Why do LED lights still suck and why do I still use incans or HIDs, your opinions or disagreements please.

LRJ88

Enlightened
A 2C and 2D Maglite I had back then could hit up the addresses I was looking at from the street back in 2004 and 2005 doing pizza delivery. No LED light had, or still have can do that.
There's LED lights that'll easily light up things far enough away that you'll need binoculars to read it. It's all about finding the right one, same as you wouldn't use a Solitaire as a spotlight.

3_gun

Enlightened
If you want a LED that works well & won't break the bank give the Emisar D1 with a SST-20 at 4000K & 95CRI a shot, might open your eyes to modern lights. Much has change since "07". It's on sale for under $30. If you don't like it let me know I'll take it off your hands for the 30 bucks. It won't make you give up your incans (it didn't me) but you will find some great performance from a LED light

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This, like past incan fan threads shows the pulse of the community. In the past most spoke of other great bulbs and their contribution with some saying "yeah but the LED is catching up". Then it was less about the bulb and more about the marvelous new LED's.

Now it's "incans? why?".

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
FiveMegaSTAN-ThePaki

IMG_7584.jpeg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This, like past incan fan threads shows the pulse of the community. In the past most spoke of other great bulbs and their contribution with some saying "yeah but the LED is catching up". Then it was less about the bulb and more about the marvelous new LED's.

Now it's "incans? why?".
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying bykfixer. Are you alluding that people are coming full circle on incans again? I'm glad I stocked up on bulbs a long time ago.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If incans aren't great then why does Maglite have spectrum white to mimic incans?
For the same reason many homes are built with those horrid fake window panes, even though the glass is one large sheet. Some people just hate change. They're used to old school whatever. Give them anything different, they go into full blown panic mode.

I never could stand incandescent from the time I was a kid. My biggest beef was why so yellow? They made colors look completely different than they did under sunlight. I actually preferred the (really lousy at the time) fluorescents to incandescent. At least they made things which were white look white, not a dirty shade of yellow. Eventually fluorescent got much better in terms of color rendering. Then when LED came along I was stoked. Now we could have white light in form factors too small for fluorescent. LED eventually improved to the point CRI 95 got common, and CRI 98 could be had. Looking at things under a 5000K CRI 98 LED light source is practically the same as under sunlight.

Not sure why anyone would prefer the incandescent look, but for those who do at least LED can do a great imitation these days using 1/10th the power.

3_gun

Enlightened
I'm more in the camp that LEDs are great, not perfect but I don't know that I'd have any incan lights now if I didn't already have those incan lights. I do still pick up the odd ball incan(s) at sales I go to. The most resent were 2 Solitaires & a Goodyear branded Bright Star 2117, all in excellent working condition

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I was saying that as LED's began to compete with light bulbs, it was "LED's, why, light bulbs are great"
Now it's "light bulbs? I suppose you still use a VCR too".
I tossed a perfectly good one out many years ago. Wish I still had it mostly because of the audio recording capability.

I also have old vehicles. They seem to still run fine with maintenance.

Pointless consumer culture.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
That's a
A 2C and 2D Maglite I had back then could hit up the addresses I was looking at from the street back in 2004 and 2005 doing pizza delivery. No LED light had, or still have can do that.
That's a bad example. The mag specifically OVERperforms at distance due to the reflector. You can take that exact same mag, replace the bulb with an led retrofit, and see increased output AND battery life.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a LED that works well & won't break the bank give the Emisar D1 with a SST-20 at 4000K & 95CRI a shot, might open your eyes to modern lights. Much has change since "07". It's on sale for under $30. If you don't like it let me know I'll take it off your hands for the 30 bucks. It won't make you give up your incans (it didn't me) but you will find some great performance from a LED light

I'd recommend a dedomed 519A, probably a 3500K would be closest to an incan.

If incans aren't great then why does Maglite have spectrum white to mimic incans?

Oh I love this sentiment. "LEDs are trying to be incans." Incans themselves were copying gas lighting's light spectrum, so incan fans have no room to criticize LEDs.