Which Spydie for me?

LowTEC

Enlightened
That's great, because I'm used to larger fixed blades. I also ordered a Spyderco Native C41PBK Plain Edge, was that a good option too?

Native is a great heavy duty knife in a more acceptable size, it's got one of the most comfortable handle IMO, sturdy lock and good blade thickness. Handle is easy for all kind of clothing yet grippy enough for most task. you can't go wrong with a Native. S30V is a plus :thumbsup:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a knife with a substantial handle at least 4 1/2" long, and a flat ground blade anywhere from 3" to 4" in length. I've been looking at three Spydercos and trying to decide between them. That's hard to do without being able to handle the knives.

The three knives I'm considering are the Manix, Mini-Manix, and the Para-Military. They all appear to be very similar in construction and materials. Any suggestions on how to pick the right one? Are there other models I should consider?

Yes, you should also consider an endura, or if you're thinking backup self-defense use, a waved endura. These come with a sabre flat grind rather than a full spine-to-edge flat grind. However, for around $35 Tom Krein will put a full flat grind on for you, and also bring the edge down to any width you like (thinner for higher performance, which is what I did, or thicker for more robustness). If you want something very big and heavy and robust, the Manix and Mini-Manix are better choices; if you want maximum carryability and performance and are willing to give up some of that robustness, the Krein-ified endura is an unbelieveable package.

datan

Newly Enlightened
Hi Nikon,

All the knives you mention are extremely awesome blades. The Manix, miniManix, and ParaMilitary are all overbuilt and can withstand pretty much everything and anything you can abuse them with. They are however very big knives.

The Calypso Jr is also an excelent knife. The Native is probably the best value in terms of bang for buck. Solids knife at a great price....it ends up being my EDC even when I have more solid and more expensive folders around me. The Native seems to be the right size, and performance for me.

If you are considering more blades in the future I would suggest you look at Spyderco Native III (C78 model) which differs from the Native I (C41 model) mainly in the handle being more contoured and better blade steel as well). Others to consider are the Delica, Endura, Caly III.

Cheers
Daniel