Why carry two EDC knives?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually have at least two on my person, a small slip-joint (usually a Case) for more delicate tasks and for times that a larger, more "tactical" looking knofe would be out of place, and a larger locking folder like the Buck Vantage Pro for more heavy duty tasks.

Noctis

Enlightened
I EDC a Spyderco Endura w/ZDP-189 that was flat ground by Tom Krein for delicate cutting tasks that requires a razor sharp edge. I also carry an Emerson CQC-Super 7w for self-defense and heavy cutting and any task that might require me to jam a knife into something thick.

The two contrast each other really well. Sort of like a butcher knife and a paring knife.

gdwtvb

Newly Enlightened
I carry two also. My primary is a Spyderco Sage. Not everybody is a knife person and knows how to properly use a knife. When someone asks to borrow my knife I give them my keychain with a spyderco ladybug on it. This solves two problems first I get my knife back, because I will need my keys and second if some idiot tries to use my knife as a crowbar, I'm only out 25 bucks instead of 150.

Grizz

ASheep

Enlightened
I carry a Victorinox Spartan lite in front right pocket, and a gerber suspension on my belt. The gerber is for messy stuff, the SAK blade is for finer things like fruit. Sometimes another folder comes with me, a gerber ripstop or spyderco kiwi, depending on how well i'm dressed :)

WDR65

Enlightened
It all depends on what I'm doing. At work I carry two just in case I manage to dull one cutting rope or strap, Usually a large folder and a mini-folder. While going to town or out I carry a smaller folder and a mini folder as a money clip. Hunting or fishing I am likely to have 3 on me. A medium sheath knife and 2 folders.

I also believe in the one is none, two is one principal.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I duplicate my knives just like my lights-a victorynox Classic SD along with a Quark mini AA in my left front pocket, a Case sod buster and a Fenix E01 in my right front pocket, and a Leatherman Wave and Fenix LD01 Q5 in my tool pouch. I'm constantly crawling under desks, up in ceilings and down under floors. It just makes it easier to have a knife and a light at at least two points on the compass. The tool pouch is in case all else fails. Remember, 2 is 1, and 1 is none! :D

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
At least two. One small one to not freak people out (Kershaw Cryo G10), and one "normal" sized one for my own enjoyment, or more serious tasks (Zero Tolerance 0562). The other reason is for when I need to abuse a knife, I'll do it with the cheaper one (fire steel, or cutting against a destructive surface, like a plate).

SnapperSchneider

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry at least two or three knives with me for different uses through out the day to be ready for anything that I need a blade for. My main knife is a fixed blade knife (J Neilson)with a 3 inch blade hooked on my belt loop in a Kydex sheath and a small Swiss Army (Victorinox) knife on my key chain for smaller choirs. I'll sometimes carry a spring assisted (Kershaw) knife in my right jeans pocket also.

MrJino

Enlightened
My buddy carries 2 knives, which I can't do, just don't like carrying so much stuff.
Also I live in the city and not really a need for more than 1 knife. Though I have spares everywhere in case.

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
Bucking the trend here.

I always just carry one knife. It's larger durable folder (Ontario RAT-1), and I use it for any and all tasks. No one's ever looked at me funny for using it in public - no one ever cared.

To me, carrying more than the one is pointless.

And this is coming from a guy who loves knives. Got quite a bit at home, and all are used in the field - I don't own knives that I don't use.

EDIT: Now, if I'm heading somewhere where I know I'll be using the knife more than usual, I'll bring a backup knife at all times. But that's not an EDC scenario.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I carry two knives, a small victorinox keychain knife for the tweezers, scissors, nail file/screwdriver, and the very thin small blade and a larger buck 3 blade folder for the combination of blades in it. If I could get all of the blades and the other devices in a knife without it being an inch thick or more with a dozen unneeded devices on it and lame choice of blades I would use only one.

jjpth

Newly Enlightened
I always carry two knives, one for random stuff that i don't really have to care too much about the blade and one for the "holy poop i need to cut this right now" stuff.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I suspect the answer differs between those who use their knives all the time, and those of us who open the occasional package. I don't need two knives (and could get by without one at all if I chose to), but people who use theirs throughout the day or for more challenging tasks probably do need two.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I can see if you cut a lot of things like cardboard during the day having a knife that either you can change blades or is easy to sharpen would be good as is having a knife that is inexpensive in case it gets broken.

radiopej

Enlightened
I wondered that myself, though I carry a couple. I've got a Spyderco Delica 4 on me most of the time. However, I keep a Leatherman Wingman in the lab for most tasks there and try not to use the Delica in the lab.

I keep a Gerber Dime in my pocket as an EDC that is less scary to pull out in public.

My backpack has a Leatherman Charge TTi. This was my primary tool/knife for a while and it was great. I just really wanted to buy a new knife when I got the Delica.

So now I have the Delica and Dime combo on me, with a solid multitool close enough if I need tools. The Wingman is used because I'd rather not get my Delica contaminated.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I typically EDC more than two knives. Almost always have both a right and left handed Spyderco Military on me. Also have a left and right handed Benchmade Ruckus. Then I have a small folder that I keep in the watch pocket of my jeans. And Leatherman tool of one sort or another completes the package. Of course a flashlight or two is in the mix as well.

I'm mostle a right handed individual, but can use my left hand just as well if I put my mind to it. Writing included. So it just goes that I like to have a knife for each hand, and preferably the knives should be the same model. I really like that Spyderco made several runs of my favorite Spydie model, the Military. They are an exceptional edc knife, with their full flat grind CPM S30V blade.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do carry 2 blades, 1 primary and 1 backup. My primary would be the likes of hinderer, strider, Spyderco, CRK etc etc which are usually upwards of 3" blades. For the backup it would be smaller blades and will either be a mini grip 556 or dpx gear HEAT/f. The reason being is that, not 1 folder can do everything. And by edc'ing 2, it will be up to most of the task. Moreover, a smaller folder would be more appropriate to be used at public areas.