Why do you EDC?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
True EDC items are my keys w/E01v2, phone, wallet & Cold Steel SR1Lite or vintage Voyager. Next up is gun of the day, 75b, G2C or 586, usually w/a reload[or2]. If you've never seen me w/o pants you've never seem me w/o at least these with me.

One[or more] of over 30 different flashlights gets added next, usually an Emisar D4k duel channel. If I'm dressing up a D4v2Ti is a common choice as is a FW3aCu. If I know it's going to be a long day into night the EDC light might be back up for a D1/E70mini pairing.

Next we have the multi tool &/or pocket knife. Leatherman & Swiss Army rule this group. The Wave+ & Cybertool34 the most common picks out of over 20 or so. Last is the backpack: 550 cord, 1st aid kit, 6k/mah battery pak w/cables, Sofirn SC31pro, Berkey water bottle, GPS, umbrella, pens, pencils, markers +paper; then added needs for the day.

EDC is really a state of mind than an item(s). I have an EDC pool that is mix n match dependent on the day & planned events. This was taught to me by my Dad, Grandpa & the Boy Scouts. Over the last 50+ years the things/items have changed but not the mind set
Since you mentioned a backpack, may I suggest adding a few items? These may be in your "EDC pool" already.

-toilet paper (small compact camper-type)
-Pocket pack of Kleenex
-Wet Ones pocket pack
-Tide Stain Treatment pen/stick
-Butane lighter
-Tiny sewing/repair kit
-Eyeglasses repair kit and lens wipes if you wear glasses
-Small hygiene kit w/razor, extra blades, shaving soap or cream, styptic pencil, stick deodorant, sample size tube of toothpaste, tooth brush, after shave lotion or cologne, washcloth and small hand towel small bar of soap.
-Pair of socks, type chosen depending on climate and season
-Change of underwear
-Hat or cap
-Sun screen
-Insect repellent
-A couple of N95 respirators
-A pair of safety glasses and/or goggles
-Three pair high NR ear plugs
-Three pair Nitrile gloves
-Pair of leather work gloves
-Pistol cleaning kit
-Small compass
-Portable AM/FM/WX radio
-Scanner radio and/or dual-band Ham HT w/batteries
-Bandanna or shemagh https://thesurvivaljournal.com/shemagh/
-A fixed blade survival knife if local regulations permit, w/sharpening tool
-A coil of steel wire, suitable for wiring things in place or making snares
-A small assortment of fasteners, nails, screws, nuts and bolts.
-A small "fishing kit" with hook, line and sinker.

On your key chain or in pants pocket may I suggest adding a key chain size OC. I buy Sabre Red products, they are Made in the USA in Missouri. https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spray-and-personal-safety-products Hopefully this will prevent having to use lethal force.

ETA: I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS OF ALL! DUCT TAPE AND WD40!

Last edited:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---dealgrabber2002--- For the most part I everyday carry to help me navigate this confusing world. I am on the spectrum. This place is rather nonsensical to me. I do not mean to sound uppity, I just do not understand quite a few things out there in the world. So, having a pack full of things I can rely on to solve problems is both utilitarian and emotionally comforting. I imagine it must be similar to what a service dog provides for some people. Also, a lot of what I carry has to do with dealing with sensory issues especially light, touch and noise. Physically I am rather uncoordinated which means walking at night is more of a challenge for me than most which is why I carry and stage multiple lights.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
---dealgrabber2002--- For the most part I everyday carry to help me navigate this confusing world. I am on the spectrum. This place is rather nonsensical to me. I do not mean to sound uppity, I just do not understand quite a few things out there in the world. So, having a pack full of things I can rely on to solve problems is both utilitarian and emotionally comforting. I imagine it must be similar to what a service dog provides for some people. Also, a lot of what I carry has to do with dealing with sensory issues especially light, touch and noise. Physically I am rather uncoordinated which means walking at night is more of a challenge for me than most which is why I carry and stage multiple lights.
Makes more sense than the folks in my demo - live in the suburbs, work in an office, hobbies do not include significant time spent in dark places or off the grid - that carry pockets of lights and a rucksack full of preparedness stuff.