Who care about SoS or strobe

huntingfool

Newly Enlightened
Not a fan. Have never used that function in over three years. I am happy with Low,Medium and Burn Retina level.

jsd

Newly Enlightened
I use strobe function sometimes when riding my bicycle.

Additionally, there are a few streets where I use the strobe at night to cross the street after many close calls. I don't like that I need to point a light at driver's faces to make them aware of my presence, but them hitting me or passing inches away with a car is not an acceptable alternative.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I hike in the mountains, sometimes when it's getting dark. We have an amazing search and rescue team that does helicopter rescues. I told my wife to let them know I have a strobe and to mount a night search at night if I'm really missing.

It's unlikely I'm going to get into that kind of trouble, as I hike on familiar trails. But in the event something did happen it very well may be the difference between coming out unscathed...or not. It seems like a fairly obvious emergency benefit to me.

thirstbuster

Newly Enlightened
I live in one of the highest assault rate areas of Canada. While that doesn't mean much to people in other countries, I am not allowed to have many forms of defense. I can open carry a long gun, but that is asking for trouble from LEOs, and an invitation to be shot by gangsters. There is no situation in this country where a firearm is a self defense tool, there is only a judge and jury to explain yourself afterwards. I am specifically looking for a one touch strobe as an intimidation or a moment to get myself out of harms way.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site thurstbuster.

I hope you never need this but...
Streamlights Stinger LED has a quick strobe feature that is pretty good. You click once then hold for raising and lowering settings.
Two quick clicks from off or any settings gets you a strobe that when timed right causes my family members leaving a room to walk into door jams. Everytime. lol

PowerTac makes a "Warrior" with a dedicated strobe switch on the side of the tailcap.
If the light is on it changes settings. But from off it does strobe.

All my friends (including soldiers) like the Stinger approach.
And you can add a wrist lanyard easily to use it as a nun-chuk if worse comes to worse.

thirstbuster

Newly Enlightened
Excellent feedback bykfixer! We have come close twice in the past year. I prefer to be prepared!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Glad to help.

Although where I live the gun powder powered self protection device laws are fairly relaxed I still try to imagine scenarios where that is either illegal or unavailable.
There are potential scenarios where you are caught off guard and only have oh, about 1.5 seconds to react.. regardless of what the laws say are legal or not.

Look around the web for alternatives items the ordinary bad guy would not consider a way to defend yourself. Not pepper spray or stuff like that, which can harm you too. But what bad guy is scared of a fellow carrying an umbrella?
And that Stinger strobe is pretty easy to use, but not easy to activate accidently.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
There was this news article published recently about an army reservist who slipped and broke his leg while walking on a beach, it's not clear if he had a momentary on or SOS setting, but he got the attention of his wife who was in their hotel.

News story.

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
In daily life, not much use for strobe or SOS, but if I go backcountry hiking, I want SOS just in case the worst happens and I'm stuck out in the wilderness. Sure beats blinking out SOS manually.

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Also, I've noticed some mfg do SOS better than others. Some are too slow imo, haven't seen any I consider too fast though.

Last edited:

styks

Newly Enlightened
Ok something got lost in my first post

My original intent was Do we/you or they reakt as intendet for SoS signal that we see or a strobing light and what are we doing when we see it ? dismissing it or take some kind of aktion.

I thing there is a bit differens where the light is if in hi populated areas dont reakt but in forest or off road lightning may make me to take a look.

Simply, yes to SOS where/when ever i see it, no to strobe, SOS means something, strobe means nowt other than someone has a flashlight fetish! :)

Bushman5

Enlightened
I use strobe mode (nitecoreP12GT, NiteCore EA11, JetBeam DDR26, Olight M22 warior) ) somewhere in the neighbourhood of around 50 times a day. On the side of the highway when doing my job (tandem axle truck making frequent stops) I put the strobe on and place the light directly facing oncoming traffic. This has saved my life every day. Motorists will slow right down and often move over a lane. Its even better at night, traffic slows to a crawl.

When i'm walking around town after dusk, i frequently have to use strobe, despite wearing reflective clothing, because Vancouver BC drivers have their heads down in their cell phones. The strobe DEFINITELY wakes them up from plowing thru the people in the crosswalk. (EVEN in the bloody daytime).

I'd love to have a 50,000 Lumen strobe feature. :twothumbs

edit: I've also used strobe mode to stop vicious dogs from advancing, they don't like the strobe. (NOTE: do not strobe a police dog - you'll get arrested for assaulting an Officer) < no i have NOT done this!

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use strobe mode...around 50 times a day. On the side of the highway...I put the strobe on and place the light directly facing oncoming traffic.

Strobing oncoming HWY traffic at night can [and will] cause a serious accident and you will be held liable.

We keep (8) Powerflares in the truck and they work perfectly, day or night. Powerflare is the real-deal and used worldwide by LE and military.

http://www.powerflare.com/products/

Bushman5

Enlightened
Strobing oncoming HWY traffic at night can [and will] cause a serious accident and you will be held liable.

We keep (8) Powerflares in the truck and they work perfectly, day or night. Powerflare is the real-deal and used worldwide by LE and military.

http://www.powerflare.com/products/

its no brighter than the police strobes or the amber strobes on the hwy crew trucks. I've often gotten compliments by Highway Patrol for using my strobe to keep my work space safe when unloading.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
its no brighter than the police strobes or the amber strobes on the hwy crew trucks. I've often gotten compliments by Highway Patrol for using my strobe to keep my work space safe when unloading.

The level of brightness or being complimented by highway patrol doesn't change anything.

You are a civilian intentionally pointing a strobe at oncoming HWY traffic at night. If your luck runs out and you cause an accident, you will be held liable.

What you do is none of my business, I was just expressing an opinion.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There is a difference between a flashing light and a strobing light, although they do appear similar.

Take those 'flashing" red lights on the rear of that rural road riding bicyclist, or attached to the dogs leash.

Most of the so-called strobe on flashlights use very similar pulses as those other flashing lights.
I have a Lux-Pro that has that so-called strobe and I've either used it as a traffic wand or loaned it to police officers who were flagging traffic in an accident or part of directing traffic in one of our work zones. It's not very bright compared to all those other flashing items that tend to blind motorists arriving from a darkened roadway.

Now my Streamlight Stinger has a strobe I would not dare aiming at traffic.

Another option is to place a vehicle in a location, headlights off, flashers on to light up reflective striping in an attention grabbing manner.
We also do that for work zones that are very short and do not allow the travelling public much reaction time.
So using a flashing flashlight can have practical applications but care should be excersized when doing so.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I have a pretty modest collection of lights and only one has a blinking mode. It's not something I'm terribly interested in but eventually I'll likely acquire something with a dedicated strobe.

Personally for me the only real use I'd have it for is if I broke down in a hazardous location I'd likely use it for additional light to make sure I'm seen.

Of course, I occasionally hike as well so suppose it would be helpful in that capacity also.

Though, as far as self defense...we see this come up often in discussion and I've never felt it's a viable option as many other lawful and effective options are available to me, but YMMV, especially outside of the US. IMO, any would be assailant that backs down from a light wasn't very determined to begin.