Why a flashlight need SOS mode?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Every night, when I'm either floating in the middle of the Pacific on an inflatable raft or wandering in the middle of the Serengeti, I am glad to have an SOS with me!
In the Serengeti you may rather want a .375 H&H as your companion :)

NevC

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a tactical as the light specs were what I was looking for.
you seem to be able to get more info on these torches than standard versions.

Re SOS Mode, I am not fussed about having it.

What I do not like is that having to rotate through each mode to get back to full beam mode.

Better mode selection would solve any problems.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I purchased a tactical as the light specs were what I was looking for.
you seem to be able to get more info on these torches than standard versions.

Re SOS Mode, I am not fussed about having it.

What I do not like is that having to rotate through each mode to get back to full beam mode.

Better mode selection would solve any problems.
What light do you have? It is rare to find a quality light these days that you have to cycle through the blinky modes as well.

NevC

Newly Enlightened
What light do you have? It is rare to find a quality light these days that you have to cycle through the blinky modes as well.

I have a generic tactical one that needs to cycle through modes.
Mates have better brands that do same, but they would be classed as older models and most likely old technology.

I have ordered a Crelant V6CS that does not do that.

I am still learning about what is available as I do not see many good brands here in Australia.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is about time they made lights suitable for what most people need.In normal edc use or for the kitchen drawer moon/low/med and high is ideal.For the wannabe 007 secret agents or adventurer hobby/pro user lights could be purchased with all the fancy modes.As a former Lifeboat member, the SOS would be far more beneficial as a signaling device.To me the strobe is just poser mode.

SV_huMMer

Newly Enlightened
The properly implemented SOS mode (i.e. with long enough pause beween "words", so that the whole thing does not become SOSSOSSOS at best, or even SOSOSOSOSOS) does not hurt to have. As a private pilot, I could certainly imagine the use of it, albeit I wholeheartedly wish myself and all others to never have to actually use it for anything else other than "showing off" to unenlightened ones: "Look, what cool new flashlight I have, and it can even do SOS! :)

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
I believe that SOS is potentially beneficial. I think of it as a spare tire that I never want to need to use but wouldn't want to go without.

There are tons of lights that have the hidden STROBE and SOS. Some with direct access to SOS. Lots with memory, no memory, moonlight low, etc. The problem is that you aren't likely to be able to get one at you neighborhood discount store. You probably will need more than one, also.

I like moon mode at night, strobe when I'm on a bicycle, night diving or in the woods, Hidden SOS if I'm on the water, direct to high when I'm looking down the road. And we haven't even begun to talk about flood vs. throw, rechargeable vs primary, clicky vs magnetic switching, or AAA vs 18650. See the pattern?

The prices for good quality lights are below $50 now and there isn't a lot of effort going into user interface design. Many of these lights use the same microprocessor for control and only vary the circuit for current level by use of surface mount components. I have different preferences and mine aren't the same as others. But I don't try to solve my needs with a single light that has the lowest price in the clearance section but some people do. My biggest problem is just trying to remember where I left it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Speaking of SOS mode.... I just accidentally found it on a cheap chinese 2x18650 power bank. It blinks a single 5mm LED and is activated by holding the button that turns the LED ON/OFF for about 5 seconds. I'm not sure it would really be effective due to the low lumen output but running off 2x18650 it probably would run for a week or two continuously.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Many modern flashlights would be useless for tapping out Morse code manually (unless it's a single mode light with momentary). So they put an automatic SOS mode in by default.

If your best does it all tactical flashlight doesn't allow for the simplicity of being able to use it in this way, you might want to consider how good a light it really is.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
We cannot predict many things: traffic accident, heart attack, forest or apartment fire. Of course, better never to face that kind of events, but if happens, SOS light may happen to save ones life.

mbp1

Newly Enlightened
We cannot predict many things: traffic accident, heart attack, forest or apartment fire. Of course, better never to face that kind of events, but if happens, SOS light may happen to save ones life.

I don't disagree with you but this mentality can be taken too far. Evaluating features like an SOS function has to do with assessing the likelihood of using the feature vs. its drawbacks... The likelihood of using an SOS function is incredibly low, probably significantly less than a traffic accident. I would only ever want it on a light if it were quite well hidden and involved no other relevant drawback, but that is for my situation, and others may need it more. But not many, I suspect.

gotothelight

Newly Enlightened
I just wish the SOS setting on my Surefire Invictus wasn't located between "OFF" and "MIN". What were they thinking?

Burgess

Flashaholic
SOS mode ? ? ?

I wish, instead of just Blinking out 3 dots, 3 dashes, and 3 dots

that it did something REALLY helpful and useful !

Dialing 911 , fer' instance . . . .

:p
_

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOS mode would be useful in the classic emergency situation, where you've crashed, you're now going to focus on staying warm, dry, and hydrated, and rest, and or cope with injuries. It needs to be able to run long enough to become a "please find my body" beacon if it comes to that. -SOS should be slow, both for battery duration and readability.

I wouldn't mind a well designed SOS mode as one of Zebralight's flashing modes, but the high and low beacon mode takes care of most of my flashy needs. I like how the low beacon level is tied to the low mode last used, very useful.

Last edited:

pec50

Enlightened
Every other mode on a flashlight has multiple purposes. SOS has only one.
-an old SAR guy

ericjohn

Enlightened
Currently in my edc backpack among other things, I have a special compartment. This compartment contains items that I'll carry if I need to run away or evacuate quickly, but I won't be allowed to bring my backpack. In it I have a UST 2AAA Moon Force flashlight (which is equipped with high, low and SOS.) An incandescent Mini Maglite, black in color. A TI-36X Pro. AND A Midland HH50 pocket weather radio.

These items, along with my two GSM phones and chargers (which are in the neighboring compartments) are the skeleton crew of my edc gear.

Basically, I've been fantasizing about getting away from dangerous people and carrying those items. It's weird, but I think many fellow flashaholics have done similar at one point or another.

Part of the fantasy is hiring the pilot of a small plane (like a stripped down Cessna) and helping him/her navigate through the dark night sky. (Though I have no aviation experience.) Since it is a stripped down model their needs to be a calculator to help with figuring and plotting a course. The weather radio (especially this model) scans for the strongest local signal (good to avoid severe weather while flying.) The Mini Maglite or the UST Moon Force on low mode to help the pilot see his/her instrument panel. Also the UST with SOS mode to initially signal for help or in case the plane crashes and we survive.

Now that I have said that:

I think SOS is a great feature on a flashlight if traveling anywhere, especially by air or water.

For instance, a plane crashing in the middle of nowhere at night the SOS could signal pilots (or rescue crews if the EPIRB is activated.)

Or the same thing on a sinking vessel to signal another boat or a rescue helicopter.

It would also have some use on land inasmuch as the police or other responders might not always understand Morse code, but they will check out a blinking light if for anything else a vision hazard to other drivers.

I'm now thinking of writing that fantasy into a short story.

If/when I do, I will post it on here (Candlepower Forums), but also Writer's Beat and Legend Fire. Would anyone else happen to belong to those forums?

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think S.O.S. and beacon modes are great on any flashlight if hidden. Strobe on the other hand, I feel is pointless unless easily accessible from off.

Latest posts