Why round bottoms?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So from what everyone is saying, it's a visual gimmick from times before tailstanding was seen as an useful feature?

I guess most lights lacked sufficient output for anyone to think of trying to 'ceiling bounce' one, and since most couldn't be unshrouded in MiniMag (candle mode) fashion, there was nothing to try there either; therefore, no thought of tail-standing. Just speculation - ICBW (and often am;-)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There was a time when a flashlight was a luxury item to most people. Much like a scoop of ice cream or a ticket to a movie. But when the second war to end all wars was over things were very different in America. The hand held electric sunshine was suddenly more than a novelty for folks with loot. And much like today's lumen wars they had what I'll call "lipstick" wars. Who can make the prettiest, most fashionable looking flashlight. It carried over from the 1930's art deco period and combined with the 1950's machine era period.

Now on the tailstand note, go inside a room with no windows, turn off the lights and light a match. Hold it above your head. Note how well you can actually see by that match. Most of America was dark after 9pm until not that long ago. Many members here were probably alive back then. So yeah, setting a 2D flashlight on a table on it's tail was a thing for some. But the bullet shaped tail section was generally a fashion idea that began in the 1920's on 2C lights for "proper gentlemen and the ladies".

Zenster

Enlightened
I know some of those lights were used by old cops, and slid them in their backpockets or sap pockets on their uniform pants.
Eons ago, I think it was Bianchi (holsters) that bought the B-Lite flashlight company. Bianchi sold a ton of holsters and police gear so adding a flashlight seemed to make sense.
I still have a B-Lite flashlight. It's built as tough or tougher than Maglite. They were incandescent at the time (quite dim, of course) so I put an LED in it and use it as my bedside light. It's fun handling a piece of long forgotten history.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bianchi B-Lites were where John Bianchi asked Don Keller to build some flashlights. Don was a big fan of Bianchi leather products. Don designed the lights and hired Tony Maglica to build them. Don Keller was a cop before he left to run Kel-Lite. (LA Sheriff if I recall correct.)

Later Don worked at Maglite. One of my favorite vintage lights is the 2D B-Lite. And yes the bullet shape tailcap was for ease of inserting into a Bianchi holster.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don was a Sheriff's deputy in the early days, I believe. One interesting thing about the B-Lite; Don was already running Pro-Light when Bianchi came along looking for a flashlight line. So the B-Lite is basically a luxury Pro-Light with more fine details, like the bullet tailcap and extended knurling. The finish quality is higher as well, so I'm not surprised Maglica was making them. Although I'd be interested to hear a lot more about the manufacturing situation, since a contract shop making Pro/B-Lite and Kel-Lite parts was selling them out the back door as Gem-Lites. And there are a small number of C-cell Kel-Lites with polished bezel IDs like B-Lites.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know some of those lights were used by old cops, and slid them in their backpockets or sap pockets on their uniform pants.
This! Not an LEO, but can confirm that D-cell lights with a flat bottom are a pain to stick into the Sap pocket of a pair of cargo-pants. If the bottom is rounded, sooo much easier sticking it in there.

Oddly, my very warm and very non-tactical, standard Wrangler cargo-pants still incorporate a Sap pocket. (But obviously they call it something else.) Huge recommendation from me. Just don't rest your thumbs inside the belt-loops. They're skinny and tear a bit too easily. Other than that, great pants!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Chicks dig the big flashlight.
Yup. Good, solid, peace of mind. Something satisfying to hold onto.
Just a shot in the Dark, but I'm willing to bet they prefer one with a rounded end as well. Maybe the two actual female CPFers will chime in regarding what they prefer to have inserted into their Sap pockets.... on their cargo-pants. :)

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
I just realised the UK had Vesta lights. Not a rounded bottom, but a rounded top. Like a cartridge made from brass. The function of the rounded part is to hold the lensed bulb in place but just a bit of style too i guess.

20240114_001847.jpg