the brand and the dealer. Not stopping anyone else from them, but If I see a thread once a year bad-mouthing the brand, I quietly say, I told you so

negev

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Fenix PD36R from Amazon UK (not a 3rd party seller there). The side switch was very loose and mushy and felt like it would break. Brightness was great and Fenix said the serial number suggested it was a genuine light. Returned it as faulty.