Why do you buy more than one of the same light?

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Some reasons for having 2 (or more) of these:
2 Olight Baton S10/2 Fenix MC10 Anglelight/several Tank 007/E09/ 2 Sunwayman M20c/ 2 Sunwayman V20A/ 2 Olight M20x Warrior Special ops/ 2 Balder SE-1
wow - lol - never imagined I had so many in duplicate
- it´s just too good: backup if You loose it/ break it, although never broke one
- I like it, have to share: gift for family&friends
- it´s on special offer, never will get that price again
- it´s a cheap second together with the main order, saves on shipping
- could use the same in the car too
- lost it, had to buy it again, 8 months later found it, was in the winter jacket:)

Lumenski

Newly Enlightened
Why buy more than one of the same light? Uhh, well, hmmm. I need one in my boat, my car, my truck, my motorcycle , my house. So if I only have 2 of the same, I'm actually being reasonable. Not sure how to explain why I have 3 or 4 or 5 torches in each rig though. But they are great for storing extra lithium batteries safely. Yeah, that's it. She will buy that. And If she questions it, I will just fake dead battery breakdown on a dark scary road, then tell her: "Sorry, I took all the flashlights out of the rig just to please you, honey. Got a match?"

That'll shut her up. But then she will just move on nagging me about my knife collection. Or my other toys.

Maybe I'll just have to start collecting earplugs.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why buy more than one of the same light? Uhh, well, hmmm. I need one in my boat, my car, my truck, my motorcycle , my house. So if I only have 2 of the same, I'm actually being reasonable. Not sure how to explain why I have 3 or 4 or 5 torches in each rig though. But they are great for storing extra lithium batteries safely. Yeah, that's it. She will buy that. And If she questions it, I will just fake dead battery breakdown on a dark scary road, then tell her: "Sorry, I took all the flashlights out of the rig just to please you, honey. Got a match?"

That'll shut her up. But then she will just move on nagging me about my knife collection. Or my other toys.

Maybe I'll just have to start collecting earplugs.

Are you not allowed a hobby?.How strange your Wife/GF would nag,finding it difficult to understand.

Last edited:

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Because you have other members of family and/or guests to entertain and women like everything the same but i get your drift and next time i buy a light i will buy a set of six and eat my meals with them sat facing me. :rolleyes:

Never underestimate the value of consistent, matching sets. :crackup:

If I were a singleton, with no family, or friends or property, etc, I'd be fine with just my edc, all the time. But I'm not.

If you have more than one car, each car should have the same set of lights stashed away. If you have stuff set aside in case the power goes out at home, you might have one 'set' downstairs and a matching set upstairs- bonus points if the 'issue' lights you hand out to friends/neighbors match. If you have kids, they each get one of the same light.

Standardization and commonality helps me with spare parts and maintenance, reduces/eliminates training issues involved in using the lights, and having things *match* makes the wife happy. You have a china SET, not a collection of delightful one-offs.

ven

Flashaholic
My experiences and uses...
A few year back i liked the form factor of the little zoomable lenser p3 :tinfoil:run on a single AAA that kicked out a whopping 16lm ..........yeh baby:candle:

It at the time was a good key chain light(note the "at the time bit") so had a few,3 on keys,couple in work.....still have a 1 in draw,1 in work...........gave others away a while back.
Now use i3s and i3 eos on some keys........

Although not exactly the same i bought a d25cvn ti so wanted the d25a ti too as love them that much!!
I had a t7 and replaced it with a t7.2 so gave the t7 away.

I can understand having a couple or even more if it is a great light for a specific use,i mean why not........if i know i have a great light at home and would be good for work/camping etc,why not buy more than 1 if you have confidence in it and like the UI.

Another example was the other night,rach(the boss) loved the tk75vn,liked the ceiling bounce and said"if i had 4 of them i could use them in studio" so another reason for more of the same lights(them=not knowing what the light was even though explained :laughing: ) She would have to pay for that though:D and explained not ideal being tail stood ,left for a period of time.........(does not know about heat caused,18650 li ion cells x 4 and 4400lm etc)but i digress,just an example of having more than 1 light for a reason.

Other options are hosts,again if a light offers a good host,then multiples of the host makes sense for mods............

In general i like to mix things up,like to have different lights,different tints,different cells,mods,but thats me............:twothumbs

dr. Chernobyl

Newly Enlightened
I am considering another T10S when I save up some money, it is a pretty light, one would be for hard EDC use and another for light use at home, I hope they release Ti version

ven

Flashaholic
I am considering another T10S when I save up some money, it is a pretty light, one would be for hard EDC use and another for light use at home, I hope they release Ti version

Its a great light and i use in work,ti would be tempting but not heard anything fact as of yet!

But why not get a d25a ti,another great light(next to the t10s) and a ti too

dr. Chernobyl

Newly Enlightened
Its a great light and i use in work,ti would be tempting but not heard anything fact as of yet!

But why not get a d25a ti,another great light(next to the t10s) and a ti too

I did some research on d25a and you are right, it is really a great light, Im definitely putting it on my list :D

edit - also jetbeam tcr10 is very appealing, a bit expensive though

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes the TCR10 is very appealing,i will throw in a sunwayman m11r ti too :D

Being on topic i would happily have 2 of any mentioned :laughing:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never underestimate the value of consistent, matching sets. :crackup:

If I were a singleton, with no family, or friends or property, etc, I'd be fine with just my edc, all the time. But I'm not.

If you have more than one car, each car should have the same set of lights stashed away. If you have stuff set aside in case the power goes out at home, you might have one 'set' downstairs and a matching set upstairs- bonus points if the 'issue' lights you hand out to friends/neighbors match. If you have kids, they each get one of the same light.

Standardization and commonality helps me with spare parts and maintenance, reduces/eliminates training issues involved in using the lights, and having things *match* makes the wife happy. You have a china SET, not a collection of delightful one-offs.

Are you ex military forces? I have something light wise in my car as a back up to my edc god i sound a saddo saying that.I probably could muster a couple of decent lights on my boat but i have no need to have the same lights,variety is the spice of life.

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Are you ex military forces? I have something light wise in my car as a back up to my edc god i sound a saddo saying that.I probably could muster a couple of decent lights on my boat but i have no need to have the same lights,variety is the spice of life.

No, I just hate not having the right o-rings or boots or whatnot. And having to spend time teaching someone to use a flashlight takes all the fun out of it.

Variety is for my own edc. Slightly bulked out numbers of lights that just work are for everything else. Don't get me wrong, I only have 17 lights total right now so there's only so much standardized filler I've bulked up my collection with. But I have a *lot* of pairs of things. :twothumbs

magellan

Honorary Aussie
<<Sometimes more than 4...>>

I count 12 of the same light. :wow:

There are collectors......and then there are sick puppies......muhahahahaha!!!

(Me too) :devil:

Mine include:

2 Helix Zi zirconiums from Veleno designs (one 6 trits & one 12 trits)
2 Smith & Wessen incandescents (a 3xD and a 4xD) in black
2 Greatlite 3xD incandescents (in blue & purple)
2 Maglite 4xD (in red and blue)
3 NorLite 3xD 32 LEDs in black
3 limited edition JetBeam TC-R10 Ti titaniums
3 Maglite 2xAA gold plate over brass
3 Maglite 1xD custom LEDs in green, red, and blue
3 Maglite 3xD rare jade green color
4 Maglite 2xD in various colors
4 double grooved titanium lights by Photon Fanatic
5 limited edition Novatac 120P in silver
5 limited edition Novatac 120E in silver
5 Maglite 3xD Spectrum series (hand-made rainbow colors)
7 Maglite 3xD's in different colors
~40 Maglite 2xAA's in different colors and designs

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
I have multiples of handhelds and headlamps because I have more users than just me. The others aren't interested in training to use or figuring out under stress how to make fancy flashlight model XXXX work. For them KISS rules, twisty single mode Surefire/Malkoff M61L or LL and Surefire Saint Minimus headlamps. I would have bought multiple Surefire T1As, but the cost never became reasonable. Those would have been the perfect companion to the Minimus headlamps.