Why carry two EDC knives?

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
I carry a minimum of 2 sometimes 3. I have an SAK but I consider that a multi-tool and only use the blade for food. I have a larger utility folder of 31/2 inches and most of the time a fixed blade in my bag, sometimes on my person.

forbes617

Newly Enlightened
I carry two on occasion. For me, I like having a solid 3+ incher for my main carry. Living in MA (a notoriously liberal state) makes it sometimes socially unacceptable to pull out a full sized folder. For this reason I will also carry something like a sub 2 inch swiss army knife or friction folder. Those are less likely to raise eye brows in public.

Also, because why not? I have close to 3k in my knife collection. I enjoy my knives and getting to use them and have them on my person makes me happy. So if I hsve open pocket space, I will usually try to fill it with some piece of EDC gear that I may or may not need.

Mike Searson

Newly Enlightened
I tend to carry a medium to large folder like a Severtech Spartan or Emerson Roadhouse for most tasks.
However, I have found over the years that these are considered "Big Knives" to some folks, so I carry something smaller like a Spyderco Cricket to not scare people when they ask if anyone has a knife.

cigarrodog

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying two knives and sometimes 3, since I got my CCL. Most of the time, I carry a CRK Umnumzaan on my left(southpaw) and an AdV Tac Butcher on my right, with a Fred Perrin La Griffe around my neck.

Why the "Arsenal?". Partly, because once you get into knife collecting, it becomes part of the lifestyle. I also collect other EDC items. Don't ask me how many Prybars I carry. It's this passion that brought me here. I also delegate different tasks to the different knifes. Like opening incoming priority mail boxes.

Spade115

Newly Enlightened
Bringing this up a bit.

I carry 3 lol, My large SD Folder (Espada Large 5.5 inch blade) a small folder in front pocket, usually Kershaw Skyline, and a buck 110 in the pocket of my jacket/vest, but that will change to the benchmade hardtail I just picked up.

1 for SD, 1 for cutting box's stuff in front of people (less "aggressive") and a backup.

LedTed

Enlightened
With the help of this group, as the OP, I have chosen two knives for my EDC; a SAK Explorer and Benchmade Valet.

Tom Krein

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry two knives... Sometimes more depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

For or most days two takes care of my needs. I carry a locking knife clipped inside a pocket with a one hand method of opening. This is my go to knife for most needs. Recently it's been a Spyderco Military or a ZT Hinderer.

My my second knife is a Great Eastern Cutlery slipjoint. It's carried in a slip pouch that also holds an AAA light. This one is for fine cutting, food prep, etc. It's not really "needed" but it does have its uses and to be honest I really like its nostalgic feel/look. It reminds me of the knives my grandad and dad used to carry. I guess it's a little sentimental.

Ive vey usually got a SAK Hercules close at hand and if I'm in the woods or hiking it's usually on my belt along with a small fixed blade. Throw a small axe and or folding saw in your pack and you've got most bases covered...

YMMV

Tom

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have never heard of two is one, and one is none? It is a tactical mind set. I always carry at least 2.

Fa Tre

Newly Enlightened
Usually a locking folder paired with a small slip joint or SAK. I use the little guys at work or cutting something for the kids to not raise eyebrows

Chay

Newly Enlightened
I don't carry two knives on me, but I can imagine carrying one for utility and another knife for self-defense, such as a karambit.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I might have 3 on me at any one time, but not always the same 3, as they tend to be task specific...as if I'm on duty or just at home, etc.

I have a small folder on the keychain...and that gets to open packages/make small cuts mostly.

I have several 3-4" folders that I use for assorted other tasks, with one used more for prying or making holes in drywall and other rough/dulling duty for example, and the other used just for cutting....so it stays razor sharp. I have larger fixed blades, and larger folders, but tend not to EDC them...but when camping, etc, I might have them instead or along, etc.

I don't consider folding knives for my self defense per se...in my own use at least, as I have other preferable means, but can see others using them that way.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
I typically only carry one at work/throughout town, if you don't count my two (or three or even four depending on whether cycling multi tools count) multi tools, because I don't need them for scissors, I don't need knives for cutting boxes (God-given hands and nails for that, I break down dozens every day clean and evenly without knives) and I usually use those nails for packages too. I use my partially serrated 3" folder for zip ties and paracord, but even then my multi tools are useable, and I carry a push blade, not for self defense exclusively, but also for the ability in emergency, to push through metals and punch holes into things etc. I despise necklaces, so no neck knife, but including my push blade and folding knife, that's two completely, 180° knives and knife purposes. You can't get farther or further apart in capabilities and uses.

jdboy

Enlightened
I always have at least 2 knives on me. Left front pocket is a Victorinox Alox Mini-Champ on a S-biner in conjunction with a P38 can opener. Right front pocket is clipped whatever EDC knife is in rotation for the day. The Victorinox takes care anything I may need a small pocket tool to do but mainly use the scissors to cut my nails and extract slivers/splinters. The larger EDC blade is used for just that. Anything the Victorinox is too small to do the larger blade can take over. For me I like a larger blade for food prep, such as slicing tomatoes/onions.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
I carry two knives most of the time. One for food, one for everything not food. Not always , but most of the time.

Food knife & "utility" knife. It just looks odd using a leatherman to cut up a steak or spaghetti. Specially if you used it to cut off a diaper or some other dirty job ...

H.J.M.

lj3x

Newly Enlightened
I always have 2. My Leatherman and my Kershaw cryo. 3 when at work as I use my Milwaukee folder with disposal blades as I cut 200-400 boxes in a day not to mention shrink wrap and ties.

Soulskinner

Newly Enlightened
As many other quoted: different tasks, one as back up...or just for fun :D
I usally carry 1 serious Folder (most of the time my trusty SMF) and for social compatibility 1 Victorinix (my co-workers are awfully afraid of my big bad knives). And I also carry always a Fixed Blade...but since in germany everyone is afraid of knives I carry only a small Fixed in public.

Driften

Newly Enlightened
For me its easy... I do it at times just to have two models of knife with me. Like an XM-18 and a Sebenza type of thing...

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have a combination of these with me. I think it's obvious they're utility speaks for itself. Just like carrying an edc light and a larger more utilitarian work light like a G2X Pro or SC600W MK III.
22a7a22d9c02669cb00567575c60a643.jpg

Latest posts